DIY home security camera system channel?

JBenny

Original poster
Feb 17, 2022
Fort Collins
I'm looking for help on how to view a home security camera system (NVR) on a Hopper2 TV channel using an HDMI RF Modulator. The Hopper2 is setup with Over-The-Air HDTV channels. The NVR box has an HDMI output.

Way back when OTA TV channels were still analog, I modulated the output of my security DVR and combined it with the OTA antenna feed. That way, it was just a different channel to tune to, either via the Dish OTA tuner, or the TV's tuner.
After moving to the digital age, I have a network NVR now, and I use an app on a FireStick when I want to see the cameras on TV (rarely). Mostly I use the wall touch tablets used for my home automation, or my phone now.

What you want to do, can be done, but the cheapest HDMI to ATSC modulators that I have seen are close to $300 and don't have any builtin way to mix that into the same antenna input as the OTA channels. Of course, I haven't looked very hard for this as I have a solution that works better for me.

Way back when OTA TV channels were still analog, I modulated the output of my security DVR and combined it with the OTA antenna feed. That way, it was just a different channel to tune to, either via the Dish OTA tuner, or the TV's tuner.
After moving to the digital age, I have a network NVR now, and I use an app on a FireStick when I want to see the cameras on TV (rarely). Mostly I use the wall touch tablets used for my home automation, or my phone now.

What you want to do, can be done, but the cheapest HDMI to ATSC modulators that I have seen are close to $300 and don't have any builtin way to mix that into the same antenna input as the OTA channels. Of course, I haven't looked very hard for this as I have a solution that works better for me.
The Firestick solution sounds like a great cost-improved TV option. HD/digital RF Modulators make the TV channel option 10x more expensive for a home solution. I'll try your solutions. THanks!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Reactions: TheKrell
I just connect my security dvr directly via an HDMI cable to the TV. Simple and like said before, you just have to switch inputs on your tv to see the cameras. Especially easy, if you do not watch them often on your tv. I mostly check mine on my desktop pc.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)