Do I have to have a house phone to get Directv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cubcake1

Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
I have abandoned my house phone for a cell phone only. To get Directv, do I have to be able to connect to them via a phone?

My TIVO connects thru my high speed wireless internet connection. Will Directv receivers do this same thing?

Is there such thing as an adapter for a cell phone that will allow an outside device to dial out?

Any help is appreciated :)

Cheers!

cubcake1 said:
I have abandoned my house phone for a cell phone only. To get Directv, do I have to be able to connect to them via a phone?

NO

My TIVO connects thru my high speed wireless internet connection. Will Directv receivers do this same thing?

If you mean a standard DirecTV receiver it dosen't need that phone line accept to transfer any PPV type purchases, which you can order all online, which I prefer because then it shoes on all TVs in the house with a receiver. There is a surcharge.

Is there such thing as an adapter for a cell phone that will allow an outside device to dial out?

NO, not that I have ever read about without also needing to have a land line account. BUT no need in this case.

I was researching the same question. Do a look up on Dock-N-Talk. This looks like a good solution.

Be VERY carefull before spending any money.

http://www.phonelabs.com/prd05.asp

http://www.phonelabs.com/faq01.asp

Q:

Does Dock-N-Talk work with modems, fax machines,
security systems, credit card readers, Tivo, Direct TV or other
satellite TV systems?

A:

Digital voice networks do not support modem or fax tones.
Older analog service will allow use of modems at very low
speeds and fax. The Dock-N-Talk will work with certain
devices that use DTMF to transmit information such as various
makes of security alarm systems. Certain credit card
readers, Tivo, Direct TV or other satellite TV systems will only
work if your cell phone supports an analog service or
communicates using DTMF.

charper1 said:
you can order all online, which I prefer because then it shows on all TVs in the house with a receiver. There is a surcharge.

The surcharge is only if you call them and order over the phone, I never have been charged extra for ordering online.

Not meant as a critique, just figured that is what you meant.

Unless that policy has changed, in which case, correct me, and I'll edit this post.

:)

Last edited:
thr r15 dvr does NOT have to have a phone line either, gets it software updates from d from the sattelites, software updates from d,,,, mwa ha ha ha .. very scary.
no, n0 surchages ordering over the internet, yet until almost everyone is using it in several years.

My bad, your correction is right Damaged: I thought the surcharge was online & phone; so its just for phone ordering? I also noticed I can't spell "shows" either LOL - "shoes"

charper1 said:
so its just for phone ordering?

As far as I know, on my D* paperwork it said the charge for the phone was for the live csr assistance, but it is almost a year old, and I haven't ordered online for a few months, so I thought maybe you knew something I didn't.

As for the typos, if you want, you correct your errors in that post, and I'll correct my post that quoted the error. ;)

charper1 said:
Nah, thanks; I am an admitted bad speller and missed the spell check button, so I will learn! LOL!

Too late, I had already corrected mine, and it somehow feels taboo for me to 'uncorrect' it. :)

5 phone fee from a csr would be from ordering a ppv or making a payment through a live agent, nothing i have ever heard of

If you do not have your reciever hooked up to a phone line........You will die ! :devil:

Last edited:
There is ZERO reason to hook up a phone line to ANY D* reciever. None of the recievers need a phone line, and you can prder all your PPV and sports packages for free on D*s website. The phone line is simply to track what you are doing.

VIPERS-PIT said:
There is ZERO reason to hook up a phone line to ANY D* reciever. None of the recievers need a phone line, and you can prder all your PPV and sports packages for free on D*s website. The phone line is simply to track what you are doing.

The reciever will explode and kill him if the phone line is not hooked up. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I actually called to order the service a few months ago, but the CSR said I had to have it hooked up to the phone. They let me hang up without telling me it was not absolutely necessary. Not a good sales person to say the least.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)