Do you think the 922 is ready for prime time yet?

jmcafee

Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
oregon
I have followed the 922 saga for over a year now, but not as intently for the past 6 months because I was tired of reading about the bugs and unimplemented features.

1. Early on the OTA module posed issues: low signal strength and high operating temperatures (as I recall). Is the SS still an issue?
  2. There were periodic issues with shows not recording (black screen), and lockups requiring reboot. Still an issue?
  3. Do you think the Sling is now working at a level comparable to the stand-alone version?
  4. Any showstoppers or real annoyances? Has it lived up to the hype from the announcement at CES 2009?
Thanks for your your comments. I have been waiting to switch to DISH pending maturation of the 922.

Jim

1. working great for me
2. no
3. no where near the stand alone version yet
4. even connecting to the thing to schedule recordings through dish remote access is spotty at best. As a regular DVR it's VERY reliable. As a box you want to connect to remotely in anyway, it sucks.

I installed two 922s the day they came out and it was a nightmare. Installed two more yesterday and it was way better. Decided to get one for myself :)

Be warned if you take the 922 in eastern arc territory, that the 922 will want to go to 119 for the initial software download. I had this happen and I ran the check switch and it saw all 3 eastern arc sats;77/72.7/61.5. But it refused to take the guide download or the initial software authorizing it till I installed a 119 sat in my check switch matrix. The DISH tech kept saying that it wasn't an issue and it was fixed ,but it is still an issue , just like it was last year when I got a 722k.

ive had a few probs with the OTA module, like tonight only 5 mins of the lost finale was recorded, and last week the FOX animated shows recorded about 30secs worth

I have had a 922 for about 2 months and has been working ok. The only thing I would really like to be changed is the recorded program list. I wish you could make it show a list of the recorded programs instead of the icons. After you get 50-100 recorded shows it gets really had to tell what you have recorded. I am still having some teething pains from hr21 even though the 922 is faster it is really really really slow in use compared to using the short cut keys on the hr21 remote. I just seems like you have to go through so many steps to do anything on the 922. I just end up using the online app on my ipad to do anything scheduling or deleting shows.

The only thing I would really like to be changed is the recorded program list. I wish you could make it show a list of the recorded programs instead of the icons. QUOTE]

Agreed... should make it an option to have either style. I also would like some guide options so it is larger like on the 722.

Up to ten different instances where 922 unit was programed to record and only about five minutes was actually recorded.
Tried to record via the buffer. It did record but kept recording for hours, without stopping. Would not delete or stop recording.
I have to remind you to call Dish with all your problems. When I spoke to the CSRs at Dish they state that no one else is experiencing any problems. They do NOT acknowledge these forum postings listing problems.

Up to ten different instances where 922 unit was programed to record and only about five minutes was actually recorded.
Tried to record via the buffer. It did record but kept recording for hours, without stopping. Would not delete or stop recording.
I have to remind you to call Dish with all your problems. When I spoke to the CSRs at Dish they state that no one else is experiencing any problems. They do NOT acknowledge these forum postings listing problems.

Aslo dish CSR are told to lie they indeed get alot of calls on your problem.

I'd say it's not quite ready. I still have at least one missed or corrupted recording each week. Which really hasn't been a big deal for me, but maybe for you, as I have my bedtroom 722 record most of our important programs just in case. Then if the 922 misses something, I transer them to my EHD and transfer them onto the 922. Last week however, my wife accidently stopped the recording of the second half of the season finale of Chuck, so my son and I had to watch that on my laptop.

I'm finding that the 922 is very sensitive to doing anything to timers while there are recordings in progress. I have recently experienced (alone or in combination):

1. Reboots (screen goes blank for 5-10 seconds), returns, recording is "stopped by STB reboot", and then picks up on reboot as a separate recording
  2. Inability to change timer parameters (priority, new/re-run, retention, etc). Save button on dialog does not always save changes
  3. Record light stays on after cancelling current recordings (reboot is only solution)
That said, after a hard boot (kill power for 60 seconds), I have yet to experience the "completed by user 2" scenario again.

I have to say my experience has overall been positive. However, I think my experience is also unique.

I had my 922 installed when we moved across town. It was installed within 3 days of it being released by the local Dish retailer in Ohio.

We had not moved yet so the 922 got to sit by itself and "Burn-In" for a week before it was really used.

I played with the sling functionality remotely and set up some timers remotely. Everything worked well initially.

Issues I have from time to time are minor. The other day I tried to remotely schedule a timer and my 922 never got it. Also not currently able to sling for some reason. Maybe I will try to reboot it tonight.

Only other minor issue is with the guide. If you navigate for a while the guide locks up and you have to cancel out and go back into the guide. I have become used to it.

I expect a few issues until they get the software stable. I would recommend this box to anyone. The way I see it, if my wife isnt complaining about it... its stable enough for the masses. My wife cant stand the little quirks that technology brings and this box for the most part has been super stable.

I'd say it's not quite ready. I still have at least one missed or corrupted recording each week. Which really hasn't been a big deal for me, but maybe for you, as I have my bedtroom 722 record most of our important programs just in case. Then if the 922 misses something, I transer them to my EHD and transfer them onto the 922. Last week however, my wife accidently stopped the recording of the second half of the season finale of Chuck, so my son and I had to watch that on my laptop.
+1 Sometimes a recorded show won't play to the end. It just stops as if you're at the end of the show. Also, there's a number of missing features that the 922 doesn't have that the 722 does.

Looks like people having problem here an there..I wants get 922, but because all this problem going on, gonna wait till sometiumes in next year I'm really happy with my 722k for now.

I have had my 922 since May 1st and I haven't had all the issues some of you are having. I have had a few small things that were a little weird but over all it's a great little receiver. I haven't missed a recording yet. I sling to my phone and computer and I would like to just use the sling app on the computer but using their site works. I would like their sling catcher thing to come out so I can use it to sling to my projector. Over all I'm more then happy with it. Also last night I found something kind of cool. If you hit info it will tell you what Sat you are using. Like say you are on HBO in info it will say in the bottom left side of the box you are on sat 129. Kind of cool I don’t remember seeing that on my old 722.

Also last night I found something kind of cool. If you hit info it will tell you what Sat you are using. Like say you are on HBO in info it will say in the bottom left side of the box you are on sat 129. Kind of cool I don’t remember seeing that on my old 722.

It's there. You have to hit info twice.

I have to count myself as one of the lucky ones who hasn't had significant issues with the 922. I have only had two missed recordings which occurred a day or two after the box was installed. Like cincyguy my wife is happy with the 922 also and she usually just tolerates my new gadgets.

There are definitely things that need to be addressed such as EHD archiving and removing the need to use Dish's website for Sling. Overall, though, I am very happy with the purchase (uh..err...lease).

I have had issues with pausing a show. Comming back to watch it. Then decide to record it so I rewind it to the spot where it began hit record and it will not record. My 722 did it with no problems but the 922 won't u can hit it as much as you want then it will say I have to many timers and I should delete them. Only thing to fix it is a hard reboot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)