Do we have to re-sign with former dealer?

mr_snerdly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
I have some family members who want to upgrade to the new HD deals, but they want to go through the dealer who installed my equipment, as he does a very good job all around. The secratery of this dealer is telling them that they have to use the dealer who initially installed them and activated their account. They have no idea what dealer they went through years ago... She later said they if they wanted to use my deal/installer, they would have to get permission from Dish to do so.

Does this sound legit to everyone? It seems to me that Dish wouldn't care what dealer you went through for your upgrades etc..

Sorry but DISH dosen't think much of their dealers but they have a problem paying another dealer for doing the work. That dealer is telling the truth without DISH's permission they won't pay him because you weren't his original customer.

Residuals Are A Sensitve Thing With Dishnetwork, If You Can Prove The Retailer You First Went Through Is Not In Business Anymore, Then You Can Go To Any Retailer, You Have To Check This By (customers- 1-888-233-3474) Activations Number, Might Be Faster. If They Say Your First Retailer Isn't Doing Dish Business Anymore Than Any Other Retailer That Wants To, Can Request From Retail Services A Special Dish It Up Form And They Can Do It, Otherwise Ask The Retailer That You Want To Do It, If They Are A Dns Subcontractor, If They Are, All You Have To Do Is Call Dish 1-800-333-3474, Get Set Up, And Call Them Back With Date And Time, And They Can Pull The Work Order From The Head Dns Office In Their State. If They Are Not A Subcontractor Just A Retailer, They Can't Help You With Upgrades; Without Special Circumstances Listed Above Or You Outright Purchase. Good Luck I Hope It Works Out For You Either Way!

digitaldogger said:
Residuals Are A Sensitve Thing With Dishnetwork, If You Can Prove The Retailer You First Went Through Is Not In Business Anymore, Then You Can Go To Any Retailer, You Have To Check This By (customers- 1-888-233-3474) Activations Number, Might Be Faster. If They Say Your First Retailer Isn't Doing Dish Business Anymore Than Any Other Retailer That Wants To, Can Request From Retail Services A Special Dish It Up Form And They Can Do It, Otherwise Ask The Retailer That You Want To Do It, If They Are A Dns Subcontractor, If They Are, All You Have To Do Is Call Dish 1-800-333-3474, Get Set Up, And Call Them Back With Date And Time, And They Can Pull The Work Order From The Head Dns Office In Their State. If They Are Not A Subcontractor Just A Retailer, They Can't Help You With Upgrades; Without Special Circumstances Listed Above Or You Outright Purchase. Good Luck I Hope It Works Out For You Either Way!

This is true. I ran in to it once when trying to upgrade. When I got in to dish network 9 years ago there was only one retailer in my area, but they were 35 min drive and long distance phone calls. The closer retailers said " they couldn't do it because they weren't my original installer. "

Later,

BigJohn2

if i remember right, they can either set it up through Dish or through their original retailer for a Dishn' it up promotion... O, and please dont give out the retailer activation number. I know its probably easy to find elsewhere... but lets not make it really easy. There is a reason there are two different numbers. And i'm not trying to be mean, cause I see you just joined (welcome, by the way) but we try not to give it out here.

gdarwin said:
What happens if they call Dish for the install?
I had started with my local dealer but they had me contact Dish directly.
Dish ended up sending a bunch of bozos, er, subcontractor that took four visits to find 129. Well, only three visits since I finished the install myself before the fourth guy finally showed up.

I started with a local dealer when I first got Dish 9 years ago. 3 years later I moved a few miles away and called Dish for the "Dish-Mover" deal and although I was still closer to my original dealer and they were still very much in business, Dish sent a different dealer from 10 miles further away.

Then a few years later, for the 7200 upgrade they sent an even different dealer; then a couple years ago when I moved up to HD, they sent another completly different dealer (this time from about 75 miles away). Original is STILL very much in business (and so are the other 2 ).

I'm not positive but I think Dish uses whoever is the most desperate at any given time.

My gut tells me they don't treat their loyal dealers any better than they treat their loyal customers.

digitaldogger said:

digitaldogger,

Welcome to Satelliteguys.us.

I just want to mention that it's very hard to read your posts when you start every word with a capital letter. Just a suggestion.

If you are doing an upgrade on receivers like 322 to 622 then it has to go through dish or the original retailer. A Dish upgrade or a (Dish move I think) can be done by any retailer. Again I am not sure on the Dish mover but I have done some dishupgrades with the company I use to be with we did do a couple of customers that were not with us first with superdish upgrads.

RandallA I Was Thinking The Same Thing. :D

Im a dealer and heres the situation. Generally speaking, if they really wanted to do your upgrade they could call Dish and have an exception made so they can get properly paid. However just like the dealer you spoke with, we have the same policy.

There is just no incentive for us to want to do an upgrade. First of all, I only make $60 on doing these types of upgrades. Out of the $60 I have to pay my installer to install it for you so I literally do not make anything.

In addition to that, I have to provide you with a receiver that cost a few hundred dollars. Its not so bad I have to give you the receiver since afterall Dish re-imburses us for the equipment, its the fact that if you don't pay your bill or cancel your account I get charged back for that equipment.

Why would I want to do an upgrade and not make any money and then have a potential chargeback for 180 days on your equipment if anything where to happen?

On a new customer, we make $400/$500 and its worth justifing the risk of being on chargeback for equipment for 180 days. If we are not making any money, why do I want to take on more liability on the equipment?

Seriously, the only upgrades we do are DISH Movers and thats only because if we don't do them and the customer disconnects it will cost us money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)