Does Adding/Changing Services/Equipment extend your contract?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
My local cable company doesn't do any of that...they fix my lines for free, my signal doesn't washout in thunderstorms, if I leave they don't charge me a fee, when I began service they didn't charge me a fee, and that was just for internet. For basic TV service one just cannot beat cable. And we have Charter here , for goodness sake.

Oh, BTW, I have no experience with DISH so I refrain from commenting on that. I had 11 years with D*, installed all my systems myself from 1996-2007 except for my Slimline ( I had a broken arm, I couldn't do it), which I had to end up repeaking myself anyway because the 103 wasn't available here when they installed the dish, I've had about 10 different receivers and DVR's in that time, so I know just a bit more about D*.

Yes, FTA. And yes, its not for everyone. Just those of us that are tired of being raped by the satellite companies. :cool:

Curious, What does Charter charge for your HD package ? Your HD DVR fee ?

Jimbo

if you're under contract and you want to add or remove from your current programming, would this void your contract or void the rebates that are part of the contract?
No, you can adjust your programming without any effect on your contract. Now I am not sure how it works if you have a rebate with a package and try to change it, I have never done that. I am fairly certian you would lose the rebate and keep the current contract time frame though

Curious, What does Charter charge for your HD package ? Your HD DVR fee ?

Jimbo

I have no idea, because I don't get TV from my cable company. But from the mail they barrage me with, yes its more per month than the satellite companies, but no up front, no protection racket plan every month, free replacement if a box goes bad, no contract renewal if the box goes bad and I have to replace it, I'd bet its danged close if you go out the same two years.

The point of all this is to let prospective subs know that Directv is NOT "the shining city on a hill" that it used to be. And anytime someone blindly supports Directv I will be there to tell MY story, and let them make their OWN decision.

I have no idea, because I don't get TV from my cable company. But from the mail they barrage me with, yes its more per month than the satellite companies, but no up front, no protection racket plan every month, free replacement if a box goes bad, no contract renewal if the box goes bad and I have to replace it, I'd bet its danged close if you go out the same two years.
Stogie5150
You are correct about cable vs. D over a 24 mo period. I did the math for HD DVR’s with HD programming and posted it in another thread, but here it is again with a couple revisions.

With TWC I have 2 HD DVR’s and pay $14/mo/DVR ($8/HD DVR + $6 DVR Service) + $3/mo for 4 extra HD channels (HDNet Movies, UHD, Etc). Over a 24 mo period TWC totals $744.

D charges $199/HD DVR x2 - $99 promo = $299 and then $6/mo for DVR service, $10 for HD + $5 for 4 Extra HD Channels (HDNet Movies, UHD, Etc). + $5 lease fee. Over a 24 mo period, it totals $923.

To do a fair comparison, in the DFW area with my TWC package including HBO & Showtime), only gives me 29 national & local HD channels (not counting "On Demand", Cinemax or Starz HD channels). Below is my actual cable bill for last month of $103. Add the taxes/fees of $18 and it totals $131/mo.

D with the Plus HD DVR package, premiums & locals (comparable to what I have with TWC) will give me 49 HD Channels. For D, after you get done spreading the initial HD DVR cost over 24 mos, the Plus HD DVR package with service contract is $96 vs. $103 for TWC. If you back out my two cablecards $6, it's about equal.

I still plan to switch to D in the fall for all the HD sports, but there is one thing that is a bit misleading. They advertise 95 HD channels, but with the Total Package, including all premium and RSN’s there is actually 80 HD channels, plus your locals. To get to 95, they add 15 HD pay per view channels. With TWC counting pay per view, Cinemax and Starz HD channels, they offer 43 total HD channels. So D still has more then double the HD Channels that I can get now.

Monthly Charge(s)_______________Amount

08/01 - 08/31
Pick 2 Pays (HBO & Showtime)-------------- 22.00

08/01 - 08/31
High Definition Tier -------------------------- 3.00

08/01 - 08/31
Classic Digital Package----------------------- 43.95

08/01 - 08/31
Cable Card ---------------------------------- 2.95

08/01 - 08/31
Cable Card ---------------------------------- 2.95

08/01 - 08/31
Dual Tuner HD DVR W/rm -------------------- 13.95
Includes HD Receiver At $5.95 And DVR Service At $8.00

08/01 - 08/31
Dual Tuner HD DVR W/rm --------------------- 13.95
Includes HD Receiver At $5.95 And DVR Service At $8.00

Subtotal----------------------------------- 102.75

but there is one thing that is a bit misleading. They advertise 95 HD channels, but with the Total Package, including all premium and RSN’s there is actually 80 HD channels, plus your locals. To get to 95, they add 15 HD pay per view channels. .

They do advertise it as such though.

They do advertise it as such though.

Not sure what you meant by, “They do advertise it as such though”. I get solicitations in the mail from them D the time. It always says "95 National HD Channels" with an asterisk*. Then you look at the footnotes and it says:

*To access DIRECTV HD programming, HD Access fee ($9.99/mo.), a DIRECTV Slimline Dish, HD receiver, and HD television equipment are required. Number of channels varies by package.

It took me a while to figure it out, until they recently updated their website. Now it shows a listing of 95 HD channels under "HD Channels” tab on the D website.

In addition, I wouldn't consider "Pay per View" to be National channels. So that is what I think is a bit evasive and misleading. They still have the most HD channels, so that is an accurate statement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)