Do I need to amplify the output from the home distribution port on a VIP 722?

fharris770

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Georgia
I use the HOME DISTRIBUTION cable output on my VIP 722 to distribute it's signal to multiple locations throughout the house. House is +20 years old and has rg59 coax runs to a dozen or more locations (Two story house with finished basement). There are 4 "main" cable runs, 2 to the attic, 1 to main level and 1 to basement and each is split to other runs from there. I use a four way splitter at the coax out (Home Distribution Port )currently. It works "OK" but picture varies from location to location.

I have a opportunity to upgrade due to having to open up sheetrock walls on each level of the house to accommodate new HVAC install. I can run RG6 cable and/or CAT 5 or CAT 6. What would be best? More dedicated runs, less main runs and more splitting? Also, do I need to amplify the signal to get better results? Any opinions or alternative suggestions would be appreciated.

Home run everything! Splitters spread out all over the place give you uneven signal loss. With everything home run you also have much more flexibility to reconfigure. When I do a pre-wire for a new house, I run 3 RG-6 to the main TV locations, e.g. Living room, Family room, Theatre room, and one to every other location. Here most houses have full basements and the electric service panel is there. All of the cable runs should terminate there. Do NOT have any splitters or splices anywhere else in the house.

As for amplification, if you use RG6 and only hook up the ones you need you should not need to amplify.

(1) Yes, upgrade the cable from RG-59 to RG-6. CAT5/6 requires converters for TV and will be fairly expensive for a lot of runs but the equipment there is still the main cost.
(2) Yes, home runs to your central location are preferable, so use as many cables as are needed and add spares. It is easy with wall open. It does not hurt to have CAT5/6 wires now even if you do not connect it. You may want to add it to use on the ethernet of the receivers and computers.
(3) I use an RSH 4-way 10dB amp that works. This is a better by 4x than a 10dB plus a 4-way splitter. Note the 622 series output is amplified somewhat.
-Ken

Thanks guys. I have started to run the rg6 for TV and will run some cat 5 also for ethernet. KKlare -- can you give me a source for the RSH 4-Way 10dB amp? I tried to find on ebay and radio shack on line w/o success. Is this a "one way" or bidirectional amp?? I am on the lower end of the learning curve for this stuff. I think the 722 coax output is also amplified somewhat. I just want to be sure I use an amp that is compatible.

add a 25dB distribution amp RG6 isn't that much of an improvement over RG59. He is still going to have a "dozen or more" outlets.

add a 25dB distribution amp RG6 isn't that much of an improvement over RG59. He is still going to have a "dozen or more" outlets.

Yes it does make it a big difference especially if is cheep poor quality RG-59. Now if he is going to hook up all 12+ outlets he will need one, but if he isn't going to use them all I would suggest not splitting off to them right now.

Thanks guys. I have started to run the rg6 for TV and will run some cat 5 also for ethernet. KKlare -- can you give me a source for the RSH 4-Way 10dB amp? I tried to find on ebay and radio shack on line w/o success. Is this a "one way" or bidirectional amp?? I am on the lower end of the learning curve for this stuff. I think the 722 coax output is also amplified somewhat. I just want to be sure I use an amp that is compatible.
The amp is a Recotron V312UL (tiny backside print). Because the input is amplified already I would not go for much more than the 10dB additional. Being split in the amp means the level does not get to saturation, likely. It is likely directional and has less feedback into the input than a passive splitter would. IIRC I bought it at Radio Shack but they may not carry the product from a year or more ago. I bring my cables to wall plates with slip-in squares from Home Depot. The Dish feed throughs (barrels) were replaced by me based on installer's insistence that they must be blue cored.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)