do you think a new satellite company will ever start up?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The space wouldn't be DBS space and Echostar Satellite Services would be leasing the space, not DISH Network, their sister company.

ESS has a lot of Ku-band capacity for lease since DISH decided to stick with DBS frequencies instead of a hybrid of DBS and Ku. Echo9 is wide open and AMC-15 is, too. I"m sure a good rate could be negotiated depending on how much capacity you are willing to use - if you can book 10 transponders, that is 10 less transponders ESS has to hope to rent out to make their payments to SES Americom for.

With 10 tr's and H264/S2, you can have about 80-100 great looking HD channels to offer.

Ok, so in that case you need a larger Starchoice style dish that is bigger than even the Dish 1000 or DirecTV Slimline, so that throws out all apartment customers and some HOA customers. Plus, DirecTV and Dish already have more HD channels + the SD channels. We've already seen what happens when you try an HD only service.

And in terms of renting space from Echostar--Charlie Ergen is CEO of both companies. He may not give you worse terms than Dish; that would be unethical. But, you can be more than assured he won't give you BETTER terms than Dish, and Dish has millions of subscribers to spread that cost out over. Satellite capacity is a fixed cost that does not increase with the number of subscribers.

Check the Dish forum here. Moments after Dish turns on new "HD" channels there are complaints about the channels that are still not "HD" yet. The more "HD" that is squeezed in the happier people seem to be. Even here on the forum with the nerds. :)

My point exactly 8)

I am in total awe that they even considerd the DSR410 venture. Somebody must have something really good on the exec that made that call.

I think it had a lot to do with the 410's view HITS and that's run by Comcast. I don't think Comcast has a hate mentality towards TVRO they like the extra revenue. SRL also has a very good working relationship with Comcast HITS. (Programming Center) SRL also sells Cable in Wisconsin that probably helps. NPS never had the edge in a relationship with HITS. SRL offers more w5 channels than NPS.

Motorola refuses a new receiver because no one wants to come up with the tall dollars needed that Motorola demands since they have the DC technology locked up. It's too bad that Motorola got there hands on it from GI. GI was quite TVRO friendly. I think if GI still ran the show there would have been at least a new reciver built or possibly two by now. The Bud would have a lot more sub's too since access to more channels and the best HD quality would be the Bud. The pizza & cable companies and now OTA is following suit has butchered the quality of HD so much that the Bud with first generation HD could make a strong comeback for those wanting the quality. There is a potential goldmine out there and they can't see it.

I think it had a lot to do with the 410's view HITS and that's run by Comcast. I don't think Comcast has a hate mentality towards TVRO they like the extra revenue. SRL also has a very good working relationship with Comcast HITS. (Programming Center) SRL also sells Cable in Wisconsin that probably helps. NPS never had the edge in a relationship with HITS. SRL offers more w5 channels than NPS.

Motorola refuses a new receiver because no one wants to come up with the tall dollars needed that Motorola demands since they have the DC technology locked up. It's too bad that Motorola got there hands on it from GI. GI was quite TVRO friendly. I think if GI still ran the show there would have been at least a new reciver built or possibly two by now. The Bud would have a lot more sub's too since access to more channels and the best HD quality would be the Bud. The pizza & cable companies and now OTA is following suit has butchered the quality of HD so much that the Bud with first generation HD could make a strong comeback for those wanting the quality. There is a potential goldmine out there and they can't see it.
That makes sense. Comcast has enough DCII in service clout to 'request' that M support their DTH venture, with an implied 'or else' attached. You can bet it wasn't out of the goodness of M's heart.
I also agree that IF we were still dealing with GI the 4D DSR's would be at least one to two gens further than they are depending on popularity. The main thing that would need addressing, beyond tech upgrades is the ridiculous price tag.
To come full circle and back on topic, I could see Comcast as a viable nextgen SSP. It would still be a nitch market, more or less, but a market none the less. Do any of the latest gen Starchoice IRDs do HD? I am presuming it [a protential new SSP] would need to be patterned along the Starchoice/HITS to Home model, staying DCII compatable, since PowerVu is off the table.
Besides being to the consumer benifit, ie competition, it would give Comcast a shot at the market shares the pizza pan guys squabble over now. With the right offerings, and a new attitude towards TVRO patrons, a new player might take ol' Charlie and 'Dave' down a notch or two. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.
PowerVu based would be ideal since they are native DVB standard compliant, but not much we can hope fore there.

Found out today that Disney/ABC have entered into a joint venture with Hulu, and learned recently that Charter is tied up with bankruptcy (according to a DirecTV ad I got in the mail). Where it all leads ought to be interesting...

The golden age of television may actually be a little bit further off into the future,,,

So you want to start your own satellite eletronics company.

I have been thinking of starting up my own satellite receiver company.

It would be powered bt the members of satellite guys, you could vote on what it would look like, what features it would have, etc.

I know I would need to have people design it, but where does it involve someone manufacturing it?

merged yet another thread together

again...please try and keep the same things in the same thread. Makes it easier to follow

Figure a few million needed for R&D before it ever gets to production.

then where did all these little ma and pa fta receivers get all the money?
ariza
nuesat
orasat

to name a few

I think it would be cool to have a receiver that has satelliteguys ideas and thoughts put into it.

Maybe someone on here can pull some strings

then where did all these little ma and pa fta receivers get all the money?
ariza
nuesat
orasat

to name a few

I think it would be cool to have a receiver that has satelliteguys ideas and thoughts put into it.

Maybe someone on here can pull some strings
Why stop there? Go for the logo as well. Scott might even license it to you, for a nominal fee of course......lol
FTA of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. ......cant get more red,white 'n' blue, mom, baseball and apple pie than that!

Go ahead and build your own receiver with a small form factor PC, a DVB card, and a Linux distribution -- it's the cool thing to do these days. But you'll have to get someone to design you a cheap card with a decent blind scan...

Go ahead and build your own receiver with a small form factor PC, a DVB card, and a Linux distribution -- it's the cool thing to do these days. But you'll have to get someone to design you a cheap card with a decent blind scan...

A fast, hardware blindscan PCI/PCIe DVB-S/DVB-S2 card is really the crux of it. If such a thing was available mainstream with a fair price and quality driver support on Windows/Mac/Linux it would solve a ton of receiver issues. Dedicated boxes could be easily built with something like the NVidia ION platform and a blindscan card.

I think working with card manufacturer to get a more FTA friendly board on the market would be a better use of resources than trying to build a full standalone receiver. At least in the short term. Obviously all features can't be builtin, but fast hardware blindscan is a major missing feature right now with PC DVB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts