does dish network have more weather related problems than directv?

If you are on the western arc then the satellite locations are about the same. So any rain fade you might have would be about the same for both.

However if you are on the eastern arc it's hard to say. I am on the eastern arc here in Connecticut and only have rain fade on really heavy storms.

Back when I had the old 3LNB DirecTV dish for SD content, it did seem very sensitive to rain fade, but when I got the big 5 LNB dish rain fade seemed less pronounced. That could just be I got the new dish pointed better, or it could be something else. I am on Dish's Eastern Arc now, and even with all the storms we've had this summer, I've only lost signal once when I was actually watching TV. No recordings have been affected (that I've watched so far).

I've had both services recently. Both have about the same resistance to rain fade in my experience. If there is a big storm between your dish and the satellite, service will generally go out for a few mins. This is not something I would concern myself with when choosing between the two services. They behave the same in this regard.

I was a Dish customer for 11 years and during that time I was on the Western Arc. Last March I was contacted by Dish that I had to be migrated to the Eastern Arc and was done so, since that time each and every time it rained moderately my signal went out. Now prior to that I could count on one hand the number of times I lost signal over the 11 years I was with them. Those times were during violent storms where you were more importantly paying attention to if you needed to take cover and not worrying about my sat signal being out. DISH twice sent out techs to try and remedy my situation, which included the last time a new dish, lnb and cabling to try to bring my signal levels where they were suppose to be, but they could not improve them. The last tech could not explain why my signal levels were in the high 30's to low 40's during a clear sunny day with NOTHING blocking the dish. At any rate, with the wet weather we had this spring and summer and my growing animosity of paying for channels I never watch, I made the decision to drop my satellite pay account. I cannot say if my signal levels had stayed the same as they had been prior to my switching arcs, so I did not lose my signal during an entire rain shower, if I would still be with them, as I was already leaning toward pulling the plug. But, being without sat coverage for an entire rain shower certainly did push me to do it sooner rather than later.

I was a Dish customer for 11 years and during that time I was on the Western Arc. Last March I was contacted by Dish that I had to be migrated to the Eastern Arc and was done so, since that time each and every time it rained moderately my signal went out. Now prior to that I could count on one hand the number of times I lost signal over the 11 years I was with them. Those times were during violent storms where you were more importantly paying attention to if you needed to take cover and not worrying about my sat signal being out. DISH twice sent out techs to try and remedy my situation, which included the last time a new dish, lnb and cabling to try to bring my signal levels where they were suppose to be, but they could not improve them. The last tech could not explain why my signal levels were in the high 30's to low 40's during a clear sunny day with NOTHING blocking the dish. At any rate, with the wet weather we had this spring and summer and my growing animosity of paying for channels I never watch, I made the decision to drop my satellite pay account. I cannot say if my signal levels had stayed the same as they had been prior to my switching arcs, so I did not lose my signal during an entire rain shower, if I would still be with them, as I was already leaning toward pulling the plug. But, being without sat coverage for an entire rain shower certainly did push me to do it sooner rather than later.

Have you contacted DIRT? Depending on the receiver, those readings seem pretty low.

EA usually has more rain fade since most cold fronts/squall lines tend to line up in the EA's LOS. It's not that big of a deal, though. With EA you could have signal while WA is out. So EA could have signal at some point while DirecTV is out. WA will have about the same amount of rain fade as DirecTV, if not less, since Dish utilizes Ku as opposed to DirecTV's Ka.

As for the person having problems with EA, high 30s to low 40s on a clear day is pretty low. Typically people get mid-40s to mid-50s. Less chance of rain fade.

Last edited:
Did you actually read my entire post? Try reading it again. Contacting DIRT really isn't going to help me at this point! Just for the record, I did get tech visits thru DIRT.

Sorry, I did read it, but it wasn't clear to me that you had actually already discontinued service. I can see where I missed the past tense at the end.

EA usually has more rain fade since most cold fronts/squall lines tend to line up in the EA's LOS. It's not that big of a deal, though. With EA you could have signal while WA is out. So EA could have signal at some point while DirecTV is out. WA will have about the same amount of rain fade as DirecTV, if not less, since Dish utilizes Ku as opposed to DirecTV's Ka.

As for the person having problems with EA, high 30s to low 40s on a clear day is pretty low. Typically people get mid-40s to mid-50s. Less chance of rain fade.

Yes, I checked last night, and I get in the low to high 50s on all the transponders I checked.

Their uplink center in Gilbert Arizona has unusal rain. That's why 72 is down. But only for a couple minutes at a time. Even DTV customers here in Phoenix are affected

Their uplink center in Gilbert Arizona has unusal rain. That's why 72 is down. But only for a couple minutes at a time. Even DTV customers here in Phoenix are affected

I assume this is because of the tropical storm remnants that just went through there? Unusual weather events can happen anywhere to any company. I recall the 2004 winter olympics being broadcast in SD only for the first couple of days due to a blizzard in NYC interfering with the uplink/downlink for NBC. This after I had just spent $200 on an HR10-250 specifically to watch the games in HD. :mad:

Yea. It was the monsoon. But even the monsoons usually don't hit us that hard. It was glorious, if your house is prepared for stuff like that. Luckily mine was. Go about 2 miles down the street, and there are still some houses that are complete flooded. Lots of foundation issues. For those that were flooded, but had no noticeable damage, got checked, and their dry wall is all water damaged. Because I do direct irrigation at my house, it is built ready for flooding.

Lol. End of us wrecking and burning because of our lack of experience with rain is over. Yea finally 91 degree highs. I'm excited over it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)