DIY Hopper 3 upgrade from Hopper with sling

pacman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
SF Bay Area, CA
Hi all. I've been a Dish Network customer over 20 years now and was surprised at the lack of "loyalty" options they give customers like me, but I stick with Dish because I haven't found anything better.

So I have a Hopper with Sling (and OTA adapter) and Super Joey. Recently started having some slowness and lockups with the Hopper and think it is time to upgrade (6 years with heavy usage isn't too bad) so I called Dish about upgrade option - $100 fee plus $95 tech visit and 2 year commitment, same that everyone gets. I have no problem installing myself (I installed the dishes (have 2) and ran all of the RG6 cable from second story roof to signal box to AV rack) so I am looking at Solid Signal to purchase everything I need and install myself. Current system has the two dishes (western arc coverage, 110, 119, 129), DPP44, and solo node. Researching here (and on Solid Signal's site) I believe I need to upgrade my switch to a DPH42 and add a hybrid duo hub. So the DPH42 connects to the dishes on the roof in place of the DPP44, two RG6 lines from that to the signal box where I would put the hybrid duo hub, and then one line to Hopper 3 and one to Super Joey. Did I miss anything? Another option would be to get a new dish (1000.3?) with built in hybrid LNB - cost is a bit higher, but it would get rid of one dish and some wiring on the roof - any other reason to go that route? Appreciate the help!

I think the Hybrid Duo Hub is only needed if you are going to have more than one Hopper. For a Hopper 3, a Hybrid Solo Hub is all you would need, not the Duo Hub. Super Joey is not compatible with Hopper 3, so you would need to replace the Super Joey with a regular Joey, and connect the Joey to the Client port on the Hub. The new dish with a Hybrid LNB would be a 1000.2 model. A 1000.4 dish would have a larger reflector (so presumably better signal strength) but then you would still need the DPH42 switch, since there are no Hybrid LNB's for the 1000.4 model.

Reactions: dweber and navychop
Hi all. I've been a Dish Network customer over 20 years now and was surprised at the lack of "loyalty" options they give customers like me, but I stick with Dish because I haven't found anything better.

So I have a Hopper with Sling (and OTA adapter) and Super Joey. Recently started having some slowness and lockups with the Hopper and think it is time to upgrade (6 years with heavy usage isn't too bad) so I called Dish about upgrade option - $100 fee plus $95 tech visit and 2 year commitment, same that everyone gets. I have no problem installing myself (I installed the dishes (have 2) and ran all of the RG6 cable from second story roof to signal box to AV rack) so I am looking at Solid Signal to purchase everything I need and install myself. Current system has the two dishes (western arc coverage, 110, 119, 129), DPP44, and solo node. Researching here (and on Solid Signal's site) I believe I need to upgrade my switch to a DPH42 and add a hybrid duo hub. So the DPH42 connects to the dishes on the roof in place of the DPP44, two RG6 lines from that to the signal box where I would put the hybrid duo hub, and then one line to Hopper 3 and one to Super Joey. Did I miss anything? Another option would be to get a new dish (1000.3?) with built in hybrid LNB - cost is a bit higher, but it would get rid of one dish and some wiring on the roof - any other reason to go that route? Appreciate the help!
Simplify it if you don't mind buying a few things. Gut/or bypass all the cabling coming out of the LNBF except one cable. You'll need a DPH Slimline LNBF with LNBF Bracket and a Solo Hub.

Here's the connections:

1600517927786.png

Reactions: charlesrshell
Simplify it if you don't mind buying a few things. Gut/or bypass all the cabling coming out of the LNBF except one cable. You'll need a DPH Slimline LNBF with LNBF Bracket and a Solo Hub.

Here's the connections:

View attachment 147714
I'm just curious: I know that the Slimline LNBF requires a new bracket, but would the combined cost of the Slimline LNBF and bracket be any cheaper than the cost of the older non-Slimline Hybrid LNBF by itself, which fits the same bracket as a DPP LNBF?

I'm just curious: I know that the Slimline LNBF requires a new bracket, but would the combined cost of the Slimline LNBF and bracket be any cheaper than the cost of the older non-Slimline Hybrid LNBF by itself, which fits the same bracket as a DPP LNBF?
You're probably right, but I haven't seen the old style on any sites in awhile. I haven't looked in a few months, though, either

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts