Distant Locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What is your service zip code? You would have to type in the zip code into the qualification tool to see. Click Here.

Under federal law, we can provide local channels only within a local television market. For example, we can provide San Francisco stations only in San Francisco and the surrounding areas. Federal law requires us to respect the local TV markets boundaries, which are established by Nielsen Media Research. Distant broadcast network feeds from New York and Los Angeles are available only to customers who cannot receive an over-the-air signal from a local TV station and to customers who get waivers from their local TV stations.

Qualifying for East or West Network Feeds
Did you know that some DIRECTV customers may be eligible to receive non-local feeds of major broadcast networks? Eligibility is governed by federal law*, and is determined by several factors including:

* You don't live near a metropolitan area
* You can't get any TV reception whatsoever
* You live more than 70 miles from TV station broadcast towers

To find out if you're eligible to receive Los Angeles or New York TV stations for ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC, click here.

Last edited:
They say that the signal strength of my local broadcast stations are "Grade A" when they are anything but that. The only thing I qualify for is PBS, but that is the station that comes in the best via antenna! I think I'll have to stick with Dish for now... Thank you for your response.

Last edited:
As long as you know "They" is not Dish or DirecTV. "They" is the FCC and/or your affiliate via a predicted model. If you disagree call and get the signal test.

Dish and DirecTV do not make the rules, they can only provide what they can by law; thus Dish's current legal troubles over this issue and possible shutdown of said services to many people.

What is you zip? It could be you have the wrong antenna for your needs or aimed at the wrong heading.

"Distant Locals"......isn't that a classic oxymoron, something like Jumbo Shrimp, or Military Intelligence..........

Yes I realize that it is the FCC.

My zip code is 95519. Part of it is that it is easier for my great grandma to just have the network channels with the satellite. However with Directv things might work differently.

Yes it should read Distant Networks. :D

Sure it says grade A and only 16 miles from the tower. Well I'm 18 miles from my tower have a large UHF and can't recieve my Grade A Digital ABC, CBS, or FOX. That is why the thing pisses me off. The eligibility is based upon lies from the station. Those three stations have an average power level of about 2.3 kW. You can't pick that up very well. Still no wavers. I know people that are listed as Grade A, who live 40 miles from this 2 kW signal. What kind of crap is that.

I know that happens to some, but just to point out what most people don't know is that the cost and the size of the antenna are not what really matters. And it could be something very simple to resolve if you are that close and can't get any signal.

I do however agree with you that the predictive contour grades are somewhat crap, but mostly over that 35 - 50 miles and higher range.

And as always, if you or any user is 110% sure that your contour signal grade is wrong, REQUEST the on-site signal test. Once you are proven correct you will get your waivers, but you best be right, if you are wrong you PAY for the test and still no waivers.

Last edited:
Same as in post #2. Use the qualification tool, if you see eligible, then you can get it. If not, then you can't; waivers will be denied. You can then request an on-site signal test; but you best be 110% sure you can't get the signal, if you are proved wrong you will pay for that test, but if you are correct the test is free and you can get your waivers. Waivers are applied for throught your DBS provider.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)