This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Distribution Amp. Question

dfecarter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Connecticut
Hi I have an OTA roof mounted antenna. On the mast I have installed a Radio Shack antenna amplifier with an indoor Radio Shack 2 output "distribution amplifier". My question is, as I am only using one of the two output coaxial connections. Is there a way to reconnect/rejoin the signal exiting the two output, so I don't waste or to recapture the lost signal strength (subsequent to the signal splitting)? If so, how and with what type of jacks, splitters,diplexer, etc.? I can picture a y shaped cable/union. And if I did this would I even accomplish anything? I believe I am using RS model 15-321amp. I have used a terminator cap on the unused output but I'm still getting signal loss there right? Thanks!

That is not a distribution amp it is a preamp with about 33Db of gain. It basically has an internal 2 way splitter so short of redesiging the circuitry it is what it is. If you want a single output amplifier you need to buy something like a Channel Master CM-7777.

Thanks. I agree it's not functioning as a distribution amp. but for some reason RS labeled it Distr. Amp. but I understand it's working in tandem with the pre amp on the mast.
So I guess you're saying once the signal is split up through the outputs, the signal strength and distribution is irreversible? Now after the pre amp. I have a 4 ' coaxial going to a 4 port CM distribution amp., after which point the signal is split up to go to different tv's. Anyone have any suggestions on a better configuration. are the 2 units too close to each other maybe? Or does it sound about right? My signal strength isn't great but not horrible. I think the real issue is with my antenna outdoors. Now the mast mounted pre amp. is about 2-3 yrs. old, what's the life span of those like? It looks ok.

Some of the reviews for the RS model 15-321 haven't been good so I'd put it in the trash and buy either a Winegard or Channel Master unit. Your configuration from what your posting should work for you and I think your problem is with the preamp unless there an issue with the cable and connectors.