Disney-Charter battle highlights bundling demise?

I stream using the Spectrum app. I have the Cloud DVR plus (100 recordings). Watch on any tv or device. I record a lot of sports, movies, tv, etc. Nice to watch and fast forward thru the commercials. No limit on multiple recordings.
That is helpful to know. I am trying to help my parents who currently have Spectrum. Thanks!

Reactions: comfortably_numb
That is helpful to know. I am trying to help my parents who currently have Spectrum. Thanks!
You have to get them comfortable with streaming. Cloud dvr is via the Spectrum App and streaming. Spectrum App
can be downloaded on Samsung, Roku tvs, and roku streaming devices. App doesnt download to LG, Vizio and firestick. I use 4K roku 3810r stick for my non compliant tvs.

Reactions: ncted
You have to get them comfortable with streaming. Cloud dvr is via the Spectrum App and streaming. Spectrum App
can be downloaded on Samsung, Roku tvs, and roku streaming devices. App doesnt download to LG, Vizio and firestick. I use 4K roku 3810r stick for my non compliant tvs.
They have Roku devices and used to use my Netflix account occasionally before they ended password sharing.

Hope they are using the Spectrum App to avoid box fees. DVR shows up under My library. You can schedule remotely using pc or smartphone.

Attachments

• IMG_2438.jpg
    IMG_2438.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2441.jpg
    IMG_2441.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 53
I can see why you did not like it, he pretty much mirrored everything I have been posting here, including the part about ESPN still being in the bundle for those who still want it and offering it to the cord cutters also.
Yep. This guy ACTUALLY BELIEVES that there are people so stupid as to pay for a cable bundle of channels they don't watch and thus enable Disney to sell it to so called cord cutters (actually cord switchers) at a fraction of the legitimate price.

Memo: The cord switchers switched cords to get away from paying for sports. They don't like sports. At least not enough to pay for them. They have been doing without sports for years. People that can do without sports for that long, don't like sports. They are fine with their estrogen soaked melodramas.

Memo: In the bundle ESPN is very valuable. It is the only way to get ESPN is to get cable (or one of its alternative delivery methods). People that waiver on whether to drop cable or not, are, if sports fans, persuaded to remain because they cannot lose ESPN. People that feal the same way about some other genre do the same, paying for ESPN while not watching it. Outside the bundle, no cable company should carry ESPN at all, just toss up a cheap lineup for the remaining cable demographic and tell customers that want ESPN how to sign up. If actual cable won't, certainly a streaming alternative, or Cheap Charlie, will.

Multiply the ratings times the costs are you are in three figures per month for the legitimate price. The math is as undeniable as it is simple.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
Yep. This guy ACTUALLY BELIEVES that there are people so stupid as to pay for a cable bundle of channels they don't watch and thus enable Disney to sell it to so called cord cutters (actually cord switchers) at a fraction of the legitimate price.

Maybe because there are people "stupid" enough? Or they're old and resistent to change..

Reactions: Juan
Hope they are using the Spectrum App to avoid box fees. DVR shows up under My library. You can schedule remotely using pc or smartphone.
That is one of the options I am going to discuss with them. Currently, they are paying for 2 DVRs.

Memo: The cord switchers switched cords to get away from paying for sports. They don't like sports. At least not enough to pay for them. They have been doing without sports for years. People that can do without sports for that long, don't like sports. They are fine with their estrogen soaked melodramas.
Casual sexism aside, you're kind of close on this. Cord switchers wanted to pay less, and much of the cost of the cable bundle is sports. That said, aside from Philo and one Sling package, all the major live streaming services include a lot of sports, so mission failed?

While you can use the app to avoid box fees, Charter/Spectrum still charges for the DVR and then the Broadcast Channels fee.

When we moved to Florida, flirted with getting the service, but those two fees ( plus other fees) made it more expensive then YTTV.

Casual sexism aside, you're kind of close on this. Cord switchers wanted to pay less, and much of the cost of the cable bundle is sports. That said, aside from Philo and one Sling package, all the major live streaming services include a lot of sports, so mission failed?
We are not there yet. As far as linear alternatives to cable/DBS are in their infancy. It doesn't really take much to set one up. A few servers and some wires. TODAY you need to bundle to get ESPN, the Worldwide Leader In Sports, so, of course, all include it. BUT if Disney is really stupid enough to sell it a la carte, it won't take 5 seconds for someone to figure out that there are millions of people who want a sports free, bundle entertainment experience. Those that want ESPN, can add it in. ESPN, if available, outside the bundle, serves no purpose within it. It can be one thing, or the other, but not both.

The same can be said for any genre. Millions would want the bundle, sans the ethnic channels, the religious channels, the children's and teen's channels, the news channels, the _____ wing news channels, the female oriented channels, the male oriented channels, etc.

