do i need to send back cables/remotes during receiver upgrade

happymister

Original poster
May 19, 2004
Hi,

just received the 510 PVR as an upgrade ($79) to my previous 311.
the letter that came with it just says put the previous receiver
back in the same box, put the pre-paid UPS label and send it back.

no mention about cables/remotes. Can i hold on to them ?
can use them as spares.. esp the remote for emergencies since it
is only a IR remote.(and without PVR buttons).

happymister said:
Hi,

just received the 510 PVR as an upgrade ($79) to my previous 311.
the letter that came with it just says put the previous receiver
back in the same box, put the pre-paid UPS label and send it back.

no mention about cables/remotes. Can i hold on to them ?
can use them as spares.. esp the remote for emergencies since it
is only a IR remote.(and without PVR buttons).

My understanding of Dish's policy is if you are returning equipment, (receivers) you must also include the original remote control you were given with the unit. I had this same question when I upgraded to my 921 and 721 and in both cases was returning 301 receivers. I called DISH customer service and in both cases they told me not to forget to return the remote or I would be charged for it. No mention however of returning any cables. Hope this helps.

My mother-in-law had a receiver swap out (her 721 went belly up), and the replacement receiver did not come with any of that stuff, just the receiver.

I would imagine though, as Mark S. said, your best bet would be to return the remote at the least.

Dish might miss it, and not charge you, but is the remote really worth the charge you would incur?

aperry said:
My mother-in-law had a receiver swap out (her 721 went belly up), and the replacement receiver did not come with any of that stuff, just the receiver.

I would imagine though, as Mark S. said, your best bet would be to return the remote at the least.

Dish might miss it, and not charge you, but is the remote really worth the charge you would incur?
There's a difference between a RMA swap and an upgrade.

Return the remote when upgrading, keep it when swapping - because you'll find they don't ship new remotes with the replacement receiver. That's easy, tho, because you wait for the new one before you ship the old one, and you'll figure that part out fairly quickly. :D

SimpleSimon said:
There's a difference between a RMA swap and an upgrade.

Return the remote when upgrading, keep it when swapping - because you'll find they don't ship new remotes with the replacement receiver. That's easy, tho, because you wait for the new one before you ship the old one, and you'll figure that part out fairly quickly. :D

Yes, Simon is absolutely correct...

The difference is all dependent on if you are swapping out a defective receiver with a replacement of the same model (keep your remote and return only the defective equipment) or upgrading a receiver and returning a unit to be removed from you account (must return original remote with receiver).

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts