Disney Networks Dispute Recitifed

Luckily I get ESPN+ with my cell phone plan or I would be canceling today. The downside is I can’t use the DVR to set a timer if I won’t be home in time before the start of a game.
Does ESPN+ include the main ESPN channels, or just the + and ESPN3 offerings?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Scott Greczkowski is there a link for the list of ABC affiliates lost?

I don’t believe any were lost. No mention of any in the press release.

Here is the press release.

The Walt Disney Company Forces Channel Blackout for Millions of

DISH TV and SLING TV Customers

Disney initiates channel blackout, holds viewers hostage for negotiation leverage

Disney ignores DISH’s extension offers, walks away from table

Disney demands nearly a billion dollar increase

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., October 1, 2022 – The Walt Disney Company today forced a channel blackout on DISH TV and SLING TV, affecting favorites such as ESPN, FX, Disney Channel, Freeform and National Geographic, as well as ABC locals in seven markets. The media conglomerate declined DISH's offer for a contract extension, walked away from the negotiation table and refused to keep its programming accessible for millions of DISH and SLING customers across the United States. The removal of these channels will also have an oversized impact on rural consumers who rely on satellite television as a primary means of entertainment.

“Disney has exploited its market position to increase fees without regard for the public viewing experience,” said Brian Neylon, executive vice president and group president, DISH TV. “Clearly, Disney insists on prioritizing greed above American viewers, especially sports fans and families with children who watch their content.”

As one of the nation’s largest media conglomerates, Disney is more interested in becoming a monopolistic power than providing its programming to viewers under fair terms. Disney plans to spend billions on its direct-to-consumer streaming services such as Disney+ and ESPN+ — platforms not included for DISH and SLING customers.

“We will continue to negotiate to provide the best value for our customers. We want to provide customers with fair rates, reliable service and the freedom of choice to pay for the channels they watch most,” added Gary Schanman, executive vice president and group president, SLING TV. “Disney is an important long-term partner for us, and we hope they will be reasonable in their demands so we can reach a fair agreement and bring our customers' channels back as quickly as possible.”

ABC-owned locals that have winked off Dish and Sling TV are: Chicago (WLS), Fresno, Calif. (KFSN), Houston (KTRK), Los Angeles (KABC), New York (WABC), Philadelphia (WPVI), Raleigh, N.C. (WTVD) and San Francisco (KGO).

I don’t believe any were lost. No mention of any in the press release.

Here is the press release.

The Walt Disney Company Forces Channel Blackout for Millions of

DISH TV and SLING TV Customers

Disney initiates channel blackout, holds viewers hostage for negotiation leverage

Disney ignores DISH’s extension offers, walks away from table

Disney demands nearly a billion dollar increase

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., October 1, 2022 – The Walt Disney Company today forced a channel blackout on DISH TV and SLING TV, affecting favorites such as ESPN, FX, Disney Channel, Freeform and National Geographic, as well as ABC locals in seven markets. The media conglomerate declined DISH's offer for a contract extension, walked away from the negotiation table and refused to keep its programming accessible for millions of DISH and SLING customers across the United States. The removal of these channels will also have an oversized impact on rural consumers who rely on satellite television as a primary means of entertainment.

“Disney has exploited its market position to increase fees without regard for the public viewing experience,” said Brian Neylon, executive vice president and group president, DISH TV. “Clearly, Disney insists on prioritizing greed above American viewers, especially sports fans and families with children who watch their content.”

As one of the nation’s largest media conglomerates, Disney is more interested in becoming a monopolistic power than providing its programming to viewers under fair terms. Disney plans to spend billions on its direct-to-consumer streaming services such as Disney+ and ESPN+ — platforms not included for DISH and SLING customers.

“We will continue to negotiate to provide the best value for our customers. We want to provide customers with fair rates, reliable service and the freedom of choice to pay for the channels they watch most,” added Gary Schanman, executive vice president and group president, SLING TV. “Disney is an important long-term partner for us, and we hope they will be reasonable in their demands so we can reach a fair agreement and bring our customers' channels back as quickly as possible.”
I bolded the part in the press release that talks about locals. They just didn't specify the markets.

Do you get any 4K channels with the free trial?
I believe you can add them otherwise but I don't think they come with the base package.
I did the free trial thing a year or so ago when they waited till last min to get ACC network added and even now I can tell its a clearer picture than what Dish gives me but I'm not looking to switch unless I absolutely have to.

Maybe ABC didn't think Dish was negotiating in good faith. The contract runs out and Dish can't carry the channels. That's what Dish agreed to three years ago (however long ago it was).
My personal opinion is this is why the traditional satellite/cable model is slowly dying. The likes of a YouTube TV and such do go through the same carriage issues, but it's much simpler to drop on of those for another service than calling Direct or Comcast to come out and swap equipment. The networks know that they have the advantage. I'm just glad that my kids are beyond the "we need Disney Channel" phase.

I personally like keeping satellite because every winter we get hit some kind of down line that knocks out power and internet; and when that happens, we put the boiler, refrigerator, and TV on the generator. While cable is out for days to roughly a week (at max), we still get TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts