Disney sues Dish again

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Looks that way. To me though, it's all just a bunch of BS. Disney never complained when other providers offered Starz for free. If Disney somehow wins this, then it leads the other studios to sue the providers for the same reason. Then no tv provider would be able to offer a premium for free for a time period ever again.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

Looks that way. To me though, it's all just a bunch of BS. Disney never complained when other providers offered Starz for free. If Disney somehow wins this, then it leads the other studios to sue the providers for the same reason. Then no tv provider would be able to offer a premium for free for a time period ever again.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

There's a difference between free for a weekend or free for 3 months, or even free for a year if you're a new customer. Giving it away to all your customers for a year free is different. Not that I'm saying I don't like what DISH is doing, I can see where some in the industry might not like it.

Dishtrap.jpg

So Far Dish Seems to be Winning

Reviving thread for an important update from Law360:

Law360, New York (June 2, 2011) -- In a contract and copyright battle in New York federal court, a judge on Thursday denied Walt Disney Co.’s request to temporarily block Dish Network LLC from broadcasting copyrighted Disney movies on the Starz channel without charging customers extra.

In a one-line order, U.S. District Judge George B. Daniels of the Southern District of New York denied Disney’s motion for a preliminary injunction in its May complaint against Dish claiming the satellite TV provider violated an agreement as well as copyrights on popular movies by giving subscribers free access to Starz, which is a premium television service.

Disney, joined in the suit by Buena Vista Pay Television Inc., claims its January 2010 agreement with Starz giving it limited rights to show certain Disney movies includes a provision that requires Starz to operate as a pay television service, like HBO or Showtime.

“Neither plaintiffs nor Starz consented to Dish’s scheme to provide its subscribers with Starz programming for free, which is in direct violation of plaintiffs’ exclusive rights under federal copyright law,” the complaint said.

A representative for Disney was not immediately available to comment on the judge's order.

Dish’s offer of free Starz access to its subscribers has already resulted in repeated and ongoing infringement of the plaintiffs' copyrights, the lawsuit claims, with subscribers improperly getting free access to movies such as “Alice in Wonderland” and “Toy Story 3.”

Dish’s free Starz offer prevents the plaintiffs from effectively controlling the way their copyrighted movies are shown by third parties and puts a wrench in the common practice called windowing, whereby content providers like Disney carefully sequence the licensing of rights to show their movies after a theatrical release, according to the complaint.

The windowing system sets up a series of valuable premieres and windows of exclusive distribution rights, first on premium TV channels and subsequently on basic cable television, the complaint contends.

Dish’s actions have effectively allowed certain movies to leapfrog the period of time Disney had contractually reserved exclusively for pay TV services, and threaten to undermine Disney’s other contractual relationships, the lawsuit claims.

Dish has defended its actions, claiming it pays hundreds of millions of dollars for the right to distribute Starz content, which includes the rights to a number of Disney movies.

“Our current distribution of Disney content on Starz is permitted under our contract with Starz. Dish Network does not have visibility to the contract between Starz and Disney, but we will vigorously defend our rights against any attempt to drag our customers into the middle of their dispute,” the company said in a statement when the lawsuit was filed.

The plaintiffs are seeking a ruling from the court stopping Dish from offering Starz programming for free, as well as damages, pre- and post-judgment interest, and attorneys' fees and costs.

Disney and Buena Vista are represented by David L. Yohai, Theodore E. Tsekerides and David R. Singh of Weil Gotshal & Manges LLP.

Dish is represented by J. Peter Coll, Jr., Kent Goss and Valerie M. Goo of Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP.

The case is Disney Enterprises Inc. and Buena Vista Pay Television Inc. v. Dish Network LLC, case number 1:11-cv-02973, in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.

--Editing by Eydie Cubarrubia.
Court Won't Block Dish's Free Starz Offer In Disney Row - Law360

Glad to see it starting out fairly good for Dish and us. I'm a little concerned that the judge didn't just throw out the case as the contract dispute is between Starz and Dish, Disney has no standing to sue Dish over it. Actually, as I think about it, Starz made the contract with Dish which allowed all this to happen, therefore Starz should be the target of Disney since Starz was the one that allowed to contract to be made that is causing the greedy bast**ds at Disney to get all puckery...

Buena Vista joining the suit boy is that a big surprise since they are owned by Disney hook, line, & sinker. Hope the judge does the same thing with that was done with the other. Tell Disney to stick it where the sun don't shine. I sure would like to see Disney start loosing allot it's time those greedy A's got their A's kick repeatedly.

lparsons21 said:
Glad to see it starting out fairly good for Dish and us. I'm a little concerned that the judge didn't just throw out the case as the contract dispute is between Starz and Dish, Disney has no standing to sue Dish over it. Actually, as I think about it, Starz made the contract with Dish which allowed all this to happen, therefore Starz should be the target of Disney since Starz was the one that allowed to contract to be made that is causing the greedy bast**ds at Disney to get all puckery...

I wouldn't let the lack of dismissal bother you. Only the injunction was on the table. That it was denied is a good sign for Dish. Injunctions are typically only granted if there is ongoing detrimental harm and if the the party seeking the injunction is likely to win at trial. (It's a bit more complicated than that, but think of it as a sliding scale between those two factors.) That being said, we'll all have to see how this one plays out. If Disney's contract with Starz is being breached, then they should be suing Starz, not Dish.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Just got a flyer in the mail from comcast. They are offering starz free for signing up for a tripple play package. When is Disney going to sue comcast?

Just got a flyer in the mail from comcast. They are offering starz free for signing up for a tripple play package. When is Disney going to sue comcast?
Exactly. If Disney is going to sue Dish over a free Starz for one year promotion, why not sue the other providers who are doing the same/similar thing? It just shows you that this is another BS lawsuit because Disney just happens to have a beef against Dish and Dish only.

One would think that Dish is doing Starz (and Disney) a favor. They are paying the sub rate for all the subscribers to Starz, and Starz is getting people used to watching their channels (and Disney movies) uncut without commercials. Then once the free year is over, it is likely there will end up being more people that want to keep Starz after seeing/liking the free period.

One would think that Dish is doing Starz (and Disney) a favor. They are paying the sub rate for all the subscribers to Starz, and Starz is getting people used to watching their channels (and Disney movies) uncut without commercials. Then once the free year is over, it is likely there will end up being more people that want to keep Starz after seeing/liking the free period.

Disney just doesn't like anything that E* is doing no matter what. They just see WHERE'S THE MONEY anymore.

Judge denies Disney's request for injunction in fight against Dish Network

54053004-01100136.jpg
Company Town

The business behind the show
« Previous | Company Town Home
Judge denies Disney's request for injunction in fight against Dish Network

(0)

(0)

(17)

June 3, 2011 | 3:31 pm

Fear not, Dish subscribers, you'll still get to watch "Toy Story 3" for free this weekend.
A federal judge denied Walt Disney Co.'s request for an injunction to stop satellite broadcaster Dish Network from offering its more than 14 million subscribers the pay TV channel Starz for free. Typically, Starz costs Dish subscribers about $13 per month, according to the distributor's website. Customers that were already paying for Starz received other channels for free.
Dish started giving away Liberty Media's Starz earlier this year. The company said it was doing so as part of its 30th anniversary celebration. Starz was none too happy about this, nor was Disney, which sells its movies to Starz.
Last month, both Starz and Disney filed suits against Dish over the giveaway. Starz claimed Dish was violating the terms of its contract, and Disney argued that giving the channel away for free was hurting the value of its movies. Disney had asked for an injunction requesting Dish to stop giving the channel away while their suits play out in court.
In its suit filed in a Colorado District Court, Starz said its deal with Dish "does not permit Dish to simply give away its channels and content to its entire subscriber base." Starz said Dish was giving away the channel to placate customers who might be upset with other rate increases the satellite broadcaster has imposed. No trial date has been set with the Starz suit.
Disney filed its suit in U.S. District Court in New York City and charged that not only is the value of its movies being damaged, but that Dish's actions are hurting the studio's relationships with other networks and outlets that buy its content. Trial could start as early as December.
Dish, which declined to comment on the judge's dismissal of the Disney injunction request, has said previously that it "pays hundreds of millions of dollars for the right to distribute STARZ content to our customers, which includes the rights to a number of Disney movies, and our current distribution of Disney content on STARZ is permitted under our contract with STARZ."
Some industry observers say Netflix is at the root of the feud between Starz and Dish. Starz offers its content, including Disney movies, to Netflix, which Dish sees as a competitor, and that is what led to the giveaway, these people said.
-- Joe Flint
Judge denies Disney's request for injunction in fight against Dish Network - latimes.com

.Reading Disney's statements makes me feel like using the cliche "WAAAAA" that you hear the jackasses that have nothing better to do than call those stupid voice mail services of the useless FM/AM sports talk radio stations (that opinion is for a different discussion). But it holds true for this situation. Now I get that people who are receiving a pay channel free of charge will wait for the movie to appear on TV instead of paing for the Blu-ray. However, I firmly believe that the people that are willing to pay $30 for a Disney movie isn't waiting to see it for free on Starz. My wife is one of those yah hoos who will buy Tangled for about the same price as her new car, and doesn't care about them airing on Starz. Just accept the fact that nobody is going to pay twice for the same channel just because one is in HD. Get over it you greedy butt heads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts