Distance from 53" Panasonic HDTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

elite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 21, 2004
I recently got the newest Panny 53. Its a sweet set with built in tuner (which I wont use after voom comes tomorrow) and it also sports HDMI. Anyway...im very satisfied with it, but I feel at times when the camera moved quickly its sorta blurred.....am I too close?

My room is 11 deep, so that sits me about 8-9 feet away from the front panel to the middle of my couch (appx 95-100 inches and hte TV is 53 so close to twice the diagonal distance)

Could I still be to close? The picture is fantastic dont get me wrong....is the 16:9 something I need to get used to along with the crispness of HD?

I have a small room setup as my theater room....so Im not moving it around, its really a matter of getting a smaller TV but I fot such a good deal I dont want to let the 53 go cause even the 57 of the 46 sony will cost me more.....

I previously had a sony 43 4:3 in the same room never noticed that.

Opinions?

elite said:
I recently got the newest Panny 53. Its a sweet set with built in tuner (which I wont use after voom comes tomorrow) and it also sports HDMI. Anyway...im very satisfied with it, but I feel at times when the camera moved quickly its sorta blurred.....am I too close?

My room is 11 deep, so that sits me about 8-9 feet away from the front panel to the middle of my couch (appx 95-100 inches and hte TV is 53 so close to twice the diagonal distance)

Could I still be to close? The picture is fantastic dont get me wrong....is the 16:9 something I need to get used to along with the crispness of HD?

I have a small room setup as my theater room....so Im not moving it around, its really a matter of getting a smaller TV but I fot such a good deal I dont want to let the 53 go cause even the 57 of the 46 sony will cost me more.....

I previously had a sony 43 4:3 in the same room never noticed that.

Opinions?

Try this :
http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

You're actually too far back for that size of screen. Rule of thumb is 3 times screen height for HD and 5 times for SD. If you watch primarily HD, you are too far back. As an example using the above calculator, I have a 110" diagonal screen and sit back 13'. The calculator tells me that the optimum viewing distance is 12.3', so I am right there. Another rule of thumb for digital displays to eliminate the "screen door effect" is to sit back 1.5 times the screen width, so for my screen, that is 12'.

Your screen will shrink with time. I'll bet that in 2 weeks, you will start thinking you only bought a 47" TV. I convinced a buddy of mine to go with a 65" and he thought it was huge, but now that he's lived with it for a year, he agrees that it has shrunk over time.

From "The Sony Guide to Home Theater", covering screen size selection based on viewing distance. For 16:9 AR when viewing an HD broadcast, from diagonal screen sizes, 51" - 8'-6" distance and 57" - 9'-6" distance. For viewing SD broadcast, add a couple of feet to both of the above or the PQ will look more fuzzy (pixelized).

Therefore, you have perfect conditions for watching an HD broadcast on your 53" Pany, but you may be a little close to get the most enjoyable PQ w/ SD broadcasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)