Do you think any of the Major Sports are in trouble?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
Based on the title what do you think? Do you think any, some or all of the major sports in trouble? What I mean is here is an example. Look at the NBA. Now everybody watched the NBA in the 80s with Bird and Magic and then in the 90s with Jordan. But now, do you think the NBA is in a good place as far as attendance, ratings etc.
Do you think the NHL is in a bad position as far as popularity, attendance etc.? What do you think?

I believe the NBA championship had their best ratings ever, last year. This year it will be down due to the teams playing.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

DodgerKing said:
I believe the NBA championship had their best ratings ever, last year. This year it will be down due to the teams playing.

On the contrary... Read the article on ESPN by Michael Wilbon. All ratings are up due to interest and hatred of the Miami Heat and Lebron James.

Mets82 . . . thanks for posing the question.

I have been thinking about this for several weeks now because Keith Hernandez during a Mets broadcast was asked about the future of baseball and he had a grim outlook. To paraphrase, he said baseball is a team sport and takes a lot of discipline and practice. There is not a lot of individual glory and being in the spotlight as there is in other sports such as College Football.

Again this is just paraphrasing, but I think he is right. We are a quick, get rich, get in the spotlight as quickly possible society and I do not think that is the appropriate atmosphere for breeding future baseball players.

On the contrary... Read the article on ESPN by Michael Wilbon. All ratings are up due to interest and hatred of the Miami Heat and Lebron James.
That was one game. Wait until the series is over and I will bet you that the ratings will be down from last year. Even so, the ratings over the last few years in the NBA are up, thus the NBA is one of the few leagues actually improving (I dislike basketball)

Mets82 . . . thanks for posing the question.

I have been thinking about this for several weeks now because Keith Hernandez during a Mets broadcast was asked about the future of baseball and he had a grim outlook. To paraphrase, he said baseball is a team sport and takes a lot of discipline and practice. There is not a lot of individual glory and being in the spotlight as there is in other sports such as College Football.

Again this is just paraphrasing, but I think he is right. We are a quick, get rich, get in the spotlight as quickly possible society and I do not think that is the appropriate atmosphere for breeding future baseball players.
Hence, why the NBA is growing popularity and the other sports are not, particularly baseball

What do you guys think of the playoff start times for the NBA Finals and Stanley Cup Final? Since it was Memorial Day, do you think they should have started the NBA Finals on Sunday night and have a game Memorial Day Monday. Or start the Stanley Cup Final on a Sunday night or Monday afternoon? What do you guys think? Or should they leave it the way it is?

What do you guys think of the playoff start times for the NBA Finals and Stanley Cup Final? Since it was Memorial Day, do you think they should have started the NBA Finals on Sunday night and have a game Memorial Day Monday. Or start the Stanley Cup Final on a Sunday night or Monday afternoon? What do you guys think? Or should they leave it the way it is?

I think starting a PLAYOFF game of any sport at 9 pm or later to be WRONG.

As for the SCF's you mentioned Sunday night, I see nothing wrong with that other than the fact, why not in the afternoon instead ?

Lots of sports are in trouble.

Baseball - Baseball's fundamental economic system is broken. It is simply impossible to come up with a scenario where 2/3rds of the teams are even competitive, and even that includes a young team having one good year of pre-free agency, before the fire sale. Selig, the least qualified person to hold a important national job on this continent, sold cities on the idea that a "new ballpark", generally replacing the 70s era "new ballpark" was the cure, and, at the minimum, turned a blind eye to steroids. Well, all these new ballparks have not changed the system, and the steroid cheats have destroyed the historical perspective that is most important in baseball. Baseball will lose franchises in the next 10 years.

Basketball - Took an gander at a regular season NBA crowd lately? Seas of empties. The over-hyped big teams get a nice TV rating in the deadest month of TV of the year. Fine. The sport is, and the support for the sport is, a mile wide and an inch deep. It is pro wrestling in 1995. A bubble waiting to pop, because there is no substance there. Part of the marketing seems to be to tell AAA cities that having the NBA makes them "big".

Hockey - The NHL did not exist for people living south of I-70 even 15 years ago. No teams, and no national coverage. No interest, really. The "sunbelt expansion" was briliant, and a gamble worth taking. But Canadian cities, flush with temporally at-par dollars, are tempting the NHL into a trap. When the economic cycle flips, these places cannot support teams, and without a national presence, the league is of no national interest in the USA.

Football - The best run sport, because it wins its strikes on our behalf. Win this one.

I think the Mets are hurting, They Suck! LOL!

work.3295447.1.figsq,220x200,white,mens,f8f8f8.dont-be-a-dick-bro-v3.jpg

To me is the L.A Dodgers as less and less people show up due to the attempted murder on opening day. You can clearly see it on televised home games. And it don't matter even now that there is an LAPD sub station.
The damage was done on opening day 2011 and lets not forget the bitter divorce with the owner lol.

The Dodgers issues are more related to the team than the assault. The team is playing bad, they have a bad owner, and people are protesting both scenarios. They do not want to support McCourt so they are not showing up. I guarantee you that once they good a descent owner, the team will play better, and people will start showing up again.

Well i do not think that there is any major sports that is in trouble . Well Sports are getting popularity rather than having trouble . Basket ball is the the most popular game .

NBA the only sport in 'trouble' IMO, with their opening salvo of terms to kick off labor negotiations to reduce player contracts 40%. I've read that it's gotten better, but oof, what a way to start. With the Heat committed to like $70m in salaries next year, it's another thing for Cavs fans to root for, a hard cap that puts them in a tough spot. Going from some of the most widely watched finals to a potentially ugly court and labor battle so soon after could prove troublesome.

Football - The best run sport, because it wins its strikes on our behalf. Win this one.
In order for 'us' to win, neither side can win. A long term deal that both of them can be equally happy (or unhappy) about is the most ideal one, otherwise it's rinse and repeat in a few years.

We'll see what happens with the Hockey labor situation too soon.

No sport is in some dire situation though that it may cease to operate or anything though.

Ratings ended up just shy of last year only because there was a game 7.

Game 6 this year was the highest rated game 6 in 11 years.

It was the third highest rating since ABC began televising the finals in 2003, behind last year's Game 7 (18.2) and Game 5 of the 2004 NBA finals (15.5 for Lakers-Pistons).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts