Does Dish care about audio sync issues?

cornflakes

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 9, 2005
I've been seeing so many threads here about audio sync issues. I had Dish for a few years, then I left them when I moved to a FiOS service area, and after about a year with FiOS, I'm back with Dish.

One thing I had forgotten about Dish was audio sync issues that pop up from time to time. I didn't have any of that with FiOS, but now that I'm back with Dish, now I remember how annoying that is.

I still don't know if this is a DVR issue or Dish's. When I called Dish, they had me restart my DVR and everything, but none of that helps. They said they'll look into it but nothing seems to change.

BBC America HD is especially bad. I'm also noticing this on KTTV-HD (Los Angeles Fox 11). I know others have complained about BBC America HD before.

What can we do to get Dish to pay attention to this?

They either don't care or don't know what to do about it. I'm thinking the latter of the two but maybe that's me being optimistic that they'll eventually solve the problem.

I hadn't seen much Audio sync problems until I switched to an HD receiver. Now it happens more that it ever did on the SD receivers.

Dish may or may not have sync issues, but you may be jumping to conclusions.

OTA is just as bad with no receiver involved. It is worse for some channels and some shows than others. Same applies to Dish. It may well be the source that is the problem.

A receiver with adjustable audio delay is a must have these days. Especially with HDTVs that have a slight video delay due to the video processing.

Last edited:
A receiver with adjustable audio delay is a must have these days. Especially with HDTVs that have a slight audio delay due to the video processing.

Definitely. I have mine set to about 2 points to sync with my picture. So my tv and audio receiver sound comes out in sync.

I'll report it to Dish again and hope they take a look at it...

I have a 722k and the 922 so no sync options. Both of them have the same sync issue on those channels. They both go through HDMI for output. My receiver doesn't have audio delay options, but even if I did, it wouldn't work because not all channels have sync issues, and some are worse than others.

Oh well, I'll report it to Dish anyhow and see what happens...

A receiver with adjustable audio delay does work. After a while you get to know where it needs to be set for different inputs/channels. That's where the adjustable part comes in. It can be a pain in the rear constantly adjusting the delay but it beats the alternative. I've pretty much just found a middle ground between my different sources, it may not be spot on for everything but it's pretty close.

I haven't seen any audio sync issues on the DN channels I watch other than the usual small video delay that has been there with every HDTV I've seen, but I don't watch very many different DN channels.

Several years ago, I had the predecessor of the DVR. All signals were processed throught the unit and there was an audio sync problem. The only advantage of this receiver was that you could pause live tv for up to 1/2 hour. I switched to Directv and did not have this problem on a regular receiver. This was pre-HD tv and I felt the problem was the fault of the Dish receiver recording.

I have been a Dish sub since the demise of Voom TV and never had a problem with the Voom audio sync on a regular receiver. I still feel the current audio sync problem is DVR related. I have never been able to adjust my surround sound receiver enough to eliminate it.

I complained to Dish about the problem years ago and they just pretty much blew me off. I think they still have the same attitude. If it is a DVR problem, it is probably an extensive fix and they obviously don't feel that it is a major problem, so I wouldn't expect any improvement in the foreseeable future.

A lot of people do not want to acknowledge that sync issues often involve their TV's. From time to time, sync goes wonky on mine. I turn it off, then back on and viola! All is well.

Try going to the tv with the hdmi first and use optical to the audio receiver. I noticed going to the receiver first caused the delay. The tv seemed better about keeping them in sync.

HDTVs definitely have audio sync issues. Usually not so much when using the TV's internal speakers, obviously the TVs have an audio delay to compensate for the video delay, but when using a receiver for audio there's always audio sync issues, at least with every HDTV I've used and that's been about half a dozen of them. It's the video processing in HDTVs, it makes a slight lag in video, that's why you need a receiver with adjustable audio delay to compensate for the video lag.

HDTVs definitely have audio sync issues. Usually not so much when using the TV's internal speakers, obviously the TVs have an audio delay to compensate for the video delay, but when using a receiver for audio there's always audio sync issues, at least with every HDTV I've used and that's been about half a dozen of them. It's the video processing in HDTVs, it makes a slight lag in video, that's why you need a receiver with adjustable audio delay to compensate for the video lag.
I'm not quite sure I agree with that blanket statement. In my case, and as I believe are most people's, the problem is intermittent. Making an adjustment on the receiver would further complicate the issue when the TV is syncing correctly, would it not?

Dish may or may not have sync issues, but you may be jumping to conclusions.

OTA is just as bad with no receiver involved. It is worse for some channels and some shows than others. Same applies to Dish. It may well be the source that is the problem.

Could be the feed that Dish receives. When our locals when HD, there was a sync issue on one of the channels. When I checked the OTA feed, there still was a sync problem. It was quickly cleared up and I've had no problems since

Thanks for the knowledge, this describes my experience exactly.

I have sync issues with my primary "DVR" (211 w/ EHD). I checked the settings hints in this thread and no joy. (Then I remembered that they pertain to "real" DVRs, d'uuhhh!) I should check w/ my 622.

I'll try to be more exact about when and under what conditions I have the issue. I don't recall any problems with LiL HD channels received through the 211, nor when received by the OTA tuner in the 211. I have HDMI running from the 211 to my receiver to the TV, and also a direct component/optical connection from the receiver to the TV. I'll first check to see if I can "reset" with a power-down, then also verify if there's a difference between the two connections...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)