Does anyone think the day will come where the cell will replace the average home computer?

Besides editing 3D video(which I believe to be the most taxing computer job done on a work day basis) doing technical analysis for stock trading is also something that is difficult to do on a phone. However, I have cloud apps now that do a fair job with managing multiple portfolio accounts, options and basic research on the ipad. The key to having stuff like this go from large multi-screen desktops to ipad displays is cloud apps with very fast internet connection.

The key to all this is fast internet connection and reasonably sized display screen. Soon Voice to text utility will replace the keyboard ( Mike- It's coming sooner than you think)

While my LTE is the fastest mobile internet available, it still is not 100% compared to my Comcast cable as a benchmark. Verizon LTE is down to 3G about 5% of the time and not everywhere. I compare it to Comcast cable reliability from about circa 2003-2004. But for speed, I can't complain as it can do 2 streams of HD video from my sling boxes when its up and working. The ipad is very good but still needs some really good apps. Having a quarter million apps does not mean they are great quality. I think 99% of them are just crap! For great apps and good productivity we still need a desktop running OSx or win7.

Last edited:
Not me - I just can't see doing Photoshop on a phone, no way - nor comparing spreadsheets and documents.

Photoshop is in the "power user" category so I don't expect that to ever change. We're talking about the 95-98% of the people neither need nor use the full capabilities of a PC.

I can use an external monitor on my Motorola Photon and once I get around to unlocking the bootloader I can run a full Ubuntu distro on it which has almost everything I need for my everyday computing needs.

Mike:

You don't need to be convinced... Devices like Asus is delivering or is soon to deliver (the PadFone, the Transformer and I forget the 3rd tablet with the integrated keyboard) and what Motorola is doing with their lapdocks are hints of where it's going for most people.

Nothing that you mentioned earlier can't be done on a tablet. The quad-cores are going to be coming with a vengeance (Transformer Prime, the first, is shipping Dec 12th).

Perhaps. It will be a LONG time before any tablets run the software I use on a daily basis. Not that they can't handle it with computing power, but I don't see any mad rush for developers to rush to produce tablet versions.

Tablets have changed the world, and will continue to do so. But I think it is premature to pray the eulogy of the desktop computer. Maybe in 10 years I will look back on this post and laugh. Maybe not.

Don:

We're back to the regular users vs. power users argument. Let's differentiate between the two please.

No! It has nothing to do with who uses the computer. It has everything to do with what people need to use on the computer. My wife is hardly a power user on computers but she has a workstation with triple screens because she has to compare and transfer data from large spreadsheets from various sources in her work. You just can't go making up your own rules and expect everyone to follow. Likewise, a power user like a TV station BE who has a iphone interface to the transmitter can tweak and read the station's RF signal on his smart phone.

As for photoshop, I do believe that we will one day have an app that allows for photoshop like function on a tablet that uses a stylus pen, like on a Wacom pad but directly on the screen. I feel that will be the best, even superior to the non touch screen photoshop way to create digital art.

Mike 10 years is a long time from now. Development work now ongoing for a new technology that will link via USB two tablets, making them work as one device sharing the resources of the other. One such development is code named the "wormhole network."

don:

The vast majority of people use their computer as a portal (for lack of a better word) to various Internet based services (Web and mail) and very little else. maybe an occasional document and very few a spreadsheet.

These are the people I'm talking about. give them the ability to use a larger screen workspace as well as attaching a keyboard and mouse via usb and they have everything they need.

why you think i am changing the rules as i see fit i don't know.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I tend to agree with what John is talking about.One of the main reasons that todays smart phones are so popular is because they can do what many do on there home PCs now.People love the internet and now they can take it anywhere via a cell phone.If i wasn't such a gamer! and didn't need the high data for some streaming i would likely get rid of my comcast internet and just use my phone.Like the old wired telephone! i see the home pc getting less popular in time!It wont die but it wont be the number one way people today cruse the internet.I'm talking about the average home user! not the computer in the business place where the pc should be able to rule for a while to come.

OK, John- I will concede- If we limit the domain to just J6P then yes, a smart phone with texting and web browser for web 2.0 aka Facebook may be all he will ever use. I was speaking about the industry in general, but the nature of the title does indeed indicate "for the J6P user".

samsung surges past apple

Panic pictures with auto upload?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts