Do you agree/Disagree how Dish Network Handle the Voom Massacre?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Do you agree how dish did not inform customers about taking down 10 voom channels?

• Yes

Votes: 139 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 392 73.8%

• Total voters

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I have been a Dish Sub for almos 10 years. In all my years with Dish, I have never watched a classless way of informing customers that channels were going off the air. Previously, there were always announcements that gave customers plenty of warning. The take down of voom took everyone by surprise and it show how low class Dish Network is as a company when dealing with paying customers.

If we were pirating their programing, I will see a point in the way that they dealth with the voom channels but we all pay our bills at the end of the month and today we were 10 HD channels less because Dish Network decided to take them down without given customers a warning. I find this very distasteful from a company that pride themselves in customer satisfaction.

In my opinion this was very unprofessional.

Hell no!!!

It is hard to take Charlie serious when he talks about what is wrong with Dish.
Almost to the day they butcher these channels and will soon take down the rest.

I voted that it was pretty crappy that they did not offer advance notice on the VOOM issue. I will argue, though, that it looks like it was something that was inevitable in the grand scheme of the business. We can all argue that more HD is better, but from what is coming out about VOOM it seems that it was a company that was floundering, with very little to offer itself or the carriers.

In the end this was a business decision. D* killed E* in subs last quarter, so obviously VOOM was doing nothing to aid E*'s subscriber base. The average TV watcher wants to see shows and networks that they know. The HD-landscape has changed and it no longer belongs to us "HD-geeks." The future of HD now belongs to the masses who don't care about bitrates, so long as they get to see CSI and other mass marketed shows.

In the end, though, E* should've ran a crawl for at least 30 days so people could have their final days with the VOOM channels. But, honestly, I think the writing has been on the wall for a long time for VOOM...and it seems that the people in charge there just didn't care.

I had the same reaction, but I contacted someone at Dish and they replied that the method, manner and timing of it was entirely due to the ongoing litigation with Voom.

I think this means that they might have preferred to give us notice, but that would have given Voom time to find some judge who would temporarily stop it.

When the Tech Chat went on the air last night, they KNEW THEN that the takedown was going to happen.

They should have said something.

Whether you like Voom or not the way E* handles this is wrong.

Especially how they touted the 22 HD additions yesterday.

I think it was wrong for them to take the channels down without saying anything. Like Scott said they KNEW the channels were going to be taken down during the tech chat.

No one here knows what the Dish Legal Dept told them what was allowable to release.

Guys, this is a business, not a bunch of your friends playing with satallites and television programming as to make people smile.

If it was, they would deliver free Ice Cream cones to us every day too.

Grow up, realize, there is most likely more at play then what you see. The court papers Scott showed us a few weeks ago pretty much prove that.

I would, however, like to see them drop the Ultimate price down to an additional $5 a month.

That would make it more then a value to add.

Even if the litigation is not in the play, DISH still needs the additional bandwidth to add new HDs that can really serve to stop the current bleeding. A few VOOMers will not change that, you guys did not help to stop the bleeding in the last two quarters, and will not have much impact in the future either, DISH has more pressing issues to deal with. It happened once it can happen again, VOOM as a DBS servcie is doomed.

One thing though, I never imagined DBS VOOM's demise will come a full circle so soon.

No one here knows what the Dish Legal Dept told them what was allowable to release.

Guys, this is a business, not a bunch of your friends playing with satallites and television programming as to make people smile.

I disagree.
A successful business will do everything they can to make people smile especially if those people are paying customers.

Also there may be a legal reason that they couldn't say the channels were being moved ahead of time but I doubt it because Charlie announced today the rest of the channels would be gone soon.

I disagree.
A successful business will do everything they can to make people smile especially if those people are paying customers.

Also there may be a legal reason that they couldn't say the channels were being moved ahead of time but I doubt it because Charlie announced today the rest of the channels would be gone soon.

They can not make you smile if they don't have anything to smile about themselves. Just look at their last two quarterly numbers, if DISH is to survive, them must do what DirecTV is doing.

VOOM has not been a selling point and has been a drag. VOOM must go in order for DISH to reach that 100 HD goal in order to survive. DISH has no luxury to make you guys smile while trying to turn things around at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)