Does DirecTV have an "answer" to the Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For me it seems that Dish network is trying to get business for the four major broadcast networks. Don't they know that there are a whole bunch of other channels that have great shows on during prime time? If/when one of my HRs dies, I plan to replace it, possibly with the HR34. But, that would be a bit more costly since I'd have to upgrade to SWM/DECA install.

Hey, for a while there ESPN seemed to have 32 hours of poker per broadcast day :) I guess sometimes they do break a sweat... :)

In a similar vein.. how many hours of music per day on MTV, VH1, CMT? :)

Poker falls into the E of ESPN ...

That would be Entertainment & Sports Programming Network.

I have 3 HR24's in 3 rooms....can record 6 channels at once if I want to. Wife can record what she wants on hers and I record what I want....so why all the hoopla over HR34 is beyond me.

I have 3 HR24's in 3 rooms....can record 6 channels at once if I want to. Wife can record what she wants on hers and I record what I want....so why all the hoopla over HR34 is beyond me.

True but in my case I only have two Dvrs and the Hr34 was perfect for me. The wife usually uses both tuners of the hr24 and many times I've used four tuners at the same time on recordings while using the the fifth one to watch live tv. Its been great having seven tuners in total filling my needs quite nicely. Not everyone needs an hr34.you're a good example.

satellite unlimited had a ad in today paper wanted to i35 tecs so dish must be thinking that business going to pick up.

You don't have to manage all the recordings between 3 DVR's, the HR34 is basically a one stop shop.

Are those in HD in Indy?
I'm in Minneapolis. When I say "Indy" channel I mean an independent channel. No affiliation to a network.

Minneapolis on D* has the Big 4, PBS, CW and My in HD..only SD channels are a 2nd PBS (only in SD OTA) and the independent station

$12 a month savings for me going from 2 R22's (in same room) and a H23 (only on acct to get HD on the R22's) to a HR34
added a tuner and saved $12....sounds like win win to me

You don't have to manage all the recordings between 3 DVR's, the HR34 is basically a one stop shop.

Can you watch......say a recorded Greys Anatomy in the bedroom while watching a recorded Ax Men in the LR while watching a recorded The Voice in the other BR while your recording 6 other shows? HR34 does all this?

The only real dis-advantage the HR-34 has over the Hopper is that you can't pause live TV on the other receivers. The work around is recording what your watching and then going to the DVR list and playing it back.

The Hopper is really at a dis-advantage with the 3 Tuners, and the fact its advertised as a 6 tuner system is b.s, as most customers are not going to be able to understand why it can record 6 programs betwen 8 and 11pm, and 4 of them have to be on the major networks.

The only real dis-advantage the HR-34 has over the Hopper is that you can't pause live TV on the other receivers. The work around is recording what your watching and then going to the DVR list and playing it back.

The Hopper is really at a dis-advantage with the 3 Tuners, and the fact its advertised as a 6 tuner system is b.s, as most customers are not going to be able to understand why it can record 6 programs betwen 8 and 11pm, and 4 of them have to be on the major networks.

So, you are saying anything you want to watch you going to start recording after every channel change so, you can skip back?
I think that is huge disadvantage, It is not like you can not have 2 Hoppers and get 6 tuners.

People are smarter then you think Claude, they do understand how things works once they use them. ;)

Friend said:
So, you are saying anything you want to watch you going to start recording after every channel change so, you can skip back?
I think that is huge disadvantage, It is not like you can not have 2 Hoppers and get 6 tuners.

About the only things I watch live are games and even then, I usually either set a timer or hit record in case I am running late or have to leave so it really would not be that big if a deal at least for me.

Friend said:
People are smarter then you think Claude, they do understand how things works once they use them. ;)

People do understand how things work once they use them. The problem is, by the time they figure out how it *really* works, they are already stuck in 2 yr contract. While i really like the concept behind the Hopper, the marketing on the Hopper is somewhat misleading. Unless a person does a lot of research in forums like this, they may be disappointed when their unit arrives.

you can, but right now hoppers wont talk to one another
so you cant see both at the same time

and with a joey using a hopper tuner its never really the full amount
if you have 3 joeys and 2 hoppers
thats only 3 tuners available for recording

with the hr-34 integrating into an existing setup all i need do is replace an h24 with it and add 5 tuners to my setup

In my case we don't watch too much network programming but still I have left PTAT on as I have found many new shows and they are interesting to watch. All other programming repeats most of the time so, my timers are set in the morning, afternoon when there is no live TV watching (just in case)...

Also if the argument is most of the people watch recorded program then it should not matter any way if you have one HR34 or 2 Hopper. Personally I think using FULL DVR in the every room for live TV outweighs need for more tuner. Anyway I guess whatever floats your boat :)

Can you watch......say a recorded Greys Anatomy in the bedroom while watching a recorded Ax Men in the LR while watching a recorded The Voice in the other BR while your recording 6 other shows? HR34 does all this?

I think you kinda lost me but during my initial installation of 1-HR34 and 3-H25's, before the installer left I hit record on 3 or 4 different shows. I went to the list in all 4 rooms and hit play on a show that was recording. It worked just fine. I'm not sure if we have done 5 recordings at a time and had 4 different previous playbacks at the same time though.

The whole reason it doesn't work that was is the H-25's (our Joeys) have their own tuners, the Joey's come neutered and do not have their own tuner. We can turn our H-25's into "Joey" mode though just by hitting record on the H-25. Now we are in Joey mode where we use a tuner from the HR34. I prefer the H-25's to have their own tuner so they do not use up the tuners meant for recording when people want to watch live TV.

this is the only disadvantage i can see with the HR34 compared to the hopper. and a disadvantage that doesn't apply to me but understand those who do have an issue with this.

cost like you mentioned is $99. free in some cases even for current subs. my HR34 didn't cost me one cent. can't beat that. and it works with my current dvr giving me a 7 tuner system.

How did you get the hr34 free? they want $400 from me?

Status
Please reply by conversation.