Does Dish 1000 work in S Florida?

Dolfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I just had my installer come to put in the Dish 1000 and he says it won't work down here in S Florida. He did not try to install one, nor did he bring one, he instead wanted to install a second dish on 61.5. I told him Voom was mirrored on 129 same as 61.5 and he was surprised. I called Dish and the customer service girl I spoke with agreed with the installer. I cannot face East with the 61.5 so the 1000 is my only option.

Dolfan said:
I called Dish and the customer service girl I spoke with agreed with the installer. I cannot face East with the 61.5 so the 1000 is my only option.
You should be able to do either. The dish1000 may not work in the Northeast US which is north of Washinton DC and east of Cleveland. You're south of that and also 61.5 should be also visible for you.

it won't work, because the normal "Florida lobe" in the conus beam is shifted over into the Gulf, due to the satellite being at 129 instead of it's original design of 110 or 119. By being at 129, it's conus print is shifted over to the west by 10 or more degrees, thus cutting off the eastern extremes of New England and Florida, as well as south Texas.

I suppose I have the same question as Dolfan. I'm on Florida's West Coast (Sarasota). I've talked with two dealers; one in town and the other being Dish Depot. Dish Depot says that he gets 75-80 out of the 125 scale. The dealer in town just said "it works fine".
I would like to hear from anyone in Florida who has actually tried to get 129 with the Dish 1000.

there was someone in extreme south texas that according to the satellite coverage map shouldn't have been able to get 129 but could. I think that its possible. I'm sure there is someone here thats tried.

Yep, iv'e hit 129 with only a dish 300 here in Sarasota FL. I got 80-90 points signal, and also got the "Congratulations, You Have Dish 1000" channel on my 322. I also hooked in my neghbor's 811, and sure enough, the voom channels were in the guide.

kdarcangelis870 said:
Yep, iv'e hit 129 with only a dish 300 here in Sarasota FL. I got 80-90 points signal, and also got the "Congratulations, You Have Dish 1000" channel on my 322. I also hooked in my neghbor's 811, and sure enough, the voom channels were in the guide.
Hi:
I'm also in Sarasota, and struggling with whether to get the Dish 1000 or use a separate Dish aimed at 61.5.
How about cloud cover (not that we get too much of that) affecting the 129 signal?

Ron Tobin said:
Hi:
I'm also in Sarasota, and struggling with whether to get the Dish 1000 or use a separate Dish aimed at 61.5.
How about cloud cover (not that we get too much of that) affecting the 129 signal?

I would get whatever would be the cheapest method. Since you are in Sarasota:) and some of the locals come off of 61.5, E* has to provide you with the second dish for FREE, with no strings attached. Now since Voom is on 61.5, you would be "killing two birds with one stone." But, if you want, you could still always go for the Dish 1000 if you wanted a 1 dish solution, but I think it's like a $100 upgrade (check with dish to be sure). Oh and the look angles are lower for the dish 1000 so trees will be more of a problem unlike the 61.5 which is at a 55 degree look angle.

Oh and about the rain fade. I never got a chance to see what rain does to 129. I only left my dish pointed there for like 1 hour just to see what i could get. But on 61.5, rain fade is pretty much normal (tall thunderheads usually knock it out), but then again I am only using a Dish 300. A dish 500 is 2'' larger in diameter so you would get slightly more gain, thus helping rain fade even more.

Last edited:
I live in Coconut Creek, FL, a suburb of Fort Lauderdale. Durring the weeks following Huricane Wilma, While doing repoints, my guys and I hit 129° several times by accident with dish 500's pointed a little too low and west. We did not get a quality signal though, 40's. I am going to try with a 24" dish 300 just for 129° to see what I can see. I will try to post when I have the results.

I think the issue may be trying to get 110/119/129 all on a single dish designed for use in the mid-conus. I think the look angles to the three satellites will not match the design of the Dish1000 very well. That said, perhaps the answer is a separate Dish300 or 500 aimed only at 129.

Last edited:
Getting signal on 129 is one thing, DMA is another story! Check the link donnelly posted. kinda sums it up, for sub.

Dolfan said:
Ok I guess I will not get Voom. Thanks for the replies! This really is a great forum. Very informative.
There's always 61.5 using a second dish and also 129. The problems some where stating was using a dish1000 in certain regions produced weak signal level because of the skew angles where with a single second dish wouldn't have that problem.

jergenf said:
There's always 61.5 using a second dish and also 129. The problems some where stating was using a dish1000 in certain regions produced weak signal level because of the skew angles where with a single second dish wouldn't have that problem.
I have an extra Dish 500 and Dish Pro LNB from when I tried to get 61.5. You are thinking that will work for 129?

Dolfan said:
I have an extra Dish 500 and Dish Pro LNB from when I tried to get 61.5. You are thinking that will work for 129?

Maybe I'm missing something here but ---- if you're going the separate dish route (which is the way I'm leaning), why not aim it at 61.5 instead of 129? I would expect 61.5 to be much for us here in Florida.

Ron Tobin said:
Maybe I'm missing something here but ---- if you're going the separate dish route (which is the way I'm leaning), why not aim it at 61.5 instead of 129? I would expect 61.5 to be much for us here in Florida.

I do not have a clear view to the Southeast (61.5) from my location so I'm trying to get 129.

Dolfan has some type of LOS obstruction keeping him from getting 61.5. (Post #1)

There is a section in the Adding 61.5 article (also applies to 129) that addresses using a Dish 500 with DP Twin, but it's a bit easier if you have a separate LNB.

Dolfan said:
I think you have a shot for either satellite. BobaBird has more insight on this subject.
BobaBird said:
Dolfan has some type of LOS obstruction keeping him from getting 61.5. (Post #1)
There is a section in the Adding 61.5 article (also applies to 129) that addresses using a Dish 500 with DP Twin, but it's a bit easier if you have a separate LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts