Distant Networks - Old laws gone and Now that Analog has shut down.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i live in the same area as hemi, actually in wilkesbarre... so i feel your pain bro...

At least the two of you don't live in the western part of the DMA. D* is the only satellite option if we want HD - seems that E*'s applicable spotbeam doesn't cover the western part of the DMA (certainly not Clinton County, and apparently not a large part of Lycoming).

Does this mean that come football season, I can ask D* for the Columbus HD channels and expect to get them ?
It doesn't mean anything until DIRECTV decides what they are going to do. It is possible that they were caught by surprise with respect to this new development.

Thanks Hemi,
This gives me the normal locals at my current location, so it doesn't help in my situation ....
People are saying that the Digital transition has changed the rules, I'm sure this link is NOT updated as of yesterday, but also don't expect D* to advertise it.
You might want to wait a few more days, as you stated there is a good chance it has not been updated yet.

At least the two of you don't live in the western part of the DMA. D* is the only satellite option if we want HD - seems that E*'s applicable spotbeam doesn't cover the western part of the DMA (certainly not Clinton County, and apparently not a large part of Lycoming).
Do you atleast Quailify for ADD HD networks?
I bet by 2010 when that new satellite goes up to the 61.5 your troubles will be over.

i live in the same area as hemi, actually in wilkesbarre... so i feel your pain bro...
We live in a Sucky locals area. Here in Newfoundland I can't even get 1 OTA channel either. So I don't mind Paying AAD on top of E* service. It gives me many options,even a few more then cable has now.
Now I get with E* after switching my pack around a little
Locals with E* in SD

Locals with E* in SD
  1. WNEP 16 (ABC)
  2. WYOU 22 (CBS)
  3. WBRE 28 (NBC)
  4. WSWB 38 (CW)
  5. WVIA 44 (PBS)
  6. WQMY 53 (MY)
  7. WOLF 56 (FOX)
  8. WQPX 64 (ION)
  9. KTLA LA (CW)
  10. WPIX NY (CW)
  11. KWGN DENVER (CW)
  12. WSBK BOSTON (MY)
  13. WWOR NY (MY)
  14. WCBS NY (CBS)
  15. KPIX SF (CBS)
  16. WABC NY (ABC)
  17. KGO SF (ABC)
  18. WNYW NY (FOX)
  19. KTVU SF(FOX)
HD with E* Locals
  1. WNEP ABC HD (scranton pa)
  2. WYOU CBS HD (scranton pa)
  3. WBRE NBC HD (scranton pa)
  4. WOLF FOX HD (scranton pa)
  5. WBBM CBS HD (chicago IL)
  6. WFLD FOX HD ( chicago IL)
Now I can't wait untill the Superstations go HD.
I bet thats what Charlie will do instead of giving all the local markets CW in HD.:rolleyes:

This is not 100% accurate. They only show one subchannel per network. Some of the networks have 4 digital subchannels.
I doubt they care about putting all the sub channels on their list , Since OTA really has nothing to do with them. They want their local line up to look good,so you'll want their locals.

I doubt they care about putting all the sub channels on their list , Since OTA really has nothing to do with them. They want their local line up to look good,so you'll want their locals.
It is supposed to be a list of what is available in your area in SD and HD by them, through DNS by them, and through OTA using their equipment. I would think that they would make the list as complete as possible. If I run a OTA scan on my HR20 to see which channels I can get, I would hope this list would tell me if the scan picked up everything.

I would think that they would make the list as complete as possible.
What do you suggest they do for the channels that don't provide advanced guide information? There's a few networks out there that only provide PSIP type data via the channel.

What do you suggest they do for the channels that don't provide advanced guide information? There's a few networks out there that only provide PSIP type data via the channel.
All of the sub channels that show up via the OTA scan on my HR20 has complete guide info, yet they are not listed in the link I was referring to.

It is supposed to be a list of what is available in your area in SD and HD by them, through DNS by them, and through OTA using their equipment. I would think that they would make the list as complete as possible. If I run a OTA scan on my HR20 to see which channels I can get, I would hope this list would tell me if the scan picked up everything.
Incase you forgot that the Last built-in OTA tuner was the HR20. Since then D* hasn't put a single OTA in their HR receivers. D* doesn't care about your OTA. They have no idea what every sub channel is in the 90 or so different markets. And they don't care.

Incase you forgot that the Last built-in OTA tuner was the HR20. Since then D* hasn't put a single OTA in their HR receivers. D* doesn't care about your OTA. They have no idea what every sub channel is in the 90 or so different markets. And they don't care.

If you want OTA on your HR2x DVR, just buy an am21 TUNER.

SOmeone should post this thread at AVS so we can get facts from an expert. I doubt digital DNS is unregulated as Bob suggests. AS of the digital transition the local affiliates lose their monopoly and are screwed? No one honestly believes that nonsense do they?

SOmeone should post this thread at AVS so we can get facts from an expert. I doubt digital DNS is unregulated as Bob suggests. AS of the digital transition the local affiliates lose their monopoly and are screwed? No one honestly believes that nonsense do they?

If it truly is now unregulated, you can bet that the NAB and their puppets in Congress are busy working on new legislation to fix that!

I haven't researched it, but if the analog rules no longer apply, I suspect the digital rules (SHVERA) will cover all cases (no more having both east and west). I don't think SHVERA applies to only HD, but to all digital signals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.