Disney-Charter battle highlights bundling demise?

More news-

But Spectrum is dropping Baby TV, Disney Junior, Disney XD, Freeform, FXM, FXX, Nat Geo Wild and Nat Geo Mundo.

I have been saying for awhile then they to start consolidating channels, no reason to have 3 FXs, 3 Disneys in today’s world, the only reason was more $$$ from subscribers in per sub fees.

I keep posting the next 2 years will be very telling in how the business will change, here is another sign.

My guess is those channels will soon go away, since they will be taking a big hit in per sub fees, of course, advertising will take a hit also.

So get Charter’s expensive service, get free the ad version of Disney+, which helps Disney make even more money from the ads.

Hilarious.

That was Spectrum's entire point though. They were willing to give them an increase, but wanted the streaming versions included in exchange for that increase. They made the same argument- that Disney would make $$ off the ads on the streaming package, so it was a win win. Sounds like Disney blinked first to me.

By the way, if Disney does shut those channels down, more tax breaks.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
That was Spectrum's entire point though. They were willing to give them an increase, but wanted the streaming versions included in exchange for that increase. They made the same argument- that Disney would make $$ off the ads on the streaming package, so it was a win win. Sounds like Disney blinked first to me.

Charter wanted them provided to them for free. They are instead paying for them to include them for some tiers of customers (the mentioned wholesale agreement). They offset this in part by carrying fewer of Disney's channels - which as Bruce suggested are probably on the chopping block anyways as Disney continues to restructure things.

Any content (if any) exclusive to those channels could probably just be shifted to streaming exclusively once they've outlived their usefulness with traditional providers. The younger audiences they cater to are more likely to be streaming it anyways.

It's a win-win for the most part, but Disney got what they wanted - no paradigm shift in how traditional and streaming channels are offered. I am sure if other providers want to do them the favor of reselling Disney streaming services to their customers for them in exchange for a wholesaler fee they're all (mouse) ears.

Disney said Hulu + Live TV signups increased 60% higher than expected during this dispute, can only wonder the combination of being the new home of Sunday Ticket and this dispute did for YTTV numbers.

By the way, if Disney does shut those channels down, more tax breaks.

the matrix GIF

I have been saying for awhile then they to start consolidating channels, no reason to have 3 FXs, 3 Disneys in today’s world, the only reason was more $$$ from subscribers in per sub fees.
I think you mean the bundles that were protecting consumers...

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
I think you mean the bundles that were protecting consumers...
Yes, that is definitely what they were doing, it was always for the consumers benefit, at that amazing inexpensive price.

ESPN+ is included also in this new deal.

Yes, that is definitely what they were doing, it was always for the consumers benefit, at that amazing inexpensive price.

ESPN+ is included also in this new deal.

Yeah, if you subscribe to one of the higher tier packages.

This does seem like a win-win. I ponder if the premium to get ad-free is going to grow.

Pretty wild to see the actual line in the sand though. No Disney (and by extension depriving some customers of some NFL games among other things) and their entire video operation becomes non-viable.

now about having access to the future ESPN streaming service. It also gets flexibility on the packages it offers, suggesting ESPN won’t be required in as many options.

so will ESPN streaming service have stuff not on the main channels?
Will they beable to make ESPN an add on channel when it get's started?

what will the priceing of non ESPN packages show an big price drop?

now about having access to the future ESPN streaming service. It also gets flexibility on the packages it offers, suggesting ESPN won’t be required in as many options.

They just permanently dropped 8 channels and I suspect there will be no price changes. Doubt there's anything arranged relating to future ESPN standalone stuff unless ESPN+ morphs into that instead of it being an addon for it. Either way, 'reply hazy try again later' - no real way of knowing right now.

Edit: ah, I see where you got some of this, articles being updated as more information becomes available since i'd read them.

The deal appears to address some of Charter’s concerns, including offering Disney+ to customers and having access to the future ESPN streaming service. It also gets flexibility on the packages it offers, suggesting ESPN won’t be required in as many options.​
No real way to know until we see the plans though.

$81.99 for 100s of spectrum channel with Cloud DVR is not bad. All i'm missing are the premium movie channels. $39.99 for 600 mb internet.

Disney/ESPN package is the Entertainment View add on $12.99.

With streaming, there's no need for all these linear filler channels. Watch the primary channel, if you miss content, grab it from streaming. How many people are watching FXM in SD stretchovision on DirecTV when the same movies are on Hulu in HD/4K?

This is the correct move. Anyone who's willing to watch a movie with commercials (which probably gets 0.0001 rating) on TV can watch it on ad-supported streaming now. If I'm an advertiser, I'd rather throw my money at streaming anyway because i can target my ads.

Reactions: navychop
With streaming, there's no need for all these linear filler channels.

Streaming services are built for linear filler channels. Peacock and Paramount+ already have them. Heck, they could stand up a 50s channel, 60s channel, themed channels, seasonal channels, etc using the content that they already have in their libraries.

One part of every streaming service can look like Pluto, with all sorts of tacky channels.

It really wouldn’t take anything to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Streaming services are built for linear filler channels. Peacock and Paramount+ already have them. Heck, they could stand up a 50s channel, 60s channel, themed channels, seasonal channels, etc using the content that they already have in their libraries.

One part of every streaming service can look like Pluto, with all sorts of tacky channels.

It really wouldn’t take anything to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I meant that with streaming in existence, there's no need for filler channels on cable TV (like 3 versions of MTV, FX, or Nat Geo). On streaming, yes, they can do whatever they want with minimal impact.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Marchand and Ourand had some guy named Justin Connolly from Disney's carriage unit on this week's podcast. I will admit that I have little respect for most upper-middle management types. Mostly empty suits, but this guy takes it to a different level. Truly clueless. Worth a listen, it made me yet more certain that ESPN, and perhaps Disney, are on the path to bankruptcy.

• Sad
Reactions: comfortably_numb
Marchand and Ourand had some guy named Justin Connolly from Disney's carriage unit on this week's podcast. I will admit that I have little respect for most upper-middle management types. Mostly empty suits, but this guy takes it to a different level. Truly clueless. Worth a listen, it made me yet more certain that ESPN, and perhaps Disney, are on the path to bankruptcy.
I can see why you did not like it, he pretty much mirrored everything I have been posting here, including the part about ESPN still being in the bundle for those who still want it and offering it to the cord cutters also.

View: https://youtu.be/gsmJlNbgfR8?si=7WkqdpOGZd37vLTN