Do I have to push select every morning?

:upThanks for the "auto tune in" tip. I tried it last night and it works perfectly. I made the mistake of calling Dish Tech Support last month and spent an hour on the phone - they had no clue why I was having to hit select every morning to get my receiver to work. Maybe they should read this forum as part of their technical training.

My wife and I work "erratic" schedules.And no matter what time I change it to it always seems like its wanting to do a update when one of us is watching tv. I just find it very odd Dish needs to do a update every single night...
The nightly reboot was implemented after it was obvious the box could not go much past 24 hours without exhibiting multiple problems with it's software. Instead of thousands of people calling Dish and the CSRs spending fifteen minutes walking people through a reboot, the box now automatically does it everyday.

The necessity of reboots is usually caused by software memory "leaks" and properly debugged software does not have this problem and will run for months without (substantial) loss of memory. When the loss (actually a loss of tracking of what is used) becomes great enough the computer becomes unstable or just unusable because there is not enough memory to still work. This applies to any computer from calculator to mainframe. (With the 921 you had to have a good day to get through 24 hours.)
-Ken

:upThanks for the "auto tune in" tip. I tried it last night and it works perfectly. I made the mistake of calling Dish Tech Support last month and spent an hour on the phone - they had no clue why I was having to hit select every morning to get my receiver to work. Maybe they should read this forum as part of their technical training.

:)

The nightly reboot was implemented after it was obvious the box could not go much past 24 hours without exhibiting multiple problems with it's software. Instead of thousands of people calling Dish and the CSRs spending fifteen minutes walking people through a reboot, the box now automatically does it everyday.

The necessity of reboots is usually caused by software memory "leaks" and properly debugged software does not have this problem and will run for months without (substantial) loss of memory. When the loss (actually a loss of tracking of what is used) becomes great enough the computer becomes unstable or just unusable because there is not enough memory to still work. This applies to any computer from calculator to mainframe. (With the 921 you had to have a good day to get through 24 hours.)
-Ken

And there are the real answers of why it reboots every night.

Yep, this works great! As for the tech training...:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts