Do-rag fussing: The NBA's got it right

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
Charge of racism over new dress code is silly

All the buzz on sports talk radio is over the NBA’s new dress code and whether it's a sign of racism on the part of the league, which wants players to shed do-rags and down-to-your-knees baggy pants for suits and collared shirts.

It’s understandable for players, most of them under age 25, to whine, but it’s silly that this has become a topic of serious debate in the mainstream media. It speaks less to the issue of racism and far more to the lack of intelligent conversation on the sports chat shows.

The NBA has made a business decision, and it's a smart one, having nothing to do with race. The league quite rightly aspires to clean up its image after several years that have brought us the long saga of Los Angeles Laker Kobe Bryant’s rape accusation and last year’s Detroit Pistons-Indiana Pacers brawl. The league could use a good scrubbing, and a dress code is a place to begin, as minor as it may seem.

The NBA is first an entertainment enterprise, and that means competing with other forms of entertainment to provide a good product. The product is not just the play, the actual basketball game, but the players, on the court and off. How they behave does matter, and so too does their appearance. Hence the outlawing of T-shirts, headgear, chains, medallions and sunglasses, among other things, at team or league functions.

Critics claim this is a direct swipe at the NBA’s young black players, a move to suppress their culture and their individuality. The truth is that the league is moving to protect its brand, and a lot of that brand is about the role professional athletes play in the lives of America's young.

The tragedies of American sports, the biggest disappointments, are the players who violate their bond with the parents and children who followed them, cheered them, cursed them, but still always wanted to believe in them. Baseball's Pete Rose is just one name that comes to mind.

In reality, the only rightful criticism of the NBA is that it waited too long. The league has never done as good a job reaching out to the fans as the NFL and Major League Baseball, both of which publicize their community and charity outreach quite effectively.

The league has suffered accordingly, with a fickle public that tunes in or attends when there are true stars on the court but falls away when they leave the game. Professional basketball lacks the deep love of the sport that baseball enjoys, even for its problems, keeping fans coming back during down times.

The NBA's dress code presents a rare chance for the league to tackle a problem, its sloppy presentation, and actually follow through on it.

Granted, there are much bigger problems facing sports today, such as baseball’s steroid scandal, increasing crime rates among athletes, and the lack of minority coaches. But in an era when players’ paychecks get bigger and bigger, it’s nice to see them being held accountable for something.

Philadelphia 76ers guard Allen Iverson protested to the Philadelphia Daily News: “It sends a bad message to kids. If you don't have a suit on when you go to school, is the teacher going to think you're a bad kid?”

That’s baloney. Nearly every workplace in the country has some form of dress code, and the standards get tougher the more money one makes. If these players wore T-shirts or baggy pants to any other job paying anywhere close to what they make, they’d be fired.

Maybe if the NBA began firing players it would regain some of the public's respect.

Meanwhile, in sports ratings for the week ended Oct. 16, CBS’s Sunday NFL coverage edged Fox’s football games by 0.5 household rating points for the No. 1 slot among sporting events with an 11.0 average.

Fox, with baseball and football coverage, had six of the week’s top 10 events.

NBC’s Notre Dame-USC game averaged a 6.7 household rating, placing first among college football telecasts.

The top-rated sporting event on cable for the week ended Oct. 9 was ESPN’s “Sunday Night Football” game between the Bengals and Jaguars, which averaged a 5.5 household rating. The Oct. 7 Yankees-Angels Divisional Series playoff game on ESPN placed second with a 4.9.

http://medialifemagazine.com/artman/publish/article_834.asp

NBA players are a bunch of whiners millionaires. Suit up and stop whining.... I don't even make one 1% of what they make and I have to suit up for work.

Back up the paddy wagon and haul all the thieves, rapers and murderers off to jail. Better yet, force them to pay child support and actually spend time with their illegitimate children. Players and Owners alike, should be ashamed of themselves; there is certainly nothing "professional" about the National Basketball Association...overpaid criminals can't even win an Olympic Gold Medal (or Silver Medal for that matter).

this is why the nba is having decling ratings. people are tired of the complaining and their attitudes. not to mention the basketball stinks compared to years ago.

riffjim4069 said:
Back up the paddy wagon and haul all the thieves, rapers and murderers off to jail. Better yet, force them to pay child support and actually spend time with their illegitimate children. Players and Owners alike, should be ashamed of themselves; there is certainly nothing "professional" about the National Basketball Association...overpaid criminals can't even win an Olympic Gold Medal (or Silver Medal for that matter).
Stereotyping a little there? :no

cdru said:
Stereotyping a little there? :no
I'm sad to say, only a very little.

One player, speaking anonymously, said there are “a shitload” of illegitimate children born to NBA players every year.

“I would say that close to 50 or 60 percent of all players have had children out of wedlock,” said the player. “It’s crazy. It’s like these guys never read the Ten Commandments. Hello? Having sex outside of marriage is considered adultery. Having children outside of marriage is even worse. Now those kids will grow up knowing that they’re illegitimate bastards. They’ll be ostracized by the normal kids, and for good reason.”

http://thebrushback.com/Archives/nbawedlock_full.htm
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/1998/weekly/980504/insidelook.html

So I guess when they start wearing suits, all the kids, drugs and bentleys go away...

...When you guys want to come back to reality, please do. How these guys dress does not have any reflection on how they act. Steve Nash, who is an eccentric little white man, has complained about this absurd rule change. Tim Duncan, TIM FREAKING DUNCAN, who is as quiet and family-oriented as it gets, has voiced opposition to this rule.

While I don't dress like Allen Iverson, what country do you live in where you don't have the choice in what you wear in your personal time? This is 2005, and this is America, wtf kind of super-racist nonsense is this? What are these guys, slaves? clones? They all have to dress alike? This is Professional Basketball, not David Stern's school for boys.

I guess Ron Artest is going to become sane when he wears a suit eh? I think he's always worn suits, no? I know i've seen him wear them a bunch of times, and the guy has such a bad rap it's absurd, but it makes no difference what clothes he wears. People don't hate Iverson because he wears a do-rag, they hate him because he's a whiny little bitch who can't win a championship.

This whole rule is absurd, absolutely absurd.

you have all the rights the constitution offers on your own time. When you work for someone, it's there rules on how you dress and act. Like public school, kids do not have the right to carry knives, guns and have obscene shirts. They can go to learn not be destructive and express themselves in away that disrupt order and interferes in others learning. You don't go into a theatre and hollower fire, it's not freedom of speech, it disrupts social order and causes panic which could cause someone to be trampled. calling a store and saying there is a bomb threat is not freedom of speech. If you work for a company most require a certain shirt, pants, shoes, hats and attitude. if you don't meet that because you think you have the right to express yourself on there time then your jobless. the NBA for years has been a bad influence and it is past time to make these changes. hey if they do not like it then walk out, o that's right your making millions so you think your above everyone else. as already said suit up and stop whining !!!

I can understand wearing a suit to come to the game, but making these put on a suit to go from the arena to their hotel is just silly. These guys are tired and want to go to sleep/party/whatever. Plus it's not just sometimes, it's all the time. If they're on camera, they have to wear a suit. I don't know if it extends to the off-season, but if it's an NBA-event (interviews, letterman, tv shows, etc...) they have to wear a suit now. I can't wait to see shaq next time he's on regis & kelly. Regis always takes his suit off for it, but shaq's going to have to keep his on...

I don't mind making them dress up before the games, when they're meeting all the kids and whatnot, but they've taken the rule too far too soon. If you've got your kid trying to meet a basketball player after a game (which in most places is at least 11:30pm), the player isn't the bad influence in your child's life.

Besides, isn't it up to the player to decide what kind of role-model he wishes, or doesn't wish, to be? Do you really want your kid taking after Rasheed Wallace? A little parenting goes a lot farther than making these guys wear suits. Not everyone in the NBA is a thug, this whole thing is pretty racist...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)