Distance

Status
Please reply by conversation.
When I find the satellite on the meter and peek the signal the receiver shows signal that is to week for reception. I have set up a dish or to for friends My dish is 1metor channel master with invacom qph-031 about 110ft from receiver. Have motor do I need to unhook it to peek signal First.

No, you shouldn't have to unhook the motor. You might take out any switch that you have attached to the lnb, and go direct from lnb to motor then on to receiver for peaking the dish.
You should be trying to peak on your TRUE SOUTH bird first. If your true south is near a circular bird , then you could use that bird ( and the circular side of the Invacom) to "rough in" your aim, since the circular bird will be much more powerful than a linear one.
After initial rough in on the circular satellite, you can switch back to peaking on your linear True South bird, and be very close. Then with some azimuth adjustments, and dish elevation adjustments, you should be able to nail it.

Good luck, and keep us apprised of your progress .

:)

Brent

longest run I ever did with RG6 was 800ft, its the one and only time I ever had to use an inline amp. I also had to use a bandstacked linear lnb as the voltage drop was causing issues with polarity switching.

800 ft is an amazing number, Updatelee ! :)
I wish I had enough land to run an 800 ft cable . I've run a number of big RG-11 runs
for "the Company" bringing our dishes to a central hub area, but no big rg-6 runs.

:)

Brent

I wish we could have used RG11, the problem is the company I work for got sticker shock when I quoted them RG11 and connectors etc. told me they would rather pay me to install RG6 and see how it works, if the client had issues then they would look at reruning the cables as RG11. they never had any problems in last 3 years so its stayed that way.

RG-11 requires a special compression tool, so that's an added expense, unless you're going to make use of it on multiple installs. The compression fittings are also about a dollar apiece :eek:

It depends a lot on what you are putting at the far end of the cable.
One little new-technology, low-power LNB might work quite far out.
A motor, couple of switches, and several LNBs might not make 200 feet.

The bandstacked LNB are designed particularly to deal with the large voltage drop of long cables, and still work.
They don't use the 12/18 volt difference to select V/H polarity, so as long as enough voltage is delivered to the end of the line, the LNB performs.

Didn't we just have a thread yesterday where the solution to failed motor was excessive switches and in-line amplifiers?
It's a shame we don't routinely test our wiring and measure voltage at the LNB under operating conditions.
That way if we find 10 volts and 15 instead of 12 & 18, we'll know in advance how much operating margin we have.

Perhaps it would then become common knowledge that LNB-X is a power hog, but LNB-Y is a real low-power wonder and much better for long cable runs.
Now, we regularly comment on which ones are physically heavy and which are light.
Same goes for the common diseqc , 22khz, and multi-switches we use.
Publish and pay attention to power consumption.

Regardless of voltage drop in long cable runs, there is another problem lurking in the corner.
Most PCI cards just won't supply the kind of current to the LNB cable that set-top-boxes will.
So, doing a simple power analysis for them is even more critical.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Trying to hit Anik F1 (107.3)

How Much Of The Arc Can I see

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)