does directv have recorse

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trucker2435

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
az
i canceled my cable with mediacomm cable for directv when thier idiot tech came out the unpluged the dish and my business internet/phone i have with cox do they have the right to do that. they unhooked every cable on the side of my house and locked me out of the box when the cable company has thier own lock box by the street.

Depends on the situation, but , Yes they have a right to disconnect THIER system from your feed.

Many time they will do it at the house, instead of at the pole.

This is the Cable company your talking about right ?

This is a mediacomm issue, not directv.

Directv possibly may have recourse is you was ALREADY hooked up with D*, but Im not completely sure.

(Again Im assuming you was referring to the Cable company that unplugged ya)

i canceled my cable with mediacomm cable for directv when thier idiot tech came out the unpluged the dish and my business internet/phone i have with cox do they have the right to do that. they unhooked every cable on the side of my house and locked me out of the box when the cable company has thier own lock box by the street.

I'm not even sure what they did based on what you wrote here.

yeah I'm confused too

punctuation works wonders as do complete simple sentences (and not incoherent ramblings)

I'm not sure what the OP meant there either but when I had Directv installed probably 4 years ago before I switched to Dish the Directv installer cut my Charter cable line from outside the house without asking us. We are still using Charter cable for our broadband. We didn't realize our internet was out until after he had left and we had to pay Charter a service fee to come back out and reinstall our cable modem.

I noticed when we switched to Dish earlier this year that the installer cut the wires coming from our Directv satellite dish and turned it so it is facing the wrong direction. You can still clearly tell its a Directv antenna so its not like he was trying to hide it. He just turned it so it was facing out and to the left instead of out and to the right. There is still about 2 feet of wire coming from the dish and then it is cut and hanging there. He claimed he did that so he would have more room to work during the install. That didn't turn out to be a problem for us because we are no longer using Directv but we may be sometime in the future.

It seems to be common practice, at least in my experience, for installers to cut the lines of the competition. If we ever switch back to Directv we would have to have an installer come back out when we probably wouldn't have had to if the Dish installer just left it alone.

I'm not sure what the OP meant there either but when I had Directv installed probably 4 years ago before I switched to Dish the Directv installer cut my Charter cable line from outside the house without asking us. We are still using Charter cable for our broadband. We didn't realize our internet was out until after he had left and we had to pay Charter a service fee to come back out and reinstall our cable modem.

I noticed when we switched to Dish earlier this year that the installer cut the wires coming from our Directv satellite dish and turned it so it is facing the wrong direction. You can still clearly tell its a Directv antenna so its not like he was trying to hide it. He just turned it so it was facing out and to the left instead of out and to the right. There is still about 2 feet of wire coming from the dish and then it is cut and hanging there. He claimed he did that so he would have more room to work during the install. That didn't turn out to be a problem for us because we are no longer using Directv but we may be sometime in the future.

It seems to be common practice, at least in my experience, for installers to cut the lines of the competition. If we ever switch back to Directv we would have to have an installer come back out when we probably wouldn't have had to if the Dish installer just left it alone.

To me, this practice is UNACCEPTABLE ..... how do they know your not using more than one service.
I would be contacting thier superior.

I would have shot my installer had they done that.

When I got D* installed he just ran a new cable...didnt worry about the Shaw Direct and 2 FTA setups ;)

What box are you referring to that they locked? Cable companies usually don't have a NID (network interface device) on the side of the house, this is only found in phone and fiber. Whatever box they locked is most likely your property, and as such you can either break it open or cut the lock off (as long as you own the building).

What they did basically amounts to vandalism, and I would call the police and file a report (to get the incident on record). They have no right or business cutting wires inside the demarcation line, especially ones that have nothing to do with their service. They are yours, you own them, and you could sue Mediacomm over this, since they caused service issues with not one but TWO other providers.

Take detailed pictures of everything he did before you have it fixed.

Last edited:
This is a mediacomm issue, not directv.

Directv possibly may have recourse is you was ALREADY hooked up with D*, but Im not completely sure.

(Again Im assuming you was referring to the Cable company that unplugged ya)
yes the cable compay did disonect every thing at the house and LOCKED me out of it
i was told the box on the side of the house is MINE

What box are you referring to that they locked? Cable companies usually don't have a NID (network interface device) on the side of the house, this is only found in phone and fiber. Whatever box they locked is most likely your property, and as such you can either break it open or cut the lock off (as long as you own the building).

What they did basically amounts to vandalism, and I would call the police and file a report (to get the incident on record). They have no right or business cutting wires inside the demarcation line, especially ones that have nothing to do with their service. They are yours, you own them, and you could sue Mediacomm over this, since they caused service issues with not one but TWO other providers.

Take detailed pictures of everything he did before you have it fixed.
yes i work from home and mediacomm cut the lines the go inside the house and put a lock that requires a special tool to remove on the box that covers the connections from the elements. i lost about 6 hrs of overtime because i had to demand a tech that didnt want to come out and i have it on my video survailence sytem. an one kicker one of the lines had a pink tag 'Cox Business service DO NOT DISCONNECT" i was very pissed and will prob sue but dont know where to go since the company is based in Iowa

As I said, first thing to do is take pictures and file a police report. If you have video of him cutting the cables, you are in an even better position. The box is yours, so you are legally entitled to get a pair of bolt cutters and remove their lock so you can have the services fixed. Call Directv and Cox and explain to them what happened. Given that you have video evidence, they may simply roll a truck to you and go after Mediacomm themselves for vandalizing their equipment. But contact an attorney anyway to see what your options are. Make sure you mention the lost wages and any incidental damages resulting from your loss of internet (missed calls, lost orders, etc).

Different companies have different practices but I know that the cable company I work for, the box belongs to us which is why we keep it locked.

JerseyMatt said:
You have no right to lock any box that contains customer wiring, whether you own it or not.

Better sue Comcast, Bright house, Att and several others in your lawsuit then because they are all locked. You need certain tool to get in them. It's common practice.

Around here Cox uses the boxes all of the time. They are also for digital phone, so it serves both cable and phone.

Better sue Comcast, Bright house, Att and several others in your lawsuit then because they are all locked. You need certain tool to get in them. It's common practice.

No its not. If a demarcation box is used, it has a company access requiring a tool, and a customer access. They are not allowed to lock the customer access because it contains customer-owned wiring. The lock hasp on such boxes is for the CUSTOMER to lock it if desired, NOT for the utility to play vindictive baby games. And since the OP is no longer a Mediacomm customer, he is well within his right to rip the box and the pole drop off his house and tell MC to come get it off his property.

If it's attached to his house though he will be told he "owns" the box. However the boxes are locked to keep knuckle heads out of it from tampering with people's cables. Like stated it serves as several reasons so keeping people out of it is a good thing.

I dont think any Cable company should have the right to do this. If its on your house, it is and should be considered your property and not the cables.

I dont care if they consider it a "security thing" the home owner should have the right to say yes or no to it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)