A la carte means less diversity, because no one thing is popular enough to be made in the first place. Because the bundle protects the consumer.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
Maybe because there are people "stupid" enough? Or they're old and resistent to change..
Some people ( generation x and boomers and some millenials) just like watching TV where all you need to do is punch in a channel number or make a selection off a guide..to them that is TV...it comes from waaay back in the day when you only had 3 OTA channels ..and you had to get up off the couch to turn the channel and maybe reorient the TV antenna

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Some people ( generation x and boomers and some millenials) just like watching TV where all you need to do is punch in a channel number or make a selection off a guide..to them that is TV...it comes from waaay back in the day when you only had 3 OTA channels ..and you had to get up off the couch to turn the channel and maybe reorient the TV antenna
The biggest growth to streaming from those moving away from Traditional Providers is in the Gen X age range, myself included.

The vast majority of Gen Y are the either got rid of paid Live TV or the Cord Never groups, both of my kids fit in Gen Y and never had a Live TV Service.

The extremely vast majority of Gen Z are definitely the Cord Never group.

The vast majority of Boomers are the ones hanging on to it.

Last edited:
The biggest growth to streaming from those moving away from Traditional Providers is in the Gen X age range, myself included.

The vast majority of Gen Y are the either got rid of paid Live TV or the Cord Never groups, both of my kids fit in Gen Y and never had a Live TV Service.

The extremely vast majority of Gen Z are definitely the Cord Never group.

The vast majority of Boomers are the ones hanging on to it.
As a Boomer "That's my story and I'm sticking to it."

It can be one thing, or the other, but not both.
I respectfully disagree.
The same can be said for any genre. Millions would want the bundle, sans the ethnic channels, the religious channels, the children's and teen's channels, the news channels, the _____ wing news channels, the female oriented channels, the male oriented channels, etc.
I agree, most people would want the bundle if, and only if, the content was there and it didn't cost way too much, which is not the current or recent state of things.

I respectfully disagree.
Why would any cable (or alternative) company offer ESPN in a bundle?

The majority of customers do not like sports, do not want ESPN. So you offer a bundle w/o ESPN. Customers that want it can sign up for it, a la carte. In the bundle, ESPN is very valuable, the ONLY way to get ESPN is to get the bundle. A la carte, ESPN is toxic. Since the minority of customers who want it can get it outside the bundle, they will do so; and the majority of customers, who do not want it, will find the things they want w/o it.

Same for every other genre

Why would any cable (or alternative) company offer ESPN in a bundle?

The majority of customers do not like sports, do not want ESPN. So you offer a bundle w/o ESPN. Customers that want it can sign up for it, a la carte. In the bundle, ESPN is very valuable, the ONLY way to get ESPN is to get the bundle. A la carte, ESPN is toxic. Since the minority of customers who want it can get it outside the bundle, they will do so; and the majority of customers, who do not want it, will find the things they want w/o it.

Same for every other genre
The majority of customers are not living by themselves. The live with family, roommates, etc. with varied interests, many of whom like sports, drama, comedies, news, gardening, cooking, etc. A la carte ESPN solves the problem for the people who only want sports while bundled, either in a cable package or with other streaming products, solves it for everyone else. This is what happens when disruption fragments markets. Having been through this before in my job (online news media), I believe the only way to survive it is by having a diversity of options for customers to choose from. We called it the "and" business model because "either/or" doesn't keep the company afloat. Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Looks like it has come to fruition. Disney and Charter have reached an agreement and what is telling is that 8 channels have been excluded from the bundle: Baby TV, Disney Junior, Disney XD, Freeform, FXM, FXX, Nat Geo Wild and Nat Geo Mundo. Perhaps the era of the overly bloated bundle is finally coming to an end.

Disney And Spectrum Reach Carriage Agreement, Ending Epic 10-Day Impasse In Time For ‘Monday Night Football’; Eight Networks To Remain Dark In Deal Touted As “Innovative Model For The Future” – Update

Looks like it has come to fruition. Disney and Charter have reached an agreement and what is telling is that 8 channels have been excluded from the bundle: Baby TV, Disney Junior, Disney XD, Freeform, FXM, FXX, Nat Geo Wild and Nat Geo Mundo. Perhaps the era of the overly bloated bundle is finally coming to an end.

Disney And Spectrum Reach Carriage Agreement, Ending Epic 10-Day Impasse In Time For ‘Monday Night Football’; Eight Networks To Remain Dark In Deal Touted As “Innovative Model For The Future” – Update
Disney has been planning to either sell or shut those channels down.

Shutting down is the option they have been thinking about the most, get a major tax break from doing so.

Reactions: navychop