Does Channel Master have greater distance range than Winegard?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Now I'm not going to spend anymore money on a new antenna, but right now I have a Winegard HD7698P antenna which says it can reach up to 65 miles (though I've seen it receive further), but I read that Channel Master can receive up to 100 miles? I'm curious, so is that true? Or they about the same?

I've also read that Winegard is sturdier material. If that is the case, I'm glad I've got what I've got. Is that true?

Anyways, the Winegard HD7698P is what the dealer hooked up for me. Is it the right one? I live in Rochester, MN and sometimes (not always) would receive stations from the Twin Cities, MN and La Crosse, WI with this antenna. Would I get them more often with a Channel Master? Just curious.

Which Channel Master antenna model were you considering?

Well, I'm not actually going to get it, I don't want to shack up anymore money, but like the CM5020 or the CM3020? I just want to know if I made the right decision with the previous one. I'm going to be happy with what I have, but I'm curious. Again, the two things I want to know about are distance range and ability to stand against the elements.

A general rule of thumb for rooftop antennas is the more elements the further it will reach. Design and construction can affect the range a bit but that's a good rule of thumb for comparison sakes. Your Winegard HD7698P has 64 active elements and the Channel Master CM5020 has only 28. When comparing the gain specs the Winegard is better for VHF while the CH is slightly better for UHF so deciding which is better for you would depend on whether the majority of stations you watch are VHF or UHF (and don't let anyone tell you there are no VHF stations since the switch to digital, that's just not true, you need to do your own research for your area). A good starting point for research is http://tvfool.com/

As far as standing up against the elements, the biggest concern is always wind. The Winegard is considerably larger therefore presents more area against the wind. I have a 134 element antenna mounted on the roof of my shed up on the hill. It gets hit very hard by the wind, especially in the Winter, While one of the mounting straps has bent twice in 11 years the antenna itself has never been damaged. However, it's sitting on an antenna rotor which, if the wind blows too hard, allows the rig to rotate thus reducing the risk of damage. All I have to do is click the rotor remote and tell it to re-center itself and alls well again. I'm also running a mast-mount CH signal amp. I'm able to lock in more than 40 channels and sub-channels with this rig.

An average long range antenna goes up 100 miles (low and high VHF) and 60+ miles (UHF). In my area, I get three adjacent markets OTA from:
Augusta, GA (line of sight path on most stations)
Columbia, SC (2edge path)
Charlotte, NC (2edge and Tropo)
Greenville, SC (my home market, about line of sight and 1edge path)

I do have an AntennaCraft C490 antenna. I've also picked up distant ones from Atlanta, and Charleston (including WCIV the ABC station which was on RF 34 V 4.1 and now on RF36 V 36.2 after the Sinclair merger. I haven't picked up WCBD 2.1 yet) which the latter is 162 miles facing 119-120 degrees from my location.

I wish antennas go up to 150-200 miles.

An average long range antenna goes up 100 miles (low and high VHF) and 60+ miles (UHF). In my area, I get three adjacent markets OTA from:
Augusta, GA (line of sight path on most stations)
Columbia, SC (2edge path)
Charlotte, NC (2edge and Tropo)
Greenville, SC (my home market, about line of sight and 1edge path)

I do have an AntennaCraft C490 antenna. I've also picked up distant ones from Atlanta, and Charleston (including WCIV the ABC station which was on RF 34 V 4.1 and now on RF36 V 36.2 after the Sinclair merger. I haven't picked up WCBD 2.1 yet) which the latter is 162 miles facing 119-120 degrees from my location.

I wish antennas go up to 150-200 miles.
Lava antennas claim to go 150 miles, but you can barely get your local locals with them. I had one of those crappy antennas once.

My 300th Post! :D

Even though I'm in a moderate to ultra weak reception area, I get about 70+ OTA channels in various directions. I've recently got a 25' telescopic antenna mast with extra 5' mast and antenna rotor from ChannelMaster for Christmas. It hasn't been installed yet.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I do live in Greenwood, SC (outside city limits) the closest (WNEH 38.1 PBS/SCETV) is about 17 miles North, and the most distant in my area I could get with my outdoor antenna if used 30' above ground level (WJZY 46.1 FOX O&O out of Charlotte, NC) is 101 miles North Northeast.

I've done quite a few antenna comparisons and the Winegard HD7698P is a very good antenna. A friend of mine has one and it works very well for him. You got a good one, Edison.

I've got the old CM4228 and have had good luck with it, but I've heard that the Antennas Direct XG91 will give a bit more gain. I'm considering whether it's worth the money to change over to it. It has a much sharper pick up area compared to the 4228 though, so you have to get it exactly on the station for it to work well. Have any of you compared the 4228 to the XG91?

Larry
SF

I have to correct my earlier post, my RS antenna does not have 134 elements, that's a typo. What I have is a 160" boom with 57 elements. The range is listed as 190 miles for VHF, 100 miles for UHF, and 100 for FM. It's a model VU-190-XR sold in the early 2000s. While distance is great another feature is the ability to pull in digital signals from the backside nearly as well as the front. Also it's angle of strength is very wide, you don't have to be exactly on the xmitter to lock a watchable signal so if you ever find one of these monsters grab it but don't try to unsnap the elements and fold them back along the beam to transport it, the plastic snaps will break. That's the one weak point.

Now, you say you live in a valley so here's a little tip on how to improve reception. There is an anomaly with broadcast signals called knife-edge-refraction. Signals coming towards you are refracted downward as they hit the ridge in front of you. What that means is that you can improve signal strength somewhat by tilting the antenna upward slightly to point it directly at the edge of the ridge.

Mileage ratings by antenna manufacturers are for general comparison purposes only.

None of them can be counted for having any basis in fact.

No antenna can pull in TV reception at 150 miles over the horizon with any consistency, only on instances where mountaintop to mountaintop reception is possible might 150 miles even be feasible.

Reactions: Mr Tony
The best I do is Wilmington, DE, 94 miles as the crow flies and that's with the Blue Mountain just 2 miles south of my house between me and them. As I said though, that's with a mast-mounted amp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts