Do you receive Distant Network Signals from Dish?

Do you receive DNS stations from Dish?

• I receive all DNS stations from Dish

Votes: 67 26.7%
  • I receive some of the DNS stations from Dish

Votes: 85 33.9%
  • I sub to Dish but receive no DNS stations

Votes: 99 39.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It may well be true that readers of the on-line forums would be much more knowledgable about DNS and how to get it. So over the years many may have used information and tricks to land a few (or many) DNS stations. That seems a plausible explanation.

Regardless of the percentages, the fact that 130 members have already indicated that they receive all or some DNS guarantees that this is topic which which will generate a lots of activity until it is resolved.

Talon Dancer

We need a new choice up there now. As I posted in another thread, I didn't want to take a chance on loosing my distant (only) networks all of a sudden with some of the new Fall shows starting, so I added my locals back on Sunday (I had been forced to choose last year). So far they haven't removed my analog dns nor my CBS-HD.

I really hope the 2 senators from Co are able to get a congressional investigation into this whole dns issue. Maybe if it all gets out in the open, some changes can be made that are more appropriate to the way things are today.

While I still respect some of the concepts of local affiliates, the system desperately needs to be brought into the 21st century and that may mean some adjustments on their part that they've been (with the power of the NAB) able to resist for far too long.

I didn't really care if people were getting both DNS and locals, I just wanted to know how many people on this board were getting DNS period.

And the message has been delivered loud and clear, this board is populated with a highly disportionate number of DNS subs. Thus this issue is going to be front and center as a topic.

This forum might also overestimate the total impact on E*'s subscriber base if they are forced to discontinue or significantly limit DNS distribution. That is, if something bad happens to E* DNS, you might read accounts of 50 forum members dropping E* and imply that they are losing huge numbers nationwide. When in fact, that probably wouldn't be true.

Here (Jonesboro, AR DMA) , we can get ABC & PBS off air and most times everyone is eligible for NBC, CBS, & FOX from distant cities. There are a few areas which must get waivers. These are sometimes denied, but a call to the station usually results in a waiver.

I get both Local and DNS. I used to get DNS in the old days (sub since 1997) by just asking. Later on, they shut it down.... Then I got into the RV lifestyle and applied for and received the DNS via the RV waiver since we only have a DISH 300 for the RV and trees make having anything more complex very difficult....

By default, we are supposed to re-qualify every 2 years.

I expect if you had more RV and Commercial Truck drivers on here, the proportion of responses would be even higher for those having DNS.

I'm sure we have a lot of RV and Commercial truck drivers on the board!

I'm guess that ... oh ... say ... about 60% of the board own at least one of these.

(wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

We receive L.A. locals thru *E (would not be able to receive without a huge roof antenna), distants from N.Y. When we got distants years back, I think local ABC and Fox gave blanket waivers to anyone. Fox I could understand at the time--they could use all the viewers they could get from wherever--but not sure why ABC. Dish said they tried to get us waivers for the other two but were denied. So, I called the other two myself and one (not sure which one but I think it was CBS) granted us a waiver on the first call but the other one (NBC?) took several calls before they granted a waiver. I am actually not sure which two granted the blanket waivers even but I'm pretty sure Fox was one of them. I do know for sure we qualified for two networks automatically and two I had to call to get waivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)