Does anybody even like D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jessykanc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jul 9, 2005
I just bought a sanyo plv-z2 front projector specifically so I can watch HD football games. I used to go to bars to watch the broncos/colts/panthers play, but I would find that a full day in a bar usually ran me $40 bucks and my butt would be sore from the crappy seats. I figured that if I was averaging even $25 bucks per week, that comes out to be $400 over a regular season, and I could have friends over and we could sit all comfy cozy and not be innundated with smoke.

So I found SatGuys and thought I had found a place where people would share their experiences. Reading the posts it sounds like no one in the D* forum actually likes D*, and that everyone is running from them as quick as possible.

Does anyone here think they get good service and quality from D*?

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
Reading the posts it sounds like no one in the D* forum actually likes D*, and that everyone is running from them as quick as possible. Does anyone here think they get good service and quality from D*?

Not sure what you are reading exactly, the overwhelming majority of subs are satisfied; maybe just pulling a few negatives out to make an example, but there are 14+ million subs and its growing every month and a faster rate than the others. Heck look at the award and satisfaction numbers listed for DirecTV vs all the other options.

Do you see some subs leaving, YES, just like all the other services. Many of these people leaving just LOVE to hop from one service to another each time a new deal pops up regardless. (FROGS!) Then they will use any excuse to justify the act.

Could DirecTV improve in some areas, YES! The vast majority of all services need to do the same thing and even more so, and if you read up, DirecTV is doing just that, things take time, patience and many 100's of millions of dollars.

AND then there are the users that just want to DUMP all over DirecTV because they are bent & disgruntled user that got screwed by other services.

Nothing will ever be 100% perfect or please everyone all the time; heck, thats life. Some people can't seem to get passed the fact its just TV.

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Welcome to SatelliteGuys... While D*s Pq is not up to E*s imho.. I'm watching Nascar and switching to the Astros game right now... watched Battlestar Galacticas this a.m. on UHD.. hopefully when mpeg4 comes about the PQ will improve. As to service, I have had D* for over 7 years and have had only one Receiver problem due to Lightning ( an RCA before RCA became a laughing stock)as to Customer service, I started out with Ussb and a local provider who sold out to Pegasus after they merged (ussb and direct) so actually I have dealt with Direct (with out a middleman)for about 7 months... always have gotten American Csr's and friendly service with.

sateck01

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 25, 2004
directv is the absolute best service for any satellite based platform, period

what you are hearing on here are a few dreamers and disgruntled ex voom (doom) subs , that want it all NOW and THIER way at the price THEY want to pay.

this aint burger king, you are getting it the right way from rupert or the sorry *ssed way over at ergens . there is not now and probably never will be a third satcaster after the voom debacle.

pick and choose who you listen to on here, seperate the dreamers and whiners from the realists.

wait till charper chimes in, hell say it a lot better than i can.

sateck01

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 25, 2004
charper1 said:
Not sure what you are reading exactly, the overwhelming majority of subs are satisfied; maybe just pulling a few negatives out to make an example, but there are 12+ million subs and its growing every month and a faster rate than the others. Heck look at the award and satisfaction numbers listed for DirecTV vs all the other options.

Do you see some subs leaving, YES, just like all the other services. Many of these people leaving just LOVE to hop from one service to another each time a new deal pops up regardless. (FROGS!) Then they will use any excuse to justify the act.

Could DirecTV improve in some areas, YES! The vast majority of all services need to do the same thing and even more so, and if you read up, DirecTV is doing just that, things take time, patience and many 100's of millions of dollars.

AND then there are the users that just want to DUMP all over DirecTV because they are bent & disgruntled user that got screwed by other services.

charper,

there are 14.75 million subs not 12 million. what have you been drinking at the cook out????? it will be 15.25 million, at least, by years end

charper, i see you edited your post.....cool!!!

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
sateck01 said:
charper,

there are 14.75 million subs not 12 million. what have you been drinking at the cook out????? it will be 15.25 million, at least, by years end

Thats why I said 12+ Million, I didn't have the latest sub numbers so I didnt want to stretch it. I will go back and edit it. Better low ball than over state!

damaged

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 22, 2005
South of Heaven
Every provider has problems. And each problem each provider has, has some customers who care about those problems, and you have some customers who are unaffected by those problems and don't care. Every persons idea of good or bad service differs.

The logical way to resolve this is to try different providers, and decide what is best for you and your situation, as everyone elses opinion is just that, their own opinion, based on their experiences, not your own. :)

But to answer your question, I like DirecTV better than my old cable company, I do not have HD, so I will not comment much on that, since these days HD is more about marketing and charging for access then PQ or content.

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Actually I have had E* about 5 years and have only had one receiver die, and have yet to get an overseas Csr, I did have to battle and play csr rouelette to get a replacement for the dead 501. Both Services combined give me the programing I want as there is no, nor is there a glimmer of getting Ota Hd here...

Madtown HD Junkie

Occasional Supreme Being
Supporting Founder
Jun 3, 2004
Madison, WI
D* might not be perfect but it is still the best out there right now unless your cable CO. rocks(not charterin Madison WI). Wait it out for a bit till D* annouces new Programming and/or new incentives.

DTV TiVo Dealer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 26, 2003
Scarsdale, NY
Jessy, welcome to SatelliteGuys! I love your projector choice; you definitely made a great decision on the display. Hopefully you have a good screen and a dark room so you can enjoy all of the stunning visual capability of your projector.

I can't imagine where you would have read that DIRECTV customers are not happy or leaving the service. IN fact, DIRECTV has the lowest churn and highest new subscriber acquisition of any multi-channel services available. Last quarter DIRECTV added 505,000 new subscribers, which is more than Dish Network and ALL cable companies combined through America.

DIRECTV definitely is positioned to deliver more HD programming in the near future than all other carriers and offers excellent DVR and customer service.

I hope you choose DIRECTV as your video content provider so you will be able to have the best programming services to view on your new HT system and I would hope you select my company to set up your DIRECTV account and system purchase.

-Robert

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
JESSY: I am sure you will love the Sanyo PLV-Z2, I have the Z3 and I am crazy about it. I current throw it onto a High-contrast, 106" Da-Lite Deluxe B, but I am thinking of going up in size and to the Model C. What do you use?

gchasse

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 7, 2005
I have had D* since 99 and for the most part the service has been good. Cable companies are not in a position to grow their HD offerings to the extent that D* will be able to and that is going to be a problem for them soon. I don't weep for them, they have screwed us over for so long.

I get better pq with D* and more channels at a smaller cost. And unlike cable, D* is making an effort to improve customer service.

jessykanc

Jul 9, 2005
plv-z3?

I see you are using a plv-z3! What do you think of it? I was scared of the price tag since I didn't know much about front projectors. How long have you had it?
What drew you to that model over others?

BTW, thanks for the reply and the logic. I don't do online groups much, so I forget that just like with any group, some will like D* and some won't like D*

I sat down and did the $$ calculations... turns out that with Time Warner running $70 a month (here in NC) and D* running 45 ... the extra cost of the Sunday Ticket package isn't so bad, comparatively.

I guess it is all in perspective. :) Thanks again.

charper1 said:
Thats why I said 12+ Million, I didn't have the latest sub numbers so I didnt want to stretch it. I will go back and edit it. Better low ball than over state!

jessykanc

Jul 9, 2005
That water looks great!!!

Way cool! Thanks for the info. I feel better about plunking down a grand or so (commitment over a year), hearing some good stories about service.
How was the BG movie? I am wanting to get a copy of it!

I've only got 720P, so not so sure that pq will be as critical as if I had 1080i.

BTW, that water looks great! Reminds me that I need to get the beach pronto! (coming up to best beach weather here in the carolinas).

dfergie said:
Welcome to SatelliteGuys... While D*s Pq is not up to E*s imho.. I'm watching Nascar and switching to the Astros game right now... watched Battlestar Galacticas this a.m. on UHD.. hopefully when mpeg4 comes about the PQ will improve. As to service, I have had D* for over 7 years and have had only one Receiver problem due to Lightning ( an RCA before RCA became a laughing stock)as to Customer service, I started out with Ussb and a local provider who sold out to Pegasus after they merged (ussb and direct) so actually I have dealt with Direct (with out a middleman)for about 7 months... always have gotten American Csr's and friendly service with.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)