Do Not Use Chromecast with Google TV for Sling TV

HobbyTalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
SW Florida
I purchased a Chromecast with Google TV to use with my Sling TV subscription. Was hoping for a better UI then the one on the FireStick/Cube. Generally the steamed channels work OK but the OTA channels (using AirTV Anywhere) have major buffering problems. There are no buffering problems using the Firestick. Contacted Sling and they are staying that the Chromecast dongle is not a supported platform so I'm out of luck. You would think that if Sling TV allows their app to be preloaded on hardware they they would make sure it works halfway decently.

I have the old Chromecast I cast from a Chrome book. I was thinking of the new Google TV, but I think I will save my money. The Fire sticks work well enough.

I would think there are other issues at play here.
Sling is obviously supported by Android tv, and that is the underlying software for fire stick as well.

If you are using OTA channels over your WiFi network via another device, I’d start there.

I am not using on any other device at the same time. Other users on the Sling TV reddit forum are having the same problem. I messaged them and here is the response I got.

Chromecast is not one of the supported devices for Air TV, if you look at that link I sent it will show the devices that support that function. That may be why you are experiencing this buffering. -Brandy R
http://spr.ly/6187G7aCH

I have the old Chromecast I cast from a Chrome book. I was thinking of the new Google TV, but I think I will save my money. The Fire sticks work well enough.
The problem is the OTA channels. For the most part the steaming channels work fine. The other problem is the remote will not control my Vizio TV or my Onkyo AVR. There are only 2 codes to try for each device and neither work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts