Dod ???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
Why does it take so long to download a movie from Directv On Demand. I can Download and burn a DVD in like 15 minutes on home computer. and Want to know if I can Download VOD record another and watch live tv at the same time?

Why does it take so long to download a movie from Directv On Demand. I can Download and burn a DVD in like 15 minutes on home computer. and Want to know if I can Download VOD record another and watch live tv at the same time?

Are you able to start viewing the DoD movie within a minute or so of starting the download and never hit the end of the buffer? If yes then IMHO D* uses bandwidth management to help control their bandwidth needs at their hosting site. While pay for a bunch of bandwidth so it downloads quicker if people who will be watching don't catch up to the end of the buffer?

Yes, you're supposed to be able to record DoD while also watch something and recording. Earl at the other place says you can do a total of three recordings as long as DoD is one of them.

Are you able to start viewing the DoD movie within a minute or so of starting the download and never hit the end of the buffer? If yes then IMHO D* uses bandwidth management to help control their bandwidth needs at their hosting site. While pay for a bunch of bandwidth so it downloads quicker if people who will be watching don't catch up to the end of the buffer?

Yes, you're supposed to be able to record DoD while also watch something and recording. Earl at the other place says you can do a total of three recordings as long as DoD is one of them.
Cool not a big deal about the speed,But I did start watchen a movie right away and it caught up to where the movie was still downloading ,so I had to stop watchen it untill it downloaded some more. But D* said if I wait untill its 66% complete, then start the movie it won't happen. I like the idea,Theres a ton of stuff,and most of it is free.

What's your speed?

FYI - In the last HR20-700 CE's they changed the progress bar to change colors based on your download throughput, when it turns yellow it's a good chance that you'll not reach the end of the buffer vs. just changing the colors at set points of the download.

What's your speed?

FYI - In the last HR20-700 CE's they changed the progress bar to change colors based on your download throughput, when it turns yellow it's a good chance that you'll not reach the end of the buffer vs. just changing the colors at set points of the download.
I'm not 100% sure ,Verizon in my area only has 2 speeds, I just know I have the faster of the 2. How can I find out? Also will I be able to keep the movies I downloaded as long as I want,Or will they erase after 24 hours?

I'm not 100% sure ,Verizon in my area only has 2 speeds, I just know I have the faster of the 2. How can I find out? Also will I be able to keep the movies I downloaded as long as I want,Of will they erase after 24 hours?
To find your speed check out Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test as a site you can use.

As for your other question, I think it depends on the content I've seen viewable dates all over the place, sorry can't be more definite.

Run the speed test anyway to see what you're getting. The 3Mbps is the max speed, with DSL usually folks don't see that due to overhead and the farther away you are from the DSL DSLAM speeds will drop. IIRC the 3Mbps is right on the cusp as to the speed where you don't end up catching up with the buffer.

That's OK, that's 2.88Mbps, not bad. I'd say keep an eye on the CE release notes for your HR20 for the DoD progress bar update, hopefully that will help you determine when you can start to watch a DoD program and not hit the end of the buffer.

That's OK, that's 2.88Mbps, not bad. I'd say keep an eye on the CE release notes for your HR20 for the DoD progress bar update, hopefully that will help you determine when you can start to watch a DoD program and not hit the end of the buffer.
Got another ??? what do you know about hooking a Vip 622 to the internet, I know your a D* guy ,"I am too over E*" but fact is I do have Dish as well. Is it possible to get some type of an ethernet spitter, and run my Dish and D* of the one single wire so I don't have to run another wire. Or does it have to be seperate?

Got another ??? what do you know about hooking a Vip 622 to the internet, I know your a D* guy ,"I am too over E*" but fact is I do have Dish as well. Is it possible to get some type of an ethernet spitter, and run my Dish and D* of the one single wire so I don't have to run another wire. Or does it have to be seperate?

Sounds like all you need is an ethernet switch. Something like Linksys.com - Products/Wired/Basic Networking/Desktop Switches/SD205 would work. Basically anything that says ethernet 10/100 switch for at least 3 ports (one uplink back to your router and then two connections for the D* and E* DVR's). I just picked up a D-Link at BestBuy for like $35.

Nother question? I unplugged my Hr20 this morning to clean around my entertainment center,and plugged it back in ,And receiver would not load,All the light were on ,but no picture,so I tried just resetting and some results. So I unplugged Ethernet,and power cord ,and then it was fine without Ethernet plugged in. What do I have to go through this every time the power goes out?

No you shouldn't (none of mine do). I've seen reports that some folks have this issue, are you running the national release? If yes you might want to try the CE release, one's scheduled for tonight/Saturday and see if that fixes it.

No you shouldn't (none of mine do). I've seen reports that some folks have this issue, are you running the national release? If yes you might want to try the CE release, one's scheduled for tonight/Saturday and see if that fixes it.
Thanks for the fast responce! Yes National. I'm still scared to do a CE,after my H20 had a stroke from one.

Thanks for the fast responce! Yes National. I'm still scared to do a CE,after my H20 had a stroke from one.

I also had one CE that eventually bricked my HR20-600, just called D* and they replaced it.

Anyway, I've been doing CE's on both HR20-700's and the HR21-200 as long as they've been doing them and only once did I go back to the national release because of problems and at no time did it brick the box. Give it a shot, if you don't like it just do another forced download outside the CE window time and you'll be right back where you were before. If you decide to try it you might want to unplug your ethernet cable before trying it since a fix for it (if it is in the code) wouldn't be there until after the download/reboot.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)