Doctor Who - The Waters of Mars

Here's my take on the episode....

For once, the Doctor is absolutely helpless to avoid the inevitability of what must happen. As he said, the events occurring were a fixed point in time, unchangeable. It drove him mad that he could not help and he started to lose control and started believing he could control time. As stated above that the lack of the human companion to keep him in check is now affecting him.

One thing I don't quite grasp is the Dalek leaving Adelaide alone. How does that Dalek or any of the Daleks know how important Adelaide is to time? I had to go back and watch The Stolen Earth to try to figure it out and I'm still confused. The Daleks would have had to know how the events in that episode turned out to know what Adelaide presence as the leader of the first Mars settlement affects the future and that the destruction of the Mars base was a fixed point in time. I really will be curious to how they explain this one down the road.

All I know is after Torchwood: COE and some of the recent (including Waters of Mars) Doctor episodes, I'm really going to miss Russel Davies writing. He's really showing some versatility.

Edit:
Ah I found a very good explanation of why the Dalek left Adelaide alone. In the Genesis of the Daleks episodes from some time back, remember the Daleks are created from Davros, a mutated being who works with human like Kaleds on a distant planet. Since Adelaide is basically the inspiration that propels the human race into space, without her, potentially these Kaleds (who might be humans of some form) don't exist and the Daleks basically never get created. So potentially, the Daleks know this or are able to detect it or simply they can just detect that certain fixed beings/events.

Also, one other thing that I just realized in watching the end of Waters of Mars. Didn't the Gadget robot get wet or travel through the water or did it just look like it? Is it only coincidence then that the TARDIS returns to a winter scene and the water on Gadget becomes frozen to rear it's effects in the future spring?

Last edited:
Or more likely they just didn't know who see was. All they knew was that she was just a little girl.

Well, sure, but Daleks don't care about age or gender. In the Stolen Earth episode, they were ready to destroy everyone. To me it's just a plot hole right now, but they do always seem to tie these things up, but sometimes not for a couple seasons. That's what makes the show great is how intertwined some of the episodes are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)