Distant Network Information

2. Was "signal testing to appeal prediction model determination" not removed from SHVERA?
3. Where exactly is this "comprehensive set of rules and procedures for digital signal qualification" hiding?

Perhaps you can give the FCC rules for ATSC signal contour grades so we can see how that corresponds to the contours for analog that is used in testing now.

I was happy to learn that another provider was going to be able to get me the networks, even east and west coast. we live in remote rural Maine, and have no other options.

But, today, when i actualy got to see those new channels i was disgusted with at least half of them!! I don't mind sifting through local-yocal programming and news from a different town, but the picture and sound was horrible!!

Why does this junk come through a digital sat. system?! I am now paying $10 a month ($4 more than what i had to pay with Dish, and now I get absolute junk and cr*p channel quality. It is a real sham for this American Direct company to come to the "rescue" of those of us Dish folks who got shfted by the courts, and offer this alternative that is awful.

PLEASE PLEASE, somebody tell me WHY these channels are junk quality; if it will EVER change; how i may go about getting better network qaulity elsewhere?

Don E.
Fort Kent, Maine

:mad:

I can't predict the future, but here is my take on this:
Putting up the SF and Atlanta channels by NPS was a quickie decision. Although there is not supposed to be any connection between them and Dish, there obviously is. The poor quality you see is hopefully only temporary. I remember when the SF locals came up on my son's Bay Area DirecTV service. It was a hodge-podge of direct connections and off-air pickups. The off-airs were horrible. But after a few months, they improved one-by-one, as cable or fiber connections came up.
Apparently, you can get the NPS offerings if you're an active Dish subscriber with current equipment. Once you're approved for service, NPS will open up those 5700-series channels on your receivers. But the signals on the satellite in the 5731-5738 range are likely not actually coming via Dish. Satellite transponders merely relay the signals they get. Most satellites carry service from several different providers. There may also be more than one satellite at a particular orbital position. For example, both Dish Network and DirecTV operate satellites at the 119-degree orbital location. If you're a Dish subscriber, you pick up most of the transponders numbered 1-21. DirecTV operates Transponders 22-32. Dish recently cleared out Transponder 15 of their channels and moved them elsewhere. This is according to the website that tracks what channels are on what transponder. NPS uses Transponder 15 to carry its service, and probably uplinks the Atlanta and SF channels from a facility separate from Dish.
This likely explains the current poor quality (off-air pickups), but I'm sure things will improve. Hang in there.

I have a question.
How does AllAmericanDirect work? They want a credit card but I have no idea how they give me my local channels.
We have dish. I went to the site and after entering the info it says
If the table column below indicates "Eligible", then the Distant Network is available once your order is processed. If the column says "Waiver Needed" then that network will become available once the waiver is processed. We will only bill for the Eligible Networks at this time. Sign up so that you can receive your Distant Networks from AllAmericanDirect.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinvt
2. Was "signal testing to appeal prediction model determination" not removed from SHVERA?
3. Where exactly is this "comprehensive set of rules and procedures for digital signal qualification" hiding?

Perhaps you can give the FCC rules for ATSC signal contour grades so we can see how that corresponds to the contours for analog that is used in testing now.
And your point would be?
That a digital signal coming from the same transmitting facility as the analog signal should be received equally at the same antenna? Well, it's not true. For technical reasons, digital signals are often not received the same as their analog counterparts.

Even congress suspected that may be the case, which is why it charged the FCC with conducting an "inquiry" to see what alternate prediction methods might be needed for digital signal reception. They were given a year to do it. Within days of that deadline the FCC sent a letter to congress (12/9/05) stating that the existing ILLR prediction model that was still used for analog was also more than adequate for digital. However the FCC went on to say:
"Certain modifications to those procedures are needed, however, to address differences in analog and digital television signals. The proper procedures for measuring digital television signals would be
developed through the recommended rule making proceeding."

Then the FCC went on to request congress give them the authority to adopt a "new and improved" ILLR. BTW, has the ILLR actually been improved? Does anyone know what's new and better about it pertaining to digital? Is it now in place and being used for digital signal qualification?​

So what else are you looking for me to say here? That the FCC doesn't create satellite reception law, it just enforces it? That's a given and goes without saying, however part of the duties of any federal "regulatory" commission is to "regulate" and that includes making sure people and business understand the law and are appropriately served by it.

Senate Bill 4067 doesn't address HD issue

Unless the rules are completely changed around, Senate 4067 shouldn't do anything more than allow for those who legally qualify for DNS, to receive DNS, and it would be nice to also allow RV waivers and Significantly Viewed channels.

Too bad the law only mandated a single penalty of "No DNS", instead of maybe immediately remove non-eligible subscribers and:
(1) pay a large fine,
(2) court monitored 3rd party validation of all DNS subscribers,
(3) lost of DBS licenses

Item (3) would probably have been enough motivation to correct the situation several years ago.

Can't wait to see what Transmitter News has to say about DirecTV on the next part.:D

If one had HD (CBS-W) out of LA, no CBS high def from local affiliate, they are totally screwed now. This new bill won't get them that access back if they have a foot-dragging local affiliate that doesn't offer high def.

http://www.house.gov/goodlatte/

GOODLATTE AND BOUCHER INTRODUCE BILL TO PROVIDE SATELLITE TV CUSTOMERS WITH MORE OPTIONS

Congressmen Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) and Rick Boucher (D-VA) introduced a bi-partisan consumer-focused bill, H.R. 6384, that clears the way for Echostar and TV broadcasters to negotiate a deal to provide out-of-market broadcast network stations to EchoStar’s DISH Network customers.

“The Satellite Home Viewer Act (SHVA) allows residents to receive network signals via satellite that they cannot receive over-the-air from their local broadcast television stations. This Act provides thousands of Virginians and millions of Americans with access to network broadcasts, such as ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC, who would otherwise be unable to receive those channels,” said Rep. Goodlatte.Click to learn more

That's all fine and good for someone in Congress to act on it, but WHY THE HELL DO THEY WAIT???!!! That's so damn stupid to wait instead of taking care of something before it comes an issue.

I spoke with NPS person about waivers, here is advice.

1. Apply for waivers here > waiverrequest@mydistantnetworks.com

2. Call local channels you can not receive preferbly outside 100 mile, or B grade, see if they will issue a waiver, addressed to Satellite Provider.

3. Once you receive the waiver. fax it with your phone number to.

Fax :317-558-3838
Attn: Delanie Smily
phone number

Hope this helps , good luck
oops also NPS for those like me that are new to all this is National Programming Service, http://www.callnps.com/default.htm
They have a link on site with all info also bottom left of page.

calling NPS

Every time I call NPS they take my name and phone number and say someone will call me back, but no one does. Is this typical of them?

Every time I call NPS they take my name and phone number and say someone will call me back, but no one does. Is this typical of them?

For the time being yes. They did (at least when I called yesterday) take My name address and phone number and told me the sys they use to qualify subs was down.And some one would call me back.

Soemthing tells me that if decsionmark had not of pulled out they would be ready to qualify address if the capability to qualify address live in reqal time was not taken away.

Thas what just happened to me too. But the guy asked me to call them in a week, because he said there are over a million people calling them and signing up so it will take time for them to put everybody on their system. I'm already in an area with locals so I would have to get waivers, etc (or do they get the waivers themselves?)

I also asked if these were HD channles and he said yes, they were! Of course I didn't believe him. NOt that I thought he was lying but that he is misinformed. He probably confuses digital channels with HD channel. I asked him twice if he was sure and he kept saying that yes, shows that are transmitted in HD (e.g., CSI, Heroes, etc) would be seen in HD if I have an HD receiver (622) and an HDTV. I still dont' think he knows what he is talking about but it would sure be nice if it were, to be able to get East/West HD feeds (just like having ExpressVu but only paying 9 bucks!!)

If you are in a true white area then you should not need waivers even if you have LiL from E*. NPS as an independent company from E* does not sell anyone anywhere LiL so they are not prohibited by SHVERA from selling DNS to any one in a true white area. If they decide not to sell me DNS I will try to buy DNS from them as a non E* customer just as soon as they start. I checked my zip at the atnorg site and I am in a ture white area. 31501

If one had HD (CBS-W) out of LA, no CBS high def from local affiliate, they are totally screwed now. This new bill won't get them that access back if they have a foot-dragging local affiliate that doesn't offer high def.
Although it doesn't bother me either way.... It sounds like Charlie made a pitch for everyone to go to Congress to get their DNS, but no one remembered to ask for HD!:eek:

Or maybe it's true what some have been saying.... It's not cost effective for Charlie to provide CBS-HD.:confused:

So some will be :mad:, while others are :cool: , but we are all :confused: .

Rural Realities

Something Dish, and most Sat. Guys don't seem to understand about qualification and "white areas". I live in NW Montana. Zip codes are large here. The website asks for my zipcode and phone number and based on this, it states I don't qualify. Yet I live in mountains. I cannot get squat OTA due to these mountains. My "locals" come from Missoula over 150 miles away and only come through Dish. It was Dish's decision to make a distant town's stations my "locals" not mine. A different feed is provided [by cable and limited OTA] to my neighbors in the Flathead Valley on the other side of a set of mountains. Dish does not provide this even though this would be my true locals.

My old waivers were based on my address, not zip code. Why are decisions not being made on your exact location and not a general zipcode?

Heck! I cannot even discuss this with anyone. Emails are not answered. Direct is looking better and better.

Last edited:
Something Dish, and most Sat. Guys don't seem to understand about qualification and "white areas". I live in NW Montana. Zip codes are large here. The website asks for my zipcode and phone number and based on this, it states I don't qualify. Yet I live in mountains. I cannot get squat OTA due to these mountains. My "locals" come from Missoula over 150 miles away and only come through Dish. It was Dish's decision to make a distant town's stations my "locals" not mine. A different feed is provided [by cable and limited OTA] to my neighbors in the Flathead Valley on the other side of a set of mountains. Dish does not provide this even though this would be my true locals.

My old waivers were based on my address, not zip code. Why are decisions not being made on your exact location and not a general zipcode?

Heck! I cannot even discuss this with anyone. Emails are not answered. Direct is looking better and better.

The database software used by E* is not accurate enough to decern in which TV market you are actually located.

To see if DirecTV can give you what you want go here;
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/localChannels.jsp?assetId=900018

If you are in a true white area then you should not need waivers even if you have LiL from E*. I checked my zip at the atnorg site and I am in a ture white area. 31501

Can you give us a link or address of the website to check for white area by zip code?
THANKS

Something Dish, and most Sat. Guys don't seem to understand about qualification and "white areas". I live in NW Montana. Zip codes are large here.

Greater than nine digits like 4959354949-9444?

The website asks for my zipcode and phone number and based on this, it states I don't qualify.

Do you have reason to believe you do?

Yet I live in mountains. I cannot get squat OTA due to these mountains.

Are you being held hostage (or perhaps holding one)? - sorry just a little "Mountain Man" humor.

My "locals" come from Missoula over 150 miles away and only come through Dish.

But they are available.

It was Dish's decision to make a distant town's stations my "locals" not mine.

Actually it was Congress' when they decided to use the DMA model.

A different feed is provided [by cable and limited OTA] to my neighbors in the Flathead Valley on the other side of a set of mountains.

Neighbors? Ok. It sounds as if they are in a different DMA and/or county. Is that the case?

Dish does not provide this even though this would be my true locals.

Why do you believe that this other set of stations would be your "true locals"?

My old waivers were based on my address, not zip code.

Shouldn't matter. No matter what your address you are assigned only one zip code even if you build a house across a boundary. And it doesn't sound like you would be eligible for DNS even with DirecTV

Why are decisions not being made on your exact location and not a general zipcode?

Probably because it is too complicated but since you can get your locals (even if not your "true love locals" - you don't get DNS - from anyone (without a waiver).

You have lots of friends here. Now lie down on the couch and tell us about your childhood..... (I'm just kidding)

a long message...

If you previously had DNS because you were in a white area - that is not a "waiver." Could you provide more detail about which DMA (and your neighbors over the mountain) are in? Did you have DNS prevously because of being outside of Grade B or did the locals actually give you waivers? Do you fall into any of the grandfather categories?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts