[Minnesota] Do they make something like a DVR for radio? Considering all formats...AM/FM/SiriusXM

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
[I don't know what happened, I posted a similar thread not too long ago, and don't think I violated any conditions, but I don't see it. So if there are two here, please either delete one thread or combine the two.]

Anyways, I plan to get a home theater set up which would include all formats of radio (AM/FM/SiriusXM), but know I would miss a lot of the programs I want to listen to (such as some talk radio). I like how on TV you can use a DVR to record stuff when you are not there as well as watch and record now and watch again later, but with radio it seems to be live only. Is there any way I can listen or re-listen to old shows when they are not playing live? (I plan to get an A/V receiver with a SiriusXM dock on top, and would like to use something so I can listen later.) What do you suggest? I would appreciate any advise.

I've been curious about this as well. I have noticed that because of my use of DVR, attention span has dwindled.It would be nice to listen to the radio and be able to back up and repeat whatever it was that I just missed.I know there are delay apps and one could record onto a pc, but I want a stand-alone box. I want a DRR. -- Digital Radio Recorder.

I've long wanted such. Especially when I miss a comment.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I can't speak for other brands, but I know some Cadillacs have hard drives in them to store music not sure if it's DVR function like

Some of our listeners have used this item from CCRANE...good for talk shows, FM shows, etc.
From our WION "favorites" selection. It's called the "Witness Plus"...
We often get asked what radios we recommend. Finally made it easy for folks!

Please check it out on our website's amazon store, main page, center bottom. I think it's on page two.
www.i1430.com

I think this would do the trick. Sangean PR-D8 I purchased the DAR-101 also made by Sangean to record my police scanner audio, among other things.

I took the liberty of downloading the manual for the PR-D8 for you. You can read the section for recording the radio on pages 17 & 18 from the attached file.

Attachments

• UM_20110928_3A81SS100000C_PR-D8_GB_R3.pdf
    837.3 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Is there anything I can hook up to a Sony AM/FM A/V receiver with a SiriusXM dock so I can listen to it through the surround sound in the home theater I plan to get? (Want something DVR-like for all three, AM, FM, and SiriusXM formats.) Otherwise I'll just use the internet on my TV and listen to podcasts. If podcasts are the only option, that's fine, but would like to know if anything can hook up to it.

I've always wanted a DVR for the radio in my car too. Like you, I catch the end of something that sounds interesting and wanted to jump back to hear it. I found a way to do this by accident when downloading and trying apps to listen to local stations as I drove out of their coverage area. Many over the air radio stations are simulcast on the internet. I live in a fringe area between two major markets, and frequently use an a free smart phone app I randomly found called "TuneIn Radio" to listen to local stations in the car without it fading into static as I get further from that market. The app keeps a large amount of the stream you have listened to buffered in memory as you listen, and has a skip back button that jumps back 10 seconds for every push. It also has rewind and fast forward button so I can move backwards and forwards larger amounts of time within the buffer.

I've always wanted a DVR for the radio in my car too. Like you, I catch the end of something that sounds interesting and wanted to jump back to hear it. I found a way to do this by accident when downloading and trying apps to listen to local stations as I drove out of their coverage area. Many over the air radio stations are simulcast on the internet. I live in a fringe area between two major markets, and frequently use an a free smart phone app I randomly found called "TuneIn Radio" to listen to local stations in the car without it fading into static as I get further from that market. The app keeps a large amount of the stream you have listened to buffered in memory as you listen, and has a skip back button that jumps back 10 seconds for every push. It also has rewind and fast forward button so I can move backwards and forwards larger amounts of time within the buffer.

Sounds great for in your car, and something to think about. But what I'm talking about is what can I hook up to a Sony A/V receiver for my future home theater? (I still need to be able to listen to shows when they are not live in case I miss them.) I'm pretty sure I'll have to stick to podcasts, but if there is anything I can hook up to an A/V receiver, let me know.

Sounds great for in your car, and something to think about. But what I'm talking about is what can I hook up to a Sony A/V receiver for my future home theater? (I still need to be able to listen to shows when they are not live in case I miss them.) I'm pretty sure I'll have to stick to podcasts, but if there is anything I can hook up to an A/V receiver, let me know.

Come on. Nobody? I just want to know if I can get an attachment or if I have to listen to podcasts. Any input?

An old VCR,Replaytv or Tivo could be set up to do what you want,as far as recording.Changing channels,setting timers, would be strictly manual tho.

Sounds good. Would I need a separate DVR for AM, FM, and SiriusXM? Or could I use a single DVR for all three?

You'd pretty much be limited to recording only one thing at a time.You would be able to listen to a recorded program while recording another,at least with a Replay or Tivo.If you needed to record from all 3 sources at the same time,you would need 3 separate recording devices.The last I looked Replays are going relatively cheap on fleabay and you don't need to "subscribe "them anymore.

You'd pretty much be limited to recording only one thing at a time.You would be able to listen to a recorded program while recording another,at least with a Replay or Tivo.If you needed to record from all 3 sources at the same time,you would need 3 separate recording devices.The last I looked Replays are going relatively cheap on fleabay and you don't need to "subscribe "them anymore.

Thanks! Probably the way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)