Do you miss the "old days" of the NFL?

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
I didnt know how to word this but I was watching Giants/Eagles, I think, and I was thinking, dont you miss the old days of the NFL. Now it may be different for people on the board because you live in different areas but remember how it used to be?

Here in the northeast I remember Redskins/Cowboys, RFK Stadium, Pat Summerall and John Madden. Or if it was Giants/Eagles before the LINC, it was Veterans Stadium with those patch jobs on the field. I mean dont miss understand me, the NFL is huge right now. There are a lot and I mean a lot of people who watch the NFL on Sunday, Monday, during the playoffs etc. But do you ever think about how it used to be? Remember The NFL Today with Brent, Irv, Phyllis and Jimmy the Greek? Remember NBC and there coverage before losing the AFC package to CBS? Or even the NBC theme music that used to intro the games?

I was just thinking about that. You know its something that I have said on this board about how the NFL should embrace there past with NFL Network etc. I wonder if they will ever get the message.

Or Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshire (before Madden) ... I still have a few games from that era on VHS... Cowboys vs Redskins with Roger Staubach & Sonny Jurgenson & Cowboys vs Steelers Super Bowl 13. Way different game and approach to the game.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing as I watched the Chargers game yesterday. Was thinking how the game would of been called back in the late 70s/early 80's. I also miss Brent/Irv/Jimmy/Phylis.

yes it has become the no fun league with calling penalties for celebrating which is crap :)

The Cowboys will never have the same type of memerable games thanks to Cowboys Stadium. There will never be another game like the 1993 game between Dallas and Miami.

Also, there wouldnt be all the graphics etc. that you see now, although the 1st and 10 line is a good thing.

I remember if fondly, but I don't miss it. I bet if they went back to televising the old way, with the old technology, sets, etc., you would want "today" back pretty fast. ;)

You know whats the saddest thing of all. Ive been on this board since April of 2008. Over the past 3 and 1/2 years, I have talked sometimes about the fact the old days of sports, how NFL Network and ESPN Classic doesnt cater to the older fans and the older days etc. The sad thing is that Im sure some of the fans that watch sports, and I'll focus on the NFL because of this thread, dont know about the old days. They probably dont know who Jimmy the Greek is. Or about the Holy Roller game. Or the Epic in Miami. Or who Tom Brookshire is. Thats very sad.

Looking at tapes that are marked I have:
Cowboys vs Eagles Playoff game 1-10-93
Cowboys vs Redskins 85 season opener
Redskins vs 49ers NFC Championship game Year??(also has Leonard vs Hearns)
Cowboys vs Rams year ??? but you can bet it was the LA Rams ;)
Cowboys vs Redskins 86
Cowboys vs Redskins (Staubach come from behind game)
Super Bowl 13

You know whats the saddest thing of all. Ive been on this board since April of 2008. Over the past 3 and 1/2 years, I have talked sometimes about the fact the old days of sports, how NFL Network and ESPN Classic doesnt cater to the older fans and the older days etc. The sad thing is that Im sure some of the fans that watch sports, and I'll focus on the NFL because of this thread, dont know about the old days. They probably dont know who Jimmy the Greek is. Or about the Holy Roller game. Or the Epic in Miami. Or who Tom Brookshire is. Thats very sad.
Mets, nobody likes to wax nostalgic more than me! :)

Hell, in some cases I can remember things from the 70's (Red Sox rosters, TV shows, etc.) more than I can from five years ago. :eek:

But IMO, McCoy hit it out of the park with his response. I admit some of the technology may be too "invasive", but you can't deny that overall we are much better off today with all the technology we have. One thing I will admit: the NFL pregame shows of today, don't hold a candle to those 25-30 years ago! ;)

Hell, in some cases I can remember things from the 70's (Red Sox rosters, TV shows, etc.) more than I can from five years ago. :eek:

Hell, I still remember the Tigers starting lineup by heart...Cash 1B, McAuliffe 2B, Brinkman SS, Rodriguez 3B, Horton LF, Stanley CF, Kaline RF, Freehan C and Lolich P. If you give me a minute I can probably recall the batting lineup too.

Hell, I still remember the Tigers starting lineup by heart...Cash 1B, McAuliffe 2B, Brinkman SS, Rodriguez 3B, Horton LF, Stanley CF, Kaline RF, Freehan C and Lolich P. If you give me a minute I can probably recall the batting lineup too.

First game I ever saw in person at Fenway was Tigers-Red Sox in 1974, and Joe Coleman was the starting pitcher for the Tigers.

Another time the Sox were playing the Tigers (1977?) and John Wockenfuss was the Tigers catcher that night (I think Bruce Kimm was their regular catcher then),and for years after that I tried to emulate Wockenfuss' funky batting stance. :)

Does anybody remember the Miami Dolphins game in the 80's where they had no announcers,they just used the stadium announcer & stadium noise? Again,& I said it before,I remember when they had kick-offs at the 40 yard line & the goal posts where at the front of the endzone(like the CFL) instead of the end of the end zone. I also remember when both offensive & defensive linemen wore protective padding on their arms like elbow & forearm padding. I also remember when winning football teams ran more than passed. In fact,the QB's with the highest passing ratings back then were on losing teams with bad offensive lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)