• Fifth Wheel

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Class A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Class B

• Class C

• Some other method (school bus conversion, etc, -pls explain)

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Over the years, I've moved from tent camping up the chain to my current fifth wheel. I was wondering how popular this pastime is with SatGuys.

Which method below do you currently use, or currently predominately use?

- don't camp. Hotel.
- don't camp. Never leave home.
- tent camper
- pop up trailer- tent & Hi-Lo style
- travel trailer
- fifth wheel
- class A
- class B
- class C
- some other method (school bus conversion, etc, -pls explain)

Started out tent camping, went to cab over camper, then got one too heavy for my Truck so put on a Trailer (I go on a ranch a friend runs in the Lincoln Nat. Forest) I only have to go 3 miles on a fairly heavily traveled Highway then on County and State Roads and go about 60 miles... takes an hour and a half and last 10 is on dirt road, last mile the where I usually camp is 2 rut road...(heavy duty springs on trailers, 6 ply oversized tires and springs on top of axles for clearance have 2 rigs now)

Mostly tent, but I bought a 33' travel trailer this past spring. This summer it was pretty half and half between the two.

Tent camping for years including the dead of winter in northern michigan as a kid. I had been considering a pop up as my back has begun to complain but gas prices for anything like a camper are seriously going to work against it.

For a few years early in my marriage, we'd sleep in a Grand Caravan when camping. Seats folded down into a nice bed. Then we got a tent that attached to the back. Kids slept in the tent, us in the GC. Not bad in the fall, next to the potty. Then rented a trailer.

Went to a RV dealer to buy trailer mirrors for use with our next rental. Saw a new 30' Coachmen there for $13,000. Prior year's model, bought out from a bankrupt dealer. We were budgeting $12,000 to buy a used one "some day." Couldn't believe the price. A lesser model next to it was thousands more. Dealer was mum about the pricing. We decided right there to buy it. After the papers were all signed, the dealer explained: One of his employees put the wrong price on it. He honored it, but if we had walked off the lot he'd have put the correct price on it. Got 11 years of use out of that.

Traded it in on the fiver. Didn't plan to move up, but the guy at an RV show offered us a great deal- and THEN offered more money than we expected on our trailer, sight unseen. Couldn't pass it up. Bought a hitch for the truck, waited on the trailer, towed it to the campground where we own a lot, and parked it. Haven't moved it since. Die$el fuel has just simply gotten too high. At least we can use it in place.

Haven't been since this spring... longest stretch of not going in many years... Wreck, fire restrictions and sore back... I have pulled 1 genset out and was getting the other one out to fire up when UPS Showed up about 20 minutes ago...

Here is my normal set up for evenings...Big camper... small camper has smaller screen...;)

Attachments

• x1 camping.JPG
    x1 camping.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 166
Roughing it is so tiresome, eh? ;)

The 5ver came with an Insignia LCD, 24" I think, a real POS. They mounted it on a bracket that let's you pull it out and swivel it left and right. And for people standing, you can watch dead on, and the picture isn't bad. But once you sit, the angle is so low it darkens the picture, esp with any blacks. They get that flat grey shiny blotchy look. Can't figure a way to modify it or fabricate something to let it tilt down a bit. I'd hate to spend the money to replace it with something better with wider viewing angles. So close.

We tent camped for 15 years while the kids were growing up. We carried 25 gallons of water which we used only for cooking, drinking, and dish washing (no bathing---we roughed it). So we never had to worry whether or not the campground had water. Great times!!!

Now we have an empty nest and we're getting up in years. From now on it's motels/hotels for us.:(

cabin....oh wait...its a 6 bedroom 3600 square foot house

old cabin was a 2 1/2 season (mem day to labor day give or take a couple weeks) simple setup until it burned down. My dad decided to "upgrade" :D

No camping for me. Give me a hot shower, A/C, and a real bed! Hotels for me.

I find it more comfortable to sleep in my own bed, with my own "stuff" in my trailer. I certainly have hot showers & a/c. And no bed bugs.

I love the heat. I can watch it from the air conditioning all day.

I find it more comfortable to sleep in my own bed, with my own "stuff" in my trailer. I certainly have hot showers & a/c. And no bed bugs.

I love the heat. I can watch it from the air conditioning all day.

I can't justify the expense, well actually it would be hard to tow it behind my Road King!:D

I helped my parents run a camp ever since I was a toddler, (when I could speak properly, they let me handle incoming phone calls at first), then it was basic household job related stuff, (dusting and running a vaccum during pre-school and early grade school years, plus working as a "parking organizer", cleaning out tents of bugs and dust, and cleaning latrines, A.K.A. outdoor toilets).

Now, pretty well here in the hills nowadays, you don't see "outhouses", but you will see "portable toilets", "porta potties" or "honey wagons", mostly at construction sites.

Ever wonder why there are "No Smoking" signs posted on them?

No, it's not that they want it to "smell like a smokestack" or the chemicals used to clean it... methane gas

Yes, our "poop" produce amounts of methane gas and in a enclosed space, (even with the door open), it can build up and if you "light one up" in one of them, you're just asking for a trip to the ER.

I have heard of stories over the years of people ignoring the "No Smoking" signs and later ending up in the hospital.

So, think before you go to an outdoor toilet next time to "sit in peace" & "light one up".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)