Do you like or dislike the 811?

WeeJavaDude said:
So you are saying that someone is creating individual accounts for the sole purpose of stuffing this innaccurate poll? People need to get a life. :shocked I am not talking about you just to be clear.

I didn't say anyone did it, only that it can be done. The site administrater could find out if it has been done or not. It has happened on another board I frequent, and the guilty party was found out and banned from the site. I just find it odd that within a very short time there were many votes only going one way. Everytime I would refresh this poll there was another vote for "I like the 811" within a 30 minute time frame. About 10 votes in 30 minutes, all the same.

It’s hard to vote positively for a piece of equipment that fails to perform so many of the tasks that it is designed for.

The picture quality on the 811 sucks, hands down all connections. My 510 side by side is better picture quality. My cable Motorola 5100 has a better picture and my cable sd is really bad.

The 811 has some real screwy signal strengths happening for all inputs. The OTA is all over the board, and even the dish signal is 20% lower than my 510. Ok maybe that is just a meter calibration difference, but the OTA signal problem makes me wonder. Is that why the picture quality on the 811 is so bad?

I have been told with confidence by Dish that these problems will be corrected in P266. The quote from the tech, who I might add seemed pretty knowledgeable on the subject, was "this thing is going to be awesome when we get it running". Ok, I need work on my patience skills, I will give them a patch or two.

My 811 was free, if it’s not corrected in the next month or two it will be returned for a second 510.

Steve J

I think the poll may be a little off too. I love/like is gaining way too fast.

Sure are a lot people that like it. Maybe I should call dish and have mine replaced because it dosen't work right. Problem is they want me to wait for the software to fix it because dish is saying they all have issues right now and a replacement won't be any better. But if that many people are watching it, it must be ok, and mine is one of the minority that are bad. I really can't stand the dark pic mine has.

Stjtoday said:
It’s hard to vote positively for a piece of equipment that fails to perform so many of the tasks that it is designed for.

Stjtoday said:
The picture quality on the 811 sucks, hands down all connections. My 510 side by side is better picture quality. My cable Motorola 5100 has a better picture and my cable sd is really bad.
Have to disagree. My experience is that it does not suck on all connections.. Yes it does suck on composite and svideo. I will grant that, but on my DVI it is not in the sucked catagory. Compared to the 6000 it is better with some material and worse with others. Mostly dark source material. Yes it needs improvement, but suck I would say not. (My opinion)

Stjtoday said:
The 811 has some real screwy signal strengths happening for all inputs. The OTA is all over the board, and even the dish signal is 20% lower than my 510. Ok maybe that is just a meter calibration difference, but the OTA signal problem makes me wonder. Is that why the picture quality on the 811 is so bad?
Hmmm I will have to check my dish signals. Never looked at that, but with my install the OTA has been rock solid and the Dish has been solid also. People have reported mixed results here but with the last release most people have thought OTA locking had improved.

Stjtoday said:
I have been told with confidence by Dish that these problems will be corrected in P266. The quote from the tech, who I might add seemed pretty knowledgeable on the subject, was "this thing is going to be awesome when we get it running". Ok, I need work on my patience skills, I will give them a patch or two.
This is definitely a work in progress. We all have our patience level and with Dish you need it.

Stjtoday said:
My 811 was free, if it’s not corrected in the next month or two it will be returned for a second 510.
Hmm interesting. I would not give up HD for an 510. ;) Time will tell and hopefully they will get the 811 rocking.. Once they do, threads will be silent and we can move on bitching about HD content and lack of.

I love mine for PQ through the component outs wether HD or SD. I hate it for the guide, the signal acquistion and the SD picture from standard outs. Since we have no gray area here I say I like it.. despite the problems it should not have.

I am still waiting for the dark picture fix. Until then, my 811 sits atop my stereo cabinet gathering dust. I am using my 6000 instead for my viewing. The 811 was purchased to replace my 6000, but it is currently an inferior product. If the 811 is not fixed by mid-June (as in, delay of software upgrades), then I will discontinue it's service and either sell it or use it as a shotgun target.
Time will tell if this receiver is worth it or not.

Unfortunately, yes. But since I've only had it since April, it hasn't been too painful yet. I figured I would spend $20 total on the extra reciever charge in hopes the software will be updated to make it useable. After June, I will remove either the 6000 or the 811 from my account.
I like your signature - I would have given up my wife's cats to get my hands on a 522.
Then again, I would give those rodents away for free if she wasn't looking...

why don't you deactivate the 811 while you aren't using it, thus saving you 4.99/m? then reactivate it when your software update is on the way? Or better yet switch to DirecTV or Voom with more reliable HD receivers, as documented in one of my most recent polls. thanks for the your comments on the signature. I try to find the best quotes I can to use on it.

mini1 said:
why don't you deactivate the 811 while you aren't using it, thus saving you 4.99/m? then reactivate it when your software update is on the way? Or better yet switch to DirecTV or Voom with more reliable HD receivers, as documented in one of my most recent polls. thanks for the your comments on the signature. I try to find the best quotes I can to use on it.

Mini... Starting to think you are a disgruntled Dish customer that has an axe against Dish.. This last statment makes me wonder. Combine this with the attitude you have taken in the poll just adds to the evidence of a possible agenda. If you were screaming about the 721, I would start to think you were someone else. ;)

If you don't like your 811 jump to DirecTV and switch it is your choice and you have your right to your opinion, but it is obvious that you have an agenda and that greatly weakens your opinion.

Before you jump back with I am a Dish lover, Read my posts.. I give both negative and positive feedback on Dish and I usually just try and give a software development perspective to some of the issue they face. This may seem like defending dish, but I am usually trying to give a reality based point of view based on my experience developed over years of software development experience.

GaryPen said:
I think mini1 might have already made the switch, or is planning to as soon as his contract is up.

Ohh.. got it.. :yes

I will be intersted on your take of the new software Gary. I am surprised it is so soon.

Hopefully Dark Video is improved. I plan on starting a thread to capture what defects are still left.

I have no agenda here. I am simply posting my experice and what I read on this forum, in this thread and all over the internet everyday. I am trying to take a count of how many people like or dislike this unit. the numbers seem to speak for themsleves, as I said before- if you have over 36% of owners disliking or hating your product, you have a big problem with it. don't you? weejavadude-you seem to have an agenda, it is to promote anything Dish has made, you even point it out. And lastly-I do not work for any satellite TV company and never have, so i'm not pulling in D*'s or V*'s direction for that reason.

mini1 said:
I have no agenda here. I am simply posting my experice and what I read on this forum, in this thread and all over the internet everyday. I am trying to take a count of how many people like or dislike this unit. the numbers seem to speak for themsleves, as I said before- if you have over 36% of owners disliking or hating your product, you have a big problem with it. don't you? weejavadude-you seem to have an agenda, it is to promote anything Dish has made, you even point it out. And lastly-I do not work for any satellite TV company and never have, so i'm not pulling in D*'s or V*'s direction for that reason.

Would you like to point out where I have an agenda? Where do I promote anything dish has made? I think I missed that thread? WeeJavaDude thinks all Dish products Rock!! ;)

Also I never stated that you worked for a Satellite company. I was pointing out the fact that you seem to be shapping this poll a certain way. I still feel that way.

As far as forum polls go in terms of value, this one has very minimal value and in my guess if far from accurate. Even as far as these polls go. It is way to polar. With that said when the poll started to get some positive votes in a short time it was questioned and actually opinion of ballet stuffing was put forth. LOL I am not the only one that has stated the opinion that a hot or cold question poll has little value without opinions why hot or cold. Reading further into a poll that has not scientific basis to support your opinions is faulty at best. This is one data point and a poor one at best.

So did you recently jump from Dish to DirecTV bacause you hate the 811?

"So did you recently jump from Dish to DirecTV bacause you hate the 811?" -the answer is no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts