Do we PARTY?

kirkdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
So are we going to look like fools if we plan a superbowl party and invite friends and family over to watch the game in HD and it ends up that we have to cancel the party before the game because our Sat. provider pulls the plug!

Can't VOOM let us know something.....because not knowing sucks! :mad:

Like the Eagles, you should have a backup plan - but my guess is that it will be on.

I would say that you should continue with your SuperBowl party plans. :)

All signs are pointing to VOOM continuing for awhile. (which I think is good news)

Glad I spent the extra $100 for an HDTV instead of an HD monitor, I'm set either way for the party :cool: .

Rob.

How do you get the Super Bowl in HD, other than OTA (Fox local)???? Is it being shown on any other channels?

keno said:
How do you get the Super Bowl in HD, other than OTA (Fox local)???? Is it being shown on any other channels?

For HD OTA or cable is it...can't get it via VOOM, E*, or D* sat.

kirkdj said:
So are we going to look like fools if we plan a superbowl party and invite friends and family over to watch the game in HD and it ends up that we have to cancel the party before the game because our Sat. provider pulls the plug!

Can't VOOM let us know something.....because not knowing sucks! :mad:

I thought Voom has told us what to expect in so many words. Business as usual with Voom pursuing their programming expansion plans in March. I don't see any plugs being pulled yet.

Indy said:
Voom pursuing their programming expansion plans in March.

How can they???? You know that has to be bologna. No rainbow1. Use AMC6? does it have more capacity than rainbow 1? Has dolan bought Voom? IS he prepared to lose 75 mill a quarter? The odds of any of that happening are very small. And at this point an HDDVR is laughable IMO.

vurbano said:
How can they???? You know that has to be bologna. No rainbow1. Use AMC6? does it have more capacity than rainbow 1? Has dolan bought Voom? IS he prepared to lose 75 mill a quarter? The odds of any of that happening are very small. And at this point an HDDVR is laughable IMO.

I don't know Vurbano. I am just repeating the Voom CSR mantra. You seem to always have the answers here and AVS. Please enlighten us. What does your crystal ball say? Share with us your intimate wisdoms of Voom.

The infinite words of wisdom I heard (don't know who said them so I don't attribute them to Verbano) was that Voom was only funded through Jan 31st and they sold their satellite.

It is February 1st and my Voom receivers are still working.

My guess is that they would never pull the plug until the sale is approved by the Justice Dept. If they Justice Dept. said no and Voom had already stopped sending a signal then they would be in really deep doo-doo for killing all the subs they did have. After all, if the Echostar purchase is blocked, Dolan Sr. is still standing in line to pick up the service.

I cancelled my Super Bowl Party but it had nothing to do with Voom, IM GOING TO JACKSONVILLE WOOHOOO, FLY EAGLES FLY, just found out saturday my brother got me a ticket

Indy said:
I don't know Vurbano. I am just repeating the Voom CSR mantra. You seem to always have the answers here and AVS. Please enlighten us. What does your crystal ball say? Share with us your intimate wisdoms of Voom.
I thought only Ken at avs had the crystal ball:D

vurbano said:
How can they???? You know that has to be bologna. No rainbow1. Use AMC6? does it have more capacity than rainbow 1?

Echostar doesn't own Raibow 1 yet. Nothing has changed hands, it will be months (6-12) before the satellite is sold, if it is sold (sometimes things get denied like the D* & E* merger). While Rainbow still has Rainbow 1 they can do anything they want.

Yes AMC-6 has more capacity. Currently VOOM can use 13 TPs using 450MHz of space. AMC-6 has 24 TPs which can use 500MHz of space.

bryan27 said:
Yes AMC-6 has more capacity. Currently VOOM can use 13 TPs using 450MHz of space. AMC-6 has 24 TPs which can use 500MHz of space.
Rainbow DBS' lease of AMC-6 was staged ... starting with a few transponders and working up to all 24 in the 500MHz wide FSS band.

The 13 transponders on Rainbow1 DO NOT represent "450MHz" of space. The entire DBS bandwidth at 61.5 is 500MHz - E* has 11TPs, SA has 8TPs, V* has 11TPs, and the FCC retains 2TPs (loaned to V* at the moment).

16 Right Circular TPs overlap 16 Left Circular TPs, so in essence the 500MHz bandwidth can be broken in to 27MHz~ channels (864MHz "total") with V* having 351MHz with the STA TPs. On AMC-6 the transponders are wider - 12 Horizontal TPs overlap 12 Vertical TPs with the 500MHz broken in to 37MHz~ channels (888MHz "total"). *IF* RainbowDBS keeps AMC-6 and moves content there they will have more room than on Rainbow1. But it will be on a lower power satellite that requires a larger dish.

JL

Switch Satellites

I think the plan is to use Rainbow One till the sale is finalized , with the FCC giving the green lite. This could take up to six months. In the meantime Rainbow Two will be online, the other uplink centre ready, and they will update our dishes in time for lauch of MPEG 4 and RAinbow 2, something they would have to do anyhow. They get @$200 million in capital, which is doubled by the stock prices appreciation, they make a couple of hundred million there, cash it out get the capital to fund voom for a year more after which voom will be in the black. What a plot, unbelievable, and they haven't broken any promises. 70 channels, dvr, and a couple of hundred million in profit. This is better than robbing a bank. Fool all the pundits and everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)