does directv have recorse

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I dont think any Cable company should have the right to do this. If its on your house, it is and should be considered your property and not the cables.

I dont care if they consider it a "security thing" the home owner should have the right to say yes or no to it.

They don't. Which is why the cable company can't do dick to him for cutting the lock off. They had no right to lock it in the first place. It contains customer-owned wiring and therefore he has all rights to access it.

Hutch, that's up to the customer to lock it, not the cable company. What you describe is akin to the sheriff randomly padlocking your doors with his own locks 'to keep the knuckleheads out'. They especially have no business locking it after a disconnect.

JerseyMatt said:
They don't. Which is why the cable company can't do dick to him for cutting the lock off. They had no right to lock it in the first place. It contains customer-owned wiring and therefore he has all rights to access it.

Hutch, that's up to the customer to lock it, not the cable company. What you describe is akin to the sheriff randomly padlocking your doors with his own locks 'to keep the knuckleheads out'. They especially have no business locking it after a disconnect.

Uhm it's nothing like that. Should they lock it? No. Do they? Yes. After a disconnect? Yes they still do. I agree they should have the customer has the right. Directv isn't allowed to use the cable boxes so I don't run in to this however seems you can open a box up, throw a coax line to it and string it to your neighbor for them to use your Internet or cable tv is why it's locked. If you owned a business and didn't want its product stolen would you take precautions? Yep! Anybody that's trying to make a buck would. I don't disagree with what you're saying Jersey I'm only stating how it is. There is nothing the cable companies are going to change about it and will still be locking them. I had one on my house with nothing but a ground block in it however I took it off and put a larger one on to house all my Directv/Dish/local cable companies Internet all in 1 box. If the OP Is that upset all he needs is a 1/2 drill bit and drill around the lock. Then it still looks good and all he needs to do is put zip tie on it.

Uhm it's nothing like that. Should they lock it? No. Do they? Yes. After a disconnect? Yes they still do. I agree they should have the customer has the right. Directv isn't allowed to use the cable boxes so I don't run in to this however seems you can open a box up, throw a coax line to it and string it to your neighbor for them to use your Internet or cable tv is why it's locked. If you owned a business and didn't want its product stolen would you take precautions? Yep! Anybody that's trying to make a buck would. I don't disagree with what you're saying Jersey I'm only stating how it is. There is nothing the cable companies are going to change about it and will still be locking them. I had one on my house with nothing but a ground block in it however I took it off and put a larger one on to house all my Directv/Dish/local cable companies Internet all in 1 box. If the OP Is that upset all he needs is a 1/2 drill bit and drill around the lock. Then it still looks good and all he needs to do is put zip tie on it.

First of all, Directv IS allowed to tie into customer-owned wiring. If that means going into the box, that's what will be done. Again, it is not cable company property, so they have no business locking it or otherwise dictating its use. If they are so concerned about theft, they can cut the drop at the pole.

And you really think the only place it could be tapped and 'strung to the neighbor' is at the box?? That has absolutely nothing to do with why they lock it. It's not like electrical/gas/water, where there is access to unmetered service inside the box. They lock it (especially after a disconnect) simply to be vindictive.

You can't steal cable internet. You'd have to be a total moron to try, because they'd know instantly. And even cable video theft is going away, because everything is migrating to digital and requires a STB. It's not like the old days where you were just grabbing a signal as it went by - encrypted digital/DOCSIS is an active two-way link, and the head end knows all. Trying to hack it is like running a 3M card with the phone line plugged in.

Last edited:
As the installed cable and other equipment is your property, the people who damage it are engaging in vandalism. They should be handled the same way that a tagger or someone who throws a brick through your window is.

JerseyMatt said:
First of all, Directv IS allowed to tie into customer-owned wiring. If that means going into the box, that's what will be done.

Again, you're wrong. Directv "code" is we can NOT use an excisting cable box. The ground block, switch, and connectors must all be visible to a tech supervisor or QA inspector. If they can't see it the job is an instant fail. The most we can use a box for is to barrel lines in to the house. Existing cable? Yes we can use that but technically if we want to get dirty about it it SHOULD be replaced with solid copper cable, copper clad steal is a fail as well but we all know that nobody is going to lose signal with that as long as it's RG-6

Better sue Comcast, Bright house, Att and several others in your lawsuit then because they are all locked. You need certain tool to get in them. It's common practice.

Not so .... what YOUR looking at, with AT&T anyways is the DEMARC and the sub has every right to it and HAS access to it at any time, matter of fact, I ASK the sub if they went to the box to determine which way the trouble was, most say NO, I tell them it's for THIER use, they say thats why they called me out.

but why would the moron tech disconnect my D* the idiot could clearly see there was a gound block and a line comming from the swim lnb then the line goes into the house to the on que where the swim 8 and power inserter. i just dont get why they did that and locked me out and D* wants to charge me 49.99 for it thank god the tech who installed me gave me his number to help me get back up and running and cox business is going ofter the moron who disonnected me when there was a tag that clearly stated DO NOT DISCONNECT

but why would the moron tech disconnect my D* the idiot could clearly see there was a gound block and a line comming from the swim lnb then the line goes into the house to the on que where the swim 8 and power inserter. i just dont get why they did that and locked me out and D* wants to charge me 49.99 for it thank god the tech who installed me gave me his number to help me get back up and running and cox business is going ofter the moron who disonnected me when there was a tag that clearly stated DO NOT DISCONNECT

Why ?

Because he wanted to be an A$$ ...

I wouldn't sat he wanted to be an ass but more a long the lines of needing uptraining. He should've asked if you was still using the cable for any service. That's my number 1 question to the customer.
Jimbo I had no clue you was Att, how does uverse work with coax lines!? We ar seeing a lot of that in my area and people complaining about pixelization on it. Is it because of coax?

Comcast does have the right to put/relocate all of its wiring into a "House Box" which may look similiar to this http://ibankcoin.com/woodshedderblog/files/2011/06/Ground-Wire-Going-In-Closeup2.jpg as would any other cable company, they also have the right to lock this box. whose property the box is, as in who it belongs to, I am not going to address as i am not a lawyer, but since it contains the feed from the street whether it be ped or pole, we have a right to lock it. Yes i agree your tech was an idiot for cutting the cable line, but its a simple fix for a tech to fix with a toner. just connect the one line used for your smc to the drop/ug. btw the "specialty tool" to unlock that box is available to anyone, its about 20bucks, and looks like this. Ripley Terminator Tool for Viewsonics

twizt3dkitty said:
Comcast does have the right to put/relocate all of its wiring into a "House Box" which may look similiar to this http://ibankcoin.com/woodshedderblog/files/2011/06/Ground-Wire-Going-In-Closeup2.jpg as would any other cable company, they also have the right to lock this box. whose property the box is, as in who it belongs to, I am not going to address as i am not a lawyer, but since it contains the feed from the street whether it be ped or pole, we have a right to lock it. Yes i agree your tech was an idiot for cutting the cable line, but its a simple fix for a tech to fix with a toner. just connect the one line used for your smc to the drop/ug. btw the "specialty tool" to unlock that box is available to anyone, its about 20bucks, and looks like this. Ripley Terminator Tool for Viewsonics

Thank you. From what I'm told by cable technicians is that if somebody don't know what they're doing it can cause "noise" to back feed to then pole and cause the whole feed for blocks to go hay wire. I'm a satellite tech so as far as cable goes with the poles I'm no expert not am I with satellite but my knowledge is there and not with local cable feeds.

I wouldn't sat he wanted to be an ass but more a long the lines of needing uptraining. He should've asked if you was still using the cable for any service. That's my number 1 question to the customer.
Jimbo I had no clue you was Att, how does uverse work with coax lines!? We ar seeing a lot of that in my area and people complaining about pixelization on it. Is it because of coax?

Lack of bandwidth ... sometimes it's as simple as twisted pairs, sometimes a bad bond ...
U-verse is very difficult to trouble shoot, at least so far .... it's still kinda new up here in my area.

Usually not the coax, some times our signal is brought in on Coax, other times ethernet

I was wondering. We don't have fiber here yet and I was puzzled. It's always the same complaint too so I figured it had to be something with the coax. It's new here too but they've announced fiber being brought in so I may jump ship in the next year or two to learn something different.

I was wondering. We don't have fiber here yet and I was puzzled. It's always the same complaint too so I figured it had to be something with the coax. It's new here too but they've announced fiber being brought in so I may jump ship in the next year or two to learn something different.

If your lucky enough to be one that gets "Fiber to the Home", go for it, most are FTTN (Node)

I'm not sure how any of it works yet so I can't say. I'd rather know then act like I know. I'm excited to learn about it though!

Yes, they can enclose THEIR wiring, but if they block access to customer owned wiring in a single dwelling home, they have no leg to stand on if someone breaks it off. The wiring in a customer's home belongs to THEM. They have no right to block access to it. Funny thing is, they do their disconnect at the street/pole. There is no purpose for them to lock it except to try to keep people from accessing their own wiring with a competing service.

^^ This.

And if you are no longer a Comcast customer, you are perfectly within your right to forcibly remove said box from your house if you wish. You seem to keep missing the point that the company is NOT ALLOWED to block access to customer-owned wiring.

I'm actually surprised that all wiring went through that Mediacom box. Up this way, all company owned boxes are separate, and usually only for Phone and Internet purposes. However, the original owner (I'm only the third owner of the residence) finished the basement and ran his own wire for Cable. There is a sense of entitlement for Cable installers that isn't true for Satellite installers. Dish came out, ran their own lines (which is comon practice) and removed only one jack in the basement to set up TV 2 on my receiver, which he handed to me and gave a full explaination. A few years later, another installer who ran new wiring only cut Dish wires and left my owned wires in tact. When Comcast came a few days before Dish's original install for phone and internet, I had to demand that the installer leave the basement lines alone, where he was trying to justify that they weren't needed, and in his way.

My parents had FiOS installed. Becuase they are clueless in this area, they asked me to be there for the install. The Verizon installer, asked me about any wiring that was inside the house; however, he did cut Comcast's wiring outside the house. When I asked why, he said that it wasn't needed. I explained that it was up to us to determine what was needed on the house. He finished the install and didn't say much after the incident.

But to get to the OPs coment, All lines here, outside the house are ran on the side of the house and not boxed in. So I'm confused why DirecTV and Cox put wiring inside Mediacom's box. It's either DirecTV and Cox tried a quick easy install, or more likely, Mediacom is blowing smoke up your butt about it being their box. Knowning how much Dish and DirecTV have simular install practices, and dealing with Dish first hand, I would believe that DirecTV would have the same precision with installing service.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)