Disruption in signal

munscher

Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
I have been putting up with this for a few days with all of my attempts to fix it failing. The signal jumps or skips as quick as every 5 or6 seconds sometimes, other times only once every minute or two. I plan to call customer service tomorrow but also wanted to check with you guys. Any ideas?

The signal strength is 97 so i can only assume something with the box?

It sounds like it may be related to the bug introduced with the new firmware. Try tuning to an OTA channel with a strong signal and then back to satellite and see if that fixes it. This is supposed to be corrected with another update possibly as early as tonight. See this thread for more info:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=23730

I had the same problem. After tuning from an OTA channel I would have a hiccup every 5-6 seconds on every regular channel. I also noticed in the options menu that the OTA signal would jump from 0 to about 81 every time it momentarily lost reception; satellite signal would stay at a constant 97. I just updated the software to v.6.20 and so far it seems to be fixed. I'm hoping that it stays that way.

bnl107 said:
I had the same problem. After tuning from an OTA channel I would have a hiccup every 5-6 seconds on every regular channel. I also noticed in the options menu that the OTA signal would jump from 0 to about 81 every time it momentarily lost reception; satellite signal would stay at a constant 97. I just updated the software to v.6.20 and so far it seems to be fixed. I'm hoping that it stays that way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having difficulties!

I had a new install yesterday (8/11) and was able to get several locals under v.6.00. Overnight the box upgraded to v.6.20, but now I get the flickering between 0 and 81 on a few OTA channels, including one that was coming in very clearly yesterday.

Earlier in the day I was attributing this to the very bad rain/cloud that we had earlier (major rain-fade on satellite channels this morning), but now the weather is clear the access to OTAs is still inconsistent with a "0" signal bouncing up to 80-84 occasionally. My satellite channels are all fine.

I've tried a soft boot and a full power-down to no effect.

Any further ideas? I want my NBC back!

CDH.

CDH said:
I've tried a soft boot and a full power-down to no effect.

Any further ideas? I want my NBC back!

Okay I'm a stupid dumbass. I checked the attic and found the amplifier for the antenna was unplugged. Now receiving 15 subchannels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, tons of PBS, TBN, UPN, and WB).

Charter will be gone soon.

CDH.

CDH said:
Okay I'm a stupid dumbass. I checked the attic and found the amplifier for the antenna was unplugged.
CDH,

You've distinguished yourself as a non-typical VOOM forum member and I applaud you. Most people would have slammed VOOM mercilessly, insisted that everyone else has the same problem but aren't sophisticated enough or observant enough to notice it and then copied and recopied their flaming comments to every thread tangentially mentioning a similar issue. Keep VOOMing and keep posting.

CDH said:
Okay I'm a stupid dumbass. I checked the attic and found the amplifier for the antenna was unplugged.
Haha... Welcome to the club. I did that a few weeks ago after I unplugged everything in the house due to a really bad lightning storm.

Quality of Voom supplied component video cables?

Random white dots on cinema10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts