NFL Moves KC-MIA Game to Friday

Status
Please reply by conversation.

seadog

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Anyone know if this game will be part of the Sunday Ticket package? I believe this happened last year and the game was not televised anywhere outside the local markets.

I believe the game last year was rescheduled for Saturday which conflicted with an agreement between the NCAA and the NFL. This game is supposed to be on Directv channel 706 on Friday @ 7 EST for Sunday Ticket subscribers.

Two Dolphin games were moved last year because of hurricanes. One was move to Saturday and was not shown. The other was moved to Monday night and it was shown on DirecTV.

I feel that since we are paying to see all the games we should get all the games regardless of which day they are actually played. The agreement between NCAA and the NFL made sense in the '60s when you only had a few channels to watch. Now you have over a dozen college games on a single Saturday which are all competing against another for people to watch. Adding a NFL game on Saturday isn't going to make people stop watching college football. The NFL should get rid of this rule for us paying customers who want to see the games.

Chris

Actually, the first time that happened on D* a few years ago when a Sunday game was shifted to Sunday or Monday night, this was the story: If it is an "exclusive game" like Sunday or Monday night, NFLST does not get to show it, but if, by shifting a Sunday afternoon game to Sunday or Monday night BOTH games that night could be shown on NFLST. (That was cool because that was before LIL was available for Philadelphia. Yeah, that long ago.) Those rules may have changed and probably don't apply here anyway, as this game is being moved to Friday.

The game will be shown locally in Miami & KC only. It will be on the NFL network on Sunday sometime.
It is called Sunday Ticket if you call them and ask.

chazcbh said:
The game will be shown locally in Miami & KC only. It will be on the NFL network on Sunday sometime.
It is called Sunday Ticket if you call them and ask.

Programming consists of all Sunday games broadcast on FOX and CBS at 1pm and 4pm ET. However, games broadcast by your local FOX or CBS affiliate will not be available in NFL SUNDAY TICKET. Subscription broadcasts during Week 16 will air on Saturday, December 24. Commercial locations require an appropriate licensee agreement. Signal theft is subject to civil and criminal penalties. "NFL," the NFL Shield design, "NFL SUNDAY TICKET" and its respective logo are registered trademarks of the National Football League and its affiliates.

Don't be a wiseass, dude.

From ESPN.

The game will be televised by CBS affiliates in primary secondary markets in South Florida and Kansas City. But there will be no national telecast.

"We are not extending the telecast to more markets because we want to adhere as closely as possible to the spirit of our longstanding policy not to conflict with high school and college football during their seasons [which means Friday night and Saturday]," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Looks like it's offical....

Well this just blows - looks like it's official....I'm a Dolphins fan and the main reason I bought ST is to get those games - same sh*t alst year....

Say....do any D* 'experts' know if any of those listed Mia or KC Markets are on a CONUS bird, or if any Spots Beam would reach the Austin TX area? (possibly one in the KC market?) I'm hoping to pick up a vacation home there before tomorrow and 'move' my service address......

BS Will Limit Airing of NFL Game

By Ben Grossman -- Broadcasting & Cable, 10/20/2005 6:01:00 PM

After the NFL moved the Miami Dolphins-Kansas City Chiefs NFL game to Friday night due to Hurricane Wilma, CBS said it will show the game in five selected local markets.

The game, which will kick off at 7 p.m. ET in Miami, will air on CBS affiliates in Miami (WFOR), West Palm Beach (WPEC), Fort Myers (WINK), Kansas City (KCTV) and Topeka (WIBW) – which combine to make up 3.47% of the country’s viewership.

The rest of the nation will see CBS’s regularly-scheduled Friday-night lineup of Ghost Whisperer, Threshold and Numb3rs, in conjunction with the NFL's long-standing policy of not wanting to conflict with high school and college games.

However, fans outside of these markets will be unable to see the game live at all, even for subscribers of the DirecTV “Sunday Ticket” NFL package, which does not have the rights outside of its Sunday window.

The NFL will, however, air the game via delay on its NFL Network Sunday night at a time to be determined.

What's the email address for the NFL? I'd like to send a message to them that since I'm paying over $200/year to see these games I want them whenever they are played. This is the second year in a row I've missed a game because the NFL changed the day of the game and won't broadcast the game for Sunday Ticket subscribers. This is about the last straw for me. Between the price hicks for the Sunday Ticket and HD games and not showing all the games I think this is my last year for Sunday Ticket after having it for 10 years. This could very well be the end of me being a DirecTV customer after 10 years also.

I'm sure that the NFL will be very helpful when they hear that missing your team play is more important then a hurricane. :rolleyes:

You will NEVER see an NFL game on TV during college/high school football season.

"We are not extending the telecast to more markets because we want to adhere as closely as possible to the spirit of our longstanding policy not to conflict with high school and college football during their seasons [which means Friday night and Saturday]," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

I didn't say missing a Dolphin game is more important than a hurricane.

The game is being played and televised, just not to Sunday Ticket subscribers. I can understand the NFL doesn't want to broadcast nationally a game on Friday night or Saturday, but this game is being broadcast locally, and I paid over $200 to watch NFL games. Since I'm a paying customer, why not give me what I paid for?

My opinion is since I'm paying for these games I should seem them whenever they are played.

You guys are missing the point. We also went through this last year:
Oliva said the NFL imposed the blackout to avoid possible antitrust sanctions. Although contracts between television networks and professional sports leagues are immune from antitrust scrutiny under a 1961 congressional exemption, a superseding 1966 law withdrew immunity for any professional football game telecast on Friday night or Saturday if any high school or college football game was being played within 75 miles of the broadcast station that same day.

The 1966 rule was part of a law exempting the NFL’s merger with the American Football League from antitrust review. Oliva said the National Collegiate Athletic Association lobbied Congress for the Friday-Saturday ban in order to prevent the NFL from telecasting games at the same time most college and high school football games were being played.

According to Oliva, the NFL could telecast the Saturday game nationally, but doing so would open the league up to an antitrust lawsuit from any college or high school that has a game scheduled that day.
From source Voluntary Trade Council.

The NFL cannot nationally televise the Friday night game.

what will happen if i call directv and ask for a credit for this weeks games since they won't be showing the dolphins game on sunday ticket? I don't think that is too much to ask.

It is nice to see all you Dol-Fans in the forum. I am also very disappointed that I will not be able to see the Fins tonight. Like a few others, I only have the NFL ST so that I can watch the Fins. Matter of fact, I only have D* so that I can get NFL ST so that I watch the Fins. With this happening again this season and the additional SuperFan HD fee (on top of the monthly HD fee), I am really starting this rethink having this service beyond this season. Up in NE, Comcast sure has some nice deals going on. With the local HD channels and DVR, it is looking very attractive.

Enough of the tangent, it is time to revisit this anti-competitive rules that are in place. I understand the idea behind it, but the times has changed. Since the only people in the entire US that would have access to watch the game tonight outside of the local markets have to have D* with the NFL ST, that does not have the same potential audience that Monday Night Football on ABC has today. I don't have the stats readily available, but I would guess that we're talking 5-10% of the audience (if that). If that's the case, high school football, college football, and network TV would not take a noticeable hit in their audience. It's not like the first game of the MLB world series is tonight.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)