Does Dish Hopper 3 Supports HDR10 ?

ikm19

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Houston
I am in the market and looking for new 4k tv, I was wondering if h3 supports the new hdr format, I am pretty sure it doesn't support dolby vision as it seems it doesn't have the chip.

For future-prof I would like to chose my receiver and my tv wisely, because that's the only options you don't change every year.

I know we don't have yet any 4k tv channels yet.

Thanks

I am in the market and looking for new 4k tv, I was wondering if h3 supports the new hdr format, I am pretty sure it doesn't support dolby vision as it seems it doesn't have the chip.

For future-prof I would like to chose my receiver and my tv wisely, because that's the only options you don't change every year.

Thanks
I believe Scott has answered yes to this question.

Looks like it supports 10 bit and I think hdr was 8 so i'd say yup.

HDR requires 10-bit color depth and HDMI 2.0a ports. (HDMI 1.4 has the bandwidth for only 8-bit color depth.)

http://en.tab-tv.com/?p=13477
Does the Hopper have 2.0 hdmi port and HDCP2.2
If not then it does not support HDR10A

According to this article dish does support HDMI2.0
And HDCP2.2. So the Hopper can support HDR10A from Netflix

If the HDMI port is not 2.0A it can be updated to 2.0A through a firmware update. HDMI2.0A is needed for HDR10A

Here is the article

http://m.about.dish.com/press-relea...d-4k-experience-most-simultaneous-recording-p

Thanks
HDR from an app like netflix is a different story, meaning the H3 will but the app may not. In fact right now I believe it does not.

Heck, they are still working on getting 4k netflix issues resolved. :)

Last edited:
What size panel are you looking at? Do you have a Brand preference? What is your budget? There are less expense 4K panels that are as future proof as you can be at this time. There is the OLED panels that will blow you away. But unfortunately there is the sucking sound when you look at you bank statement. I bought a budget Samsung JS7000 50" 749.00 to dip my feet in the 4K world. Bedroom :) Very happy. Has HDR. Current HDCP. All features that are retaliative to current and known 4K playback. Local dimming. up-scaling. Nano crystals. Is only a 8 Bit panel but plays 10 bit as well with the UHD Color turned on. Have used it with the Netflicks 4K app on the TV and the picture is stunning. I have read many negatives on different panels even the one I bought. Have not been affected by them as of yet. When the main viewing room goes I am hoping Samsung has OLED at that time. Currently that is my set of choice. Good luck

I am looking for a 65" and this will replace my old sony w900a tv, and don't want to spend more than 4k on tv.

I am looking for a 65" and this will replace my old sony w900a tv, and don't want to spend more than 4k on tv.
Look for this. UltraHDpremiumLogoDone.jpg :)

What you guys think about vizio p series. 65" is really cheaper than sammy 9k series. It also as dolby vision and hdr.

I just got a Sony XBR65X930D. I am absolutely amazed at how great the picture is on this set. I am coming from a Samsung PN59D8000 plasma, that I am now using in my bedroom. I was wary about going to LED from a plasma set, but I am very pleased with this Sony. It is even good from off angle viewing. Just something to think about. I got this one for $3300 from Abt Electronics.

Just bought a Vizio P55. So far, it's great. Need to get it calibrated, etc., but the hardware is just spectacular. 126 zones of local dimming and HDR (Dolby vision, with HDR10 coming), so it's very versatile. The tablet remote is pretty cool. Being able to mess with picture settings without having the menu on the TV is really great. All for about 1/2 the cost of the Samsung 8500 series, which is edge lit. For the money, it's the best UHD set out there, IMO.

Can anyone confirm if Dish Network Hopper 3 supports Netflix HDR or if it just supports 4K resolution? I have the hopper 3 and a new vizio 4K UHD tv that supports HDR and Dolby Vision. I can't get the HDR to work though.

Just bought a Vizio P55. So far, it's great. Need to get it calibrated, etc., but the hardware is just spectacular. 126 zones of local dimming and HDR (Dolby vision, with HDR10 coming), so it's very versatile. The tablet remote is pretty cool. Being able to mess with picture settings without having the menu on the TV is really great. All for about 1/2 the cost of the Samsung 8500 series, which is edge lit. For the money, it's the best UHD set out there, IMO.

2014 model? Sure you got that model number right?

Can anyone confirm if Dish Network Hopper 3 supports Netflix HDR or if it just supports 4K resolution? I have the hopper 3 and a new vizio 4K UHD tv that supports HDR and Dolby Vision. I can't get the HDR to work though.

Make sure you have the HDMI cable plugged into the #1 input. Not sure if the H3 supports it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)