DN info built into Azbox firmware

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

B.J.

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Western Maine
I think I've noticed this file in there before, but never looked at it.
In the DISK2 directory on the Azbox, there is a file named ussat_ch_map.csv .
This looks to be a Dishnet channel list. The file is also in the protected backup directory.

I'm a bit curious why it's there, and why they think the file is important enough to protect in that backup directory. I'm assuming of course, that this was put there by the Azbox people themselves, and not by the Florida EBAY place where I bought the Azbox, ie I'd be interested in whether everyone has this file.
I'm ALSO interested in whether this file is wiped out when you do a reformat of the application area, which I've done. The date on the file is like 1970, so that didn't help determine if it was new, although there was a comment on one of the channels saying that it had changed names in 2006, suggesting that the file was very old.

Basically I was just curious if perhaps it was put on there in Florida, and it wouldn't go away on reformatting and putting in new firmware, or if this was still being included with new firmware? It's just a bit hard to believe that the Azbox people themselves would put this file in there, because I'd think that DN would use this as proof in court that they are attempting to make a box to be used by pirates. Ie I'd hate to see Azbox sued by DN, putting them out of business.

Anyway, I'm just a bit surprised to find that info there. There were also a couple files which had info on where the receiver would find DN EPG info, etc, along with some Nimiq info.

Anyway, interesting.

hmm, maybe with the new UPDATED firmwares the AZBOX people think that it could possibly work to hack DN. What are they thinking??

Hi BJ

Hi BJ,
After reading the things I've read these past few days it wouldn't surprise me one way or another. That being said it could be the file was put in there for the FTA channels that you could once get on those satellites and not for any illegal purposes. According to what I have read recently the Azbox as many other receivers have been used for things they aren't intended for...

Something else I saw in my research and off topic several new receivers coming out or that have come out are nothing but copies of other receivers under a different name and claiming to be a new design. It's so bad that in some cases these new receivers don't even change the layouts, they just stick them in a different color box and claim to be a totally new design. Often they just use cheaper parts...The original receiver is made in one location and then someone in another location takes the original receiver reverse engineers it and copies the design and sales it under their logo.

To me that's counterfeiting..I might be wrong but to me it is..

According to what I have read recently the Azbox as many other receivers have been used for things they aren't intended for...

yup in fact the seller at ebay if you look at his ebay sales, he clearly says TELEVISION GRATIS BRASIL SATELLITE AMAZON which means FREE BRAZIL AMAZON SATELLITE TV.
Amazon is a service in South America and its certainly not free.

So it does make you wonder :rolleyes:

I don't find it unusual that a receiver like this might be aimed at the pirate market, but usually it isn't quite this obvious, unless the Azbox people aren't aware of what the programmers put in there.
It also seemed a bit strange since I thought that this was a receiver aimed at the European market, and yet there is no such channel list for European services.
I'm also just a bit curious how they intended this list to be used? I'm almost tempted to scan in all the encrypted channels on one transponder just to see if it labels them with these names, or just uses the short abbreviations that show up in the SDT streams. Perhaps this long list is for use with the EPG or something.
I'm mainly just curious why the file is there and protected, when you'd think that if the receiver was eventually exploited by pirates, that they would add their own up to date file.

One other thing I noticed, was that a bunch of the channels were labeled as (8PSK). This receiver isn't able to tune turbo-8PSK, and I've never heard of an add on tuner to allow it to do that (actually, I've never heard of ANY add on tuners of any kind for the NA market), so it's strange that they would include channels on transponders that can't even be locked by the receiver.

Oh well, not important at all. It just struck my curiosity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts