Do I have to connect to a phone line?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

john262

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2005
I have received conflicting information on this. A local retailer has told me that all of my Diectv receivers have to be connected to a phone line, and if that's the case I guess I'm dead in the water. I don't have a land line. I only use cellular for phone service and I get my Internet through fixed wireless.

However, I read on line that you only need the phone line to order pay per view, so if I don't intend to ever order pay per view, can I still have Directv? Or will it cost more for multiple receivers if they aren't connected to a land line? I want it in three rooms.

I am sick of Charter cable. The picture quality on their analog channels is bad.

You do not need to have your receivers connected to the phone line. You can still order PPV as well you will just need to do it through the internet on D*s website. The only exception to this is if you are getting a DVR. The DVR must complete its initial setup via the phone line. After the initial setup the phone can be disconnected. If you are getting a DVR take it to a friends house. Plug it in force a call and then take it home and hook it up....Welcome to Satelliteguys!

Thanks guys. I called someone else and they told me that I don't need a phone line, however, I will be charged extra for additional outlets if they aren't connected to a phone line. Is this true or are they blowing smoke too?

john262 said:
Thanks guys. I called someone else and they told me that I don't need a phone line, however, I will be charged extra for additional outlets if they aren't connected to a phone line. Is this true or are they blowing smoke too?

That is the official line from D* but speaking from experience this is not the case....Don't sweat it!

I know that Dish Network says that if they are an x number of feet away from a phone jack that you do not need to connect them but you do not need to connect them anyways unless you have several receivers on the account.

I recently moved and did not have phone jacks anywhere near the receivers and when I reactivated I told the D* customer service rep this and the person told me it was not a problem these days.

I asked specifically if phone lines was no longer required, and was told this was only true for ordering PPV, or you could just order off the web.

So if anyone is telling you a phone line is need this is bull and only trying to get you to pay more.

Greg

What about having a sports package subscrption like Sunday Ticket? I have 5 receivers and only 2 are connected to phone line. Will they require phone on all if I add Sunday Ticket? Directv has told me yes, I need phone lines on all, but anyone have real experience with doing this, this is, do they enforce?

Doesn't DirecTv only allow the sports channels/NFL Ticket package on the first receiver if the remaining are not connected to an active phone line?

I have 4 receivers. None of them are connected to a phone line and I have never had a problem. I always order ppv and sports subscription online or over the phone to be safe.

bluff1 said:
You Have To Have Aphone Line Hooked Up To All To Get Nfl Sunday Ticket!!!!!!!!

No you don't. Like I said, I have never had a phone line hooked up to any of my receivers and have had NFLST for the past 5 years with no problems.

yeah...d* is going to tell you that you need the phone line connected. however they can make exceptions say if you dont' have a phone line in your house, or you don't have a phone line real close to your ird. so no, you don't really need the phone line.
-Greg

Try telling that to Dish Network. They told me that it was required or else. I guess when I get a cell phone I will have to go to DirecTv.

I have 3 receivers, none of which are connected to a phone line. I also get Sunday ticket and all my PPV's that I order through the net on all 3 receivers. The D rep told me if you order PPV's off the internet the signal is automatically sent to all of your receivers and any extra packages will be as well. He said the Sunday ticket is like part of your programming so you dont need a phone line.

thanks to all the replies for the clarification, i was a bit worried about going ahead with the dvr package, but now i know i can always go next door to my neighbors to plug in the r10 for the initial activation, or just run a 50+ ft phone line into their house. either way :)

JerryVolunteer said:
I have 3 receivers, none of which are connected to a phone line. I also get Sunday ticket and all my PPV's that I order through the net on all 3 receivers. The D rep told me if you order PPV's off the internet the signal is automatically sent to all of your receivers and any extra packages will be as well. He said the Sunday ticket is like part of your programming so you dont need a phone line.

This may sound like a stupid question, but how do they transmit your ppv or sunday ticket to your receivers if it is not connected to a phone line.

JerryVolunteer said:

The phone line isn't REQUIRED by any means. It is recommended, however, for (as many have stated) PPV ordering.

Why? This is how I explain it to customers who call in and ask that very question:

When you order a PPV event or movie by using your remote, that information is stored on the hard drive of the receiver. The phone line is needed in this case so that the receiver can make a call, and that ordering information will be downloaded onto your billing information, so your bills will be more accurate.

If you don't have a phone line, and you order PPV via your remote, eventually, the HD in the receiver will get "full," and you'll have to connect a phone line and call DTV to have the receiver make a call to clear it.

As for calling to order PPV, here's a hint on avoiding the $5 phone transaction fee: if you go through the IVR (automated phone system), and it doesn't let you order the PPV, for God knows what reason, and you get transferred to a CSR, they'll waived that fee for ya.

There's a log on your account, though, that tells the CSR whether or not you actually were transferred from the IVR, so if you try and tell them otherwise, you'll just get transferred right back to the IVR.

And, the NFL Sunday Ticket IS like part of your programming. So no, a phone line is not required for that, either.

100144618 said:
The phone line isn't REQUIRED by any means. It is recommended, however, for (as many have stated) PPV ordering.

Why? This is how I explain it to customers who call in and ask that very question:

When you order a PPV event or movie by using your remote, that information is stored on the hard drive of the receiver. The phone line is needed in this case so that the receiver can make a call, and that ordering information will be downloaded onto your billing information, so your bills will be more accurate.

If you don't have a phone line, and you order PPV via your remote, eventually, the HD in the receiver will get "full," and you'll have to connect a phone line and call DTV to have the receiver make a call to clear it.

As for calling to order PPV, here's a hint on avoiding the $5 phone transaction fee: if you go through the IVR (automated phone system), and it doesn't let you order the PPV, for God knows what reason, and you get transferred to a CSR, they'll waived that fee for ya.

There's a log on your account, though, that tells the CSR whether or not you actually were transferred from the IVR, so if you try and tell them otherwise, you'll just get transferred right back to the IVR.

And, the NFL Sunday Ticket IS like part of your programming. So no, a phone line is not required for that, either.

Erm, it's not the HD it's the AC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts