distant network

jarvi9499

Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
I live in alpine, texas and am thinking about switching from directv to dish. What are the chances of getting local channels out of el paso, texas or dallas. I'm tired of having to watch LA or NY news. Would like something closer. I've read about the waiver. Do I have a ggod chance?

thanks for the link, but as i suspected i am still in the same boat. I heard somebody in my area say that they called DISH and said that they were moving to Dallas, gave them a new address but told them to keep the bill to address the same and were able to get the dallas locals.I have not personally gone to verify, but has anybody heard of this working?

The only issue right now with El Paso is you need a Superdish for those locals (and they have to install it at the "physical" location)

Keep in mind that the law allowing distant networks was changed last year. It used to be that you only had to live outside the grade B singal area of a network affiliate to get that network without the need for a waiver. The SHVREA changed that so that you have to live outside the grade B area of the network affiliate AND your satellite provider doesn't offer your local market. You can still get distants with a waiver if you live in a served area, but it's no longer automatic.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
Keep in mind that the law allowing distant networks was changed last year. It used to be that you only had to live outside the grade B singal area of a network affiliate to get that network without the need for a waiver. The SHVREA changed that so that you have to live outside the grade B area of the network affiliate AND your satellite provider doesn't offer your local market. You can still get distants with a waiver if you live in a served area, but it's no longer automatic.

See ya
Tony

It's probably worth adding that distant digital signals are NOT under that same rule and if fact whether your satellite company offers analog LiLs or not in your area has no bearing on whether you qualify for distant digital signals other than I think you HAVE to sub to analog LiLs if available to get the HD DNS. Of course once they offer HD LiLs in a DMA, HD DNS must go away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)