Do you receive Distant Network Signals from Dish?

Do you receive DNS stations from Dish?

• I receive all DNS stations from Dish

Votes: 67 26.7%
  • I receive some of the DNS stations from Dish

Votes: 85 33.9%
  • I sub to Dish but receive no DNS stations

Votes: 99 39.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Just a quick poll to see how many SatGuy subs would be affected by a change in Dish's ability to carry the Distant Network Signals (DNS).

Distant Network Signals (or station) are the network feeds from New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta and/or Denver and if you receive these when you do not live in those local markets, then you are receiving them as DNS.

Please indicate if you receive all of the DNS stations, or if you receive some of the channels/networks as DNS stations.

If you receive these stations as your local stations, then please do not indicate that you get them as DNS stations. Please mark the box for Not Receiving DNS channels.

If you do not sub to Dish, please do not respond to this poll.

Last edited:
Tom Bombadil said:
I was going by this document:

http://carmelgroup.com/publications...tv_homes_at_risk_from_legal_and_political_mo/

Which indicates that DNS consisted of NYC and LA stations.

I think that D only has NYC or LA for DNS. The mention of LA and NY on that link seems to be from the [Inset: “Letter From DirecTV To Consumers Describing the DNS Process”] portion.

Others here will let me know if I'm mistaken :)

I have 1 NY, 1 Atl and 2 Chicago, so if they count I have all DNS from E.

Skip

I guess the best way to interpret it is:

If you receive ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX from cities outside of your local coverage area, then you get all of them via DNS.

And if you get from 1-3 of these from "distant" cities, then you have partial DNS.

I switched to E* from cable back in 98, I was working graveyard shift & my cable co (ATT at the time) was upgrading & the cable was out 3 times/week from 8am to 4pm when I was trying to watch tv.

after 2 months I had enough & switched to sat., qualified for distants & never looked back.

If I ever loose my distants back to cable I go, way cheaper w/the cable internet, and I can put my replaytvs back online w/Poopli (plus the replay has commercial advance & I can network them)

But I love my distants because right now I get up at 3am for work & go to bed at 8pm so without my distants I am a day behind on shows

I am on the west coast, receive all NY distants, and some channels from Denver, Chicago, LA & Portland which works out to more TV than I can watch.

Right now dish is getting $137/mo. from me which is $1645/yr, I'm guessing that they do not want to lose a lot of customers like me.

Tom Bombadil said:
I guess the best way to interpret it is:

If you receive ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX from cities outside of your local coverage area, then you get all of them via DNS.

And if you get from 1-3 of these from "distant" cities, then you have partial DNS.

you may not want to say it that way as there are people who "moved" to get a neighboring DMA (like me) :)

I have partial DNS available via a waiver I got some years ago for NBC (the others denied) but currently not active. I had it active two summers ago when Ivan took down the local NBC's tower.

:) i enjoy all four networks from all four dns and locals plus super stations and pbs!! Congratulations, this address is eligible for the Local Networks Package in your area.
High-Definition local channels are available in your area! In order to get your HD local channels you will need a ViP211TM or ViP622TM DVR receiver. Additional equipment and costs may apply.

Please note: If you do not select a ViP receiver, you will still receive your standard definition local channels.

San Diego, CA DISH Local Networks Package

View the complete list of channels in this package.

SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS:

A different and/or additional dish antenna may be required to receive your Local Network Package. Learn more.

A High Definition receiver is required to view your HD local signal. Determine if you have an HD receiver.

Distant Network Package

Congratulations, this address is eligible for up to 2 of the following Distant Network Package(s).
Your current distant network selections are checked below. To change your selections please contact us .

$5.99/mo.

New York, NY Distant Network Package
Chicago, IL Distant Network Package
Denver, CO Distant Network Package
Los Angeles, CA Distant Network Package

Distant Network A La Carte

Congratulations, this address is eligible for the following Distant Networks A La Carte.
To add this programming to your purchase, select below. You may only choose a total of two A La Carte Network channels in each Network (ie. no more than two NBC, two ABC, two CBS, two FOX).

$1.50/ea.

New York, NY ABC CBS NBC FOX
Chicago, IL ABC CBS NBC FOX
Denver, CO ABC CBS NBC FOX
Los Angeles, CA ABC CBS NBC FOX

Superstation Package
Congratulations, this address is eligible for Superstations. To add this to your purchase, select below.
KWGN Denver
KTLA Los Angeles
WPIX New York
WSBK Boston
WWOR New York $5.99/mo.

National PBS
Congratulations, this address is eligible for the National PBS Station.

I receive all Philly channels as my "locals".
Also receive distants from LA, and Denver, plus all Superstations, and CBS HD.

I also receive all Baltimore and most DC channels OTA in HD.

My Feed is from NY
ABC
CBS
NBC
FOX
Plus CBS HD,Now we do have a "local" market? offerings a differed feed,so we will see if here in Puerto Rico they are going away too(My guest is you can take it to the bank)But i don t lose my faith that something could working out re garless the endless discussion about this topic.:rolleyes:

I get all my local channels in HD by Moving to the nearest dma. Even when I get my locals uplinked I will stay moved for the hd channels.

I cannot get locals, I have applied for all of the distant networks. DENIED.
I have cable internet so I split it. One line goes to the receiver the other to the modem. It's not the ideal situation but it allows me to get local channels for weather and local news.(I don't really care for the networks anyway, screw em. :p)

I can get all networks except CBS(which I got a waiver for). I have checked Direct and can get the same from them. As much as this really pi**es me off, I'll have no choice but to go to Direct if my networks get blacked out.

technoguy said:
My Feed is from NY
ABC
CBS
NBC
FOX
Plus CBS HD,Now we do have a "local" market? offerings a differed feed,so we will see if here in Puerto Rico they are going away too(My guest is you can take it to the bank)But i don t lose my faith that something could working out re garless the endless discussion about this topic.:rolleyes:

Hi Techno:

Well I have been a dish network customer for about seven years already. I have since day one New York and Los Angeles Networks and now well the Puerto Rico Local channels such as: WPRU ABC, WVGN NBC, WVXF CBS and WSJX FOX. Curios today I was checking my account and look what I found:
Local Package
Congratulations, this address is eligible for the Local Networks Package in your area.

Puerto Rico DISH Local Networks Package

View the complete list of channels in this package.

SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS:

A different and/or additional dish antenna may be required to receive your Local Network Package. Learn more.

A High Definition receiver is required to view your HD local signal. Determine if you have an HD receiver.

Distant Networks
Click here to request a waiver for Distant Networks.
if you have previously requested a waiver, you can check the status here.

Superstation Package
Congratulations, this address is eligible for Superstations. To add this to your purchase, select below.
KWGN Denver
KTLA Los Angeles
WPIX New York
WSBK Boston
WWOR New York $5.99/mo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)