Do I have to have a landline?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ghc37

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
If I don't order pay per view, can I get by without a telephone land line? I have absolutely no use for a landline except for Directv. I hate to waste money paying for it if I can get by without it.

You do not need a landline with DirecTV. I don't have one and haven't for the past 6 years. You can order your PPV online or on the phone if you really want. The land line was usefull in the past for old dvr's that communicated with Tivo but with the new dvr's it is not needed. Enjoy your DirecTV without a phone line. :D

I had heard that the tech's that install the receiver had to hook it up or they would get docked on part of their install pay. Is that just a rumor?

I just don't have a landline and am getting my service installed next week and I don't want to worry about any extra fees. I can live with not being able to order pay-per-view with my remote. I use Redbox most of the time anyway, I gotta go out, but it's only a buck instead of $3 and $4.

what about updates

When directv sends out those software upgrades does that come through the telephone line?

I had heard that the tech's that install the receiver had to hook it up or they would get docked on part of their install pay. Is that just a rumor?

Not a rumor, depending upon what company they work for. DirecTV allows a certain percentage of customers to be without an active phone connection, after which they start charging the installation company $5 per receiver not connected. The company may turn around and charge the individual tech that same fee.

With NFL Sunday Ticket, yes you need it.

Otherwise no, as long as you don't want PPV through the remote.

CID through the TV wouldn't be an issue for the OP because they wouldn't have a landline anyway.

DTV used to tell me that I needed the lan line to get sports packages, that was crap though. We didn't have a land line at my old place a while back and we never had problem getting any sports subscriptions like Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass or MLB Extra Innings. I think it's just something they would say hoping you would hook it up to a lan line.

They want you to have a LAND LINE; because remote purchase are great impulse buys, so with out the LAND LINE; you are less likely to be up-sold.

I am under the impression that you can have your box plugged in to the internet via your network and you would be able to order PPV with the remote even though no land line plugged in. Correct?

I am under the impression that you can have your box plugged in to the internet via your network and you would be able to order PPV with the remote even though no land line plugged in. Correct?

Hmmmm,
Thats the first I've heard that one mentioned.

Jimbo

Just a heads up but if you also have cable internet and use a voip phone service like Vonage you can connect a phone jack via the adapter and it works just like a landline without having a landline because thats what I use.

I called D* about not using my phone line. As I was thinking about just using my cell. They told me that I didn't need to have it. However if I was using the ir vod services that I would not be able to get vod without having my receiver hooked up to a phone line. Don't know if that is true or not. I have DSL and I would keep that.

I called D* about not using my phone line. As I was thinking about just using my cell. They told me that I didn't need to have it. However if I was using the ir vod services that I would not be able to get vod without having my receiver hooked up to a phone line. Don't know if that is true or not. I have DSL and I would keep that.

I am getting vod with out a phone line

Status
Please reply by conversation.