Do I need to rent - or can I purchase?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mobleyads

Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Iowa
I'm an "old man", new to DirecTV, and confused. I have a vacation house where I am required to have satellite (no cable available) in the Blue Ridge mountains. The "rent" for the receivers is often more than the satellite subscription up there! Can I purchase recievers and get rid of the rent? DirecTV says "no" but I see all kinds of ads for good receivers for sale.
Thanks, "Old Man";)

I'm an "old man", new to DirecTV, and confused. I have a vacation house where I am required to have satellite (no cable available) in the Blue Ridge mountains. The "rent" for the receivers is often more than the satellite subscription up there! Can I purchase recievers and get rid of the rent? DirecTV says "no" but I see all kinds of ads for good receivers for sale.
Thanks, "Old Man";)

By rent, I'm assuming you mean the lease fee. If so, then the answer is yes, you can get rid of the lease fee but you will end up paying an additional receiver fee that is the exact same amount. Therefore, you're bill won't change.

By rent, I'm assuming you mean the lease fee. If so, then the answer is yes, you can get rid of the lease fee but you will end up paying an additional receiver fee that is the exact same amount. Therefore, you're bill won't change.

he's right. it's not worth buying the equipment. it's cheaper to lease. they usually waive the 1st lease fee anyway. i have an HR21 and a H21 and D waives the lease fee for the dvr in my case anyway.

Getting service for only a vacation home is going to cost you unless you have DirecTV at your regular home. We're talking a two-year commitment with monthly payments as DirecTV really doesn't have a month-to-month service plan. You just can't simply turn it off and on for the days, weeks, or months you're not up at your vacation home.

No. You can freeze the account for a time. You'll still have how long the commitment was left when you unfreeze (As in, if you had 6 months left before you froze, freezing leaves you with 6 month commitment).

If you don't mind a 1 year or 2 year commitment and freezing your account when your account and unfreezing when going to the vacation home, it would be a decent idea. Just remember 1 to 2 year commitment will end up being alot longer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